Dog attacked me and wife

Dog attacked me and wife

This is a discussion on Dog attacked me and wife within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday evening (11/23/2010) me and my wife went for our evening walk. Usually about 45 min's or so. I had my S&W 642 with CT ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog attacked me and wife

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Dog attacked me and wife

Yesterday evening (11/23/2010) me and my wife went for our evening walk. Usually about 45 min's or so. I had my S&W 642 with CT Grips in pocket and walking with a cane from http://www.canemasters.com

A few street lights but still dark spots between them.

Enjoying each other, talking, walking..... MONSTER came bursting out of his (or her) yard out of the dark right at us. Instinctively I jumped between the dog and my wife yelling and swinging my cane. My wife aimed her flashlight in the dog's face (helped me out there she did). He wanted me bad but stayed just outta reach of my cane.

The homeowner / dog owner must have heard the commotion and called to his dog. The dog quickly ran back inside. I yelled at the guy but he went inside and didn't answer me.

I called my local PD (most close friends of mine from the 9 years plus I used to work reserves with them before I went Federal Police myself) and they dispatched an officer.

We waited in the street till one of my friends showed up. We explained the situation to him & he went to the guy's door. I told him to let him know his dog came really close to being shot dead.

He spoke with the home owner - came back and told me that he let him know if it happened again he'd write a citation AND that I'd be perfectly legal if I'd shot his dog. The man said he usually keeps him on a shock collar but was on the phone and didn't notice him get out.

Good thing it wasn't kids or anyone else not prepared in the street that time.

Dang thing was on us so fast had to use cane (glad I had it) wasn't enough time to use gun.

Next time will have cane AND will Open Carry.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 24th, 2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: fixed title
    For God, Family and Country!

Glad you and the wife are ok. Good thing you had your cane with you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Glad you and wife were able to stay free of 'bites' and police reports.
    Perhaps the owner should be wearing the shock collar.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice job. Glad you called the police. I made the mistake of not calling the police in a similar situation a few years ago. Since then i've heard lots of news reports about people, children, getting attacked by dogs.

I cant help but think that people kept letting dog owners get away with not controlling their dogs (like I did) until someone got hurt. So from now on, If I'm threatened by a dog while walking down the street, or hiking on a trail, I'm making a report.

Administrator
    An angry dog that is in attack mode can close distance incredibly fast & (of course) at night things get more difficult yet.
    Folks that carry OC Spray (to fend off a possible attack) when walking their own dog need to actually have it "in hand" because there is usually just no time to go fishing around in a pocket or purse for it.

I have already had one of my dogs attacked in the past, the predator dog had a bite grip on my dog in the head and ear area & would not release until I was able to physically break its ribs with a boot kick. My dog almost lost an eye in that attack but, luckily the area around that eye was able to be surgically repaired.

That incident happened years ago - also at night & that attacking dog never barked or growled and I never saw it coming until it was actually on my pooch.

It just came out of nowhere between two parked cars.

Glad that all went OK for you ArmyCop.
    I would not hesitate to shoot any dog that tried attacking me, Wife, or my dog.
    I am a dog lover but, I have no love for uncontrolled attack dogs.

Wow, am glad you came out of that OK Armycop. The feeling of an adrenaline dump is a really strange feeling after such an incident isn't it?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i attached a jogger container of oc spray to the dog leash and i carry my own container when out walking...have armed it twice but managed to get out of trouble before it was necessary both times....

great job you and your wife...calling the police was a good move also...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waltherize View Post
    Wow, am glad you came out of that OK Armycop. The feeling of an adrenaline dump is a really strange feeling after such an incident isn't it?
    Ya know. I expected to feel that but it never happened. Weird. I have to admit - I made some points with my wife over this : )

Maybe tonight I can hire an actor dog to do it again???
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator
    Well, good thing that you did have that Cane/Walking Stick in hand. That was a valuable defensive tool to actually have at the ready. Had the owner not called the dog back you could have given it a night to remember.

The second biggest benefit of carrying OC spray is that it gets to send a bit of goodness back to the owner when the dog goes back inside after being hosed down.

Tis a shame the owner didn't get a chance to share in the fun.

Happy everything ended ok! Also glad you had the cane with you!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    The homeowner / dog owner must have heard the commotion and called to his dog. The dog quickly ran back inside. I yelled at the guy but he went inside and didn't answer me.
    What was the point of that? Its always possible that dogs have escaped owners restraints. Yelling at the owner, who admitted that the loose dog was unintentional, doesn't seem to do any good. Of course, I'm sure you have your reasons. I'm seriously not trying to be difficult. I apologize.

I had a dog run up on me when I was delivering pizza. It was a huge, dark German Shepard. In its lunge toward me, it died by my defensive actions. I explained to the customer/dog owner what happened, and I left. I immediately went to my manager, explained, and advised her to call the police and report this. The dog's owner came to me later that night and apologized and assured me that he would have done the same thing.

So, the loose, charging dog was unintentional, but the owner was probably a good person. Accidents do happen.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Administrator
    Well, he didn't know any of that until later on and after the Police were called.
    At the time that the incident happened he only knew that he and his better half were almost attacked and that the owner called the dog and then ducked back inside his house.
    Actually the dog owner SHOULD HAVE called the dog back and then should have come back out of the house and apologized personally to ArmyCop and his Wife for the unintentional incident and should have assured them that it would not happen again.
    Then there would have been no need for the Police to have even been involved.

"Yelling at the owner, who admitted that the loose dog was unintentional, doesn't seem to do any good. Of course, I'm sure you have your reasons. I'm seriously not trying to be difficult. I apologize."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, he didn't know any of that until later on and after the Police were called.
    At the time that the incident happened he only knew that he and his better half were almost attacked and that the owner called the dog and then ducked back inside his house.
    Actually the dog owner SHOULD HAVE called the dog back and then should have come back out of the house and apologized personally to ArmyCop and his Wife for the unintentional incident and should have assured them that it would not happen again.
    Then there would have been no need for the Police to have even been involved.

"Yelling at the owner, who admitted that the loose dog was unintentional, doesn't seem to do any good. Of course, I'm sure you have your reasons. I'm seriously not trying to be difficult. I apologize."
    I agree with that.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Despite the best SA, bad things can happen in a hurry. Luckily you had the cane in hand or the outcome could have been much worse.

The husband/wife teamwork appears to have worked out well!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links