WML Selection

This is a discussion on WML Selection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have a handheld surefire and a insight M3X, it has a little doodad on the side and i carry it on my belt, then ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WML Selection

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i have a handheld surefire and a insight M3X, it has a little doodad on the side and i carry it on my belt, then when i need it to clear a building, i can either toss it on my rail if i have time or just use my surefire if i don't have time, works great, its bright enough to blind someone temporarily and it is easy to use, its even waterproof to 66 feet in salt or freshwater
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Again, not speaking directly to your initial post, but maybe lending some insight to your question in post #7. Best of luck and let us know which light you do settle on. As wml become more and more exposed, utilized in training, and affordable; training, tactics and gear will become more and more discussed in this and other forums. Your selection may be of great influence to those in the future as carrying wml becomes more and more an accepted practice by other than leo.

dan
    I went with a TLR 1.

I found one, with the strobe feature, for $99 and figured it was a good deal. Since the light doesn't extend beyond the barrel it fits my original concept of being compact, or as compact as such a package can get. In my expirmentation over Thanksgiving I didn't find shadowing to be a problem. As some of you know, mounting a light further back causes you to cast a shadow on what you are trying to illuminate.

I find the idea of a light while I've not been in favor of them, much like Night Sights and Lasers, to have merit in certain applications that I can see for the defensive handgun user as well as those going forth in to the breech and seeking danger. Going forth is the duty of a LEO and can be the duty of a non-LEO in protecting loved ones and family.

Where I find the WML to have merit is once you have found what made that bump in the night, and it's not GrandMommy that got up to go potty it allows you to illuminate the threat, hopefully from behind cover, while giving you two hands to grasp the weapon, open doors, or summon the on duty constabulary via the cell phone, or communicate non-verbaly using hand signals with others who are conversant in the hand language being used.

The WML, and my reason for resisting them for so long is because too many people use them inappropriately, IMHO. For example, if we are talking, and you want to see my dog, don't point your gun at him to better see him. Doing so might get you shot and if it didn't do that, it's a guaranteed fast ticket to unfriendliness by your's truly. As Sixto has said in previous threads, "The Weapon Mounted Light does not replace the handheld light." I think having a WML makes the handheld light even more necessary, as I tend to dislike pointing guns at non-threats. It can also be a fast way to seeing a Judge on a felony charge of Aggravated Assault.

I think we, as a culture, tend to be drawn to gadgets and gizmos. I'm sort of a gear weenie, and I suspect many of us are even if we don't want to admit it. I think choices are good, but it is imperative that we each realistically look at our situations and make an honest determination if a certain tool may benefit us. Most often the answer may be, "Maybe."

Biker

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Thank you for the concern regarding the holster, but it's not an issue.

Biker
    I didn't really think you hadn't considered it. I was just throwing it out there for someone else who may use this thread as a reference...

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I didn't really think you hadn't considered it. I was just throwing it out there for someone else who may use this thread as a reference...
    Thanks.

I sometimes forget that others read this stuff and often treat the forums like a conversation at the General Store around the Cracker Barrel between friends.

I went with a Raven Concealment Systems Holster with IWB loops. I was torn between Raven and Blade Tech, but decided to try Raven on the advice of a friend that carries a light on his weapon 24/7.

Biker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links