WML Selection

WML Selection

This is a discussion on WML Selection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all, I'm looking for a weapon mounted light to go on my %' Colt Rail Gun, and need help selecting the right light. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WML Selection

WML Selection

Howdy all,

I'm looking for a weapon mounted light to go on my %' Colt Rail Gun, and need help selecting the right light.

The light will reside on the gun permanently, and be carried in an IWB Holster. I'm wanting to stay concealed with the gear, so a compact light is what I'm leaning towards, but get lost with all the choices. Strobe is nice, but not mandatory.

I was favoring the TLR1 until I started looking at the compact Insight, and now I'm at a loss. With the vast selection, I'm wanting to pay as little as possible, yet have a quality product. Any suggestions for a light that will be on the gun 24/7? I'm also not wanting to go much, if any, over the cost of a TLR1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Biker

Distinguished Member
    One thing to consider is holster availability. Does the holster you want to use accommodate one particular model?

Just something to think about...

Thank you for the concern regarding the holster, but it's not an issue.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; November 25th, 2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typo/spelling

OK all, I've done some more checking and reading, as well as looking at various pictures, and think the TLR 3 may be just the ticket for me.

I would love to get some feedback from those of you that use a WML, especially for concealed carry.

Biker

VIP Member
    Just remember the TLR-3 uses smaller CR2 batteries. The TLR-1s can be had for under $100 from many sources. A friend has the TLR-3 and it's quite a bright light, but it's battery life is somewhat limited by the CR2 battery. The batteries are quite a bit more expensive than the CR123A's.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Just remember the TLR-3 uses smaller CR2 batteries. The TLR-1s can be had for under $100 from many sources. A friend has the TLR-3 and it's quite a bright light, but it's battery life is somewhat limited by the CR2 battery. The batteries are quite a bit more expensive than the CR123A's.
    How's the size of the TLR 1 compared to the TLR 3?
    That's a concern of mine, as I was not wanting the light to extend beyond the barrel of a 5" 1911.

Biker

I really thought this thread would generate more responses than it has.

Are people here not carrying a light on their weapons as much as I thought? Is it something that is only done when they show up at the latest tactical school, and then put away until the next class?

Biker

Biker,
    I don't presume to speak for anyone but myself, but I'll respond in an effort to contribute what may be the thoughts of others that haven't yet had the opportunity.
    Most folks have a hard time totin' much more than a Keltec or x42 S&W, neither of which is adaptable to a wml. So, to add much more weight and bulk may prevent one from adding anything else to their hip. Combine that with a rather limited holster selection, and you have few people willing to make that kind of effort to carry a wml, at least on the gun. There are more than a few times I have fallen into this category.

Myself, I carry a seperate light(s) in combination w my carry gun(s). My home/vehicle/static guns have fulltime weopon mounted lights. They don't travel in holsters, so a standard carry case will suffice. Of course, if need be, the light can be seperated for the purpose of carrying the pistol in a standard holster.

When I take a class that includes night/lowlight shooting, I take part of the class working with a 'regular' hand held, such as the Surefire or Novalabs combined with my carry guns, and part of the class w my house pistol and wml. So, I don't necessarily "show up at the latest tactical school, and then put away until the next class", but train w the setup I use depending on i whether I'm out, or at home/vehicle/static location.

Again, not speaking directly to your initial post, but maybe lending some insight to your question in post #7. Best of luck and let us know which light you do settle on. As wml become more and more exposed, utilized in training, and affordable; training, tactics and gear will become more and more discussed in this and other forums. Your selection may be of great influence to those in the future as carrying wml becomes more and more an accepted practice by other than leo.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I really thought this thread would generate more responses than it has.

Are people here not carrying a light on their weapons as much as I thought? Is it something that is only done when they show up at the latest tactical school, and then put away until the next class?

Biker
    The TLR series came out after I've had my M-3 and M-6 for several years. The Insight Technologies and Streamlights sort of merged. I'm still working with old technology/products, but both of mine still work fine. I've never carried with a WML.........they are more for home defense use for me. Between the Streamlight and the Insight....and what I've seen here and there, the Streamlights seem to be more adaptable and have more of an accessory selection (such as pressure pads, mounts, and the like) at less expense. I've found more support for the Streamlights at gun shows and shops than the Insights and at more affordable prices. It's working with what I have and being modular with my WMLs. For what I paid for them years ago, I still expect...and get out of them what I paid for. The batteries are readily available off the shelf, and when I got mine, I stocked up on replacement batteries just like I stock ammo. IMO...the TLRs would be the way to go and for the cost. LED or C3 lamps have come a long way from the days I bought mine. But every time I step out into a light mist or the fog with my Streamlight M-3 or M-6 trying to locate a middle of the night nuisance.....I'm glad I have them. I also like the momentary/constant on switch. It's what I've been working with for many years and adaption/use is rather easy for me. If the TLRs are the most reasonably priced, then I don't think you'll be unhappy with that choice. The quality now as compared to several years ago, I couldn't tell you. Get a brand new one and you'll have a warranty and excellent customer support. My Streamlights have been attached to my pistols, my shotguns, and my semi auto rifles and shot with them attached. They are still working to this day very effectively, and I might add that that my M-6 laser has never needed adjustment from the first sight-in and is dead nuts on anything I put it on to this day.

Nope, dont carry one cause I dont need one.

VIP Member
    The TLR-1 is 3.26" long vs. 2.71" for the TLR-3. Most commercially made holsters for WML's are made to fit the TLR-1 and it's (2) CR123 batteried competitors. I think the TLR-3 will fit under a 5" 1911, not so sure about the TLR-1.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    The TLR-1 is 3.26" long vs. 2.71" for the TLR-3. Most commercially made holsters for WML's are made to fit the TLR-1 and it's (2) CR123 batteried competitors. I think the TLR-3 will fit under a 5" 1911, not so sure about the TLR-1.
    I checked tonight at Thanksgiving Dinner, as one of my pards carries a TLR-1 on his gun. We took it off and put it on my 1911 and it doesn't extend beyond the barrel.

Biker

OD*
    I've been extremely happy with my Surefire X-300.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

The Insight and Streamlight are both quality. You need to look at the Surefire, and call and see what their LE discount is before you buy. I love my x200. I think their discount is up around 20-30%
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have the Streamlight TLR-3 and it worked well for a few months. The plastic rail actually broke on it after removing it from my Glock 19 after about a dozen times. I've been too lazy to send it to Streamlight for replacement, but if I had to do it all over again, I would probably get the TLR-1 since it's metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links