Surefire

Surefire

This is a discussion on Surefire within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are the Surefire flashlights really worth the price? Iím looking for a decent flashlight and know that Surefire is one of the good ones, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire

Surefire

Are the Surefire flashlights really worth the price? Iím looking for a decent flashlight and know that Surefire is one of the good ones, but I canít see why they are 2x Ė 4xís the price of a comparable flashlight with the same volts and lumens. The flashlight will be by my bed at night and it will be a carry accessory at night if we go out. It really wonít see a lot of use or abuse. Any suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated.

They are well-made flashlights that occupy the top of the commercially available tactical light line. You can, however, purchase an adequate light for less money -- Streamlight and even some imports will do.

Lead Moderator
    Or the G2 series Sure fire are resonably priced for a poly body light.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I have a E1e which is a superb light for size - but agree re price being heavy.

I think we pay for the name in part but also - these aluminum body lights are tough - really tough. Mine got lost in snow two winters ago - and after 10 days and some thaw it was found - worked immediately. Mine has also been dropped and trodden on - so finish is getting beat up but on it goes - so in this sense I think it worth the cost.

Sure - in output terms many good choices out there and Surefire does these days have some stiff opposition.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have the Surefire A2 Aviator (dual output - Incan and LED) and love it... It was pricey, but it does have advantage (to me atleast) over other dual output lights by Streamlight (SF has end cap switch) and Pila (When the batteries cant run the SF incan the LED's still work - the Pilla's LED's wont light in that case)..

As someone mentions the SF G2 are only $36 and would probably fit your need quite well.

Surefires are top of the line, but are they worth it? Debatable, but you also get what you pay for in most cases... Will it work when you really, really need it? Most likey the SF will.

Good luck.. If you havent already check out the Candle Power Forums for a lot of good information..

I have the SF A2 and G2, a 1 watt Dorcy mini light, a Dorcy 3 watt, a Cyclops and a Brinkman 3 watt LED.

They all have there purpose and are all good lights but my favorite and IMO the best one I have is the G2 I bought for $33.95, 65 Lumens and a terrific carry and all around light. I also picked up the 120 Lumen lamp with it for more blinding power if I want. I will be picking up another one and use that one with the 120 Lumen lamp for my HD light and use my other G2 then for a carry light and will also have a back up 65 Lumen lamp for it then.

Get the G2, it's the best light for the money IMO (at least for SF that is).

If I had gotten my G2 before my A2 I would not have the A2 today.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I have an A2 Aviator and the Small 25 lumen Outdoorsman. Both are great and I'll carry the Outdoorsman when I go out at night. I had a G2 Nitrolon (trade it along with a knife for the A2) and it was a great flashlight. Got it covered in mud, dropped it, sat in my truck in the Texas summer. Always worked. I'll spend to money to keep on getting surefires.

i have the 6P and the plastic version of it. They offer great light output and small size. If you actually use them make sure you stock up on batteries. If it is something that will be used for a few seconds at a time and not too often then they will last.

The cheaper plastic version is great to keep in the glove box or trunk as the batteries will hold up for a long time if it is not used.

I am told the LED versions have much better battery life.

Yes the LED versions are much better IMO but you definatly pay for the upgrade. The same amount of lumens from a LED seems much brighter than from a xenon bulb for some reason. I much prefer the LEDs.

I have a G2Z and several G2s. I've given G2s as gifts to most of my friends and family over the last couple of years. I can recommend them without reservation. For the capability and, especially, durability, I've got no qualms about value for dollars.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses. I definitely don't mind spending the cash if the product is worth it, and it seems the opinion of everyone is Surefire makes a really good product. So I'm off to my gun shop to check out the G2 and the 6P after I go raid my piggy bank.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses. I definitely don't mind spending the cash if the product is worth it, and it seems the opinion of everyone is Surefire makes a really good product. So I'm off to my gun shop to check out the G2 and the 6P after I go raid my piggy bank.
    I found a new G2 on eBay for about 1/3 less than local stores. It's what I carry with my spare magazine. I also have an L2 that I use a lot around the house, very nice and well built.

I have to say that SureFire has a great warrantee department. They have replaced a couple things for me no questions and no charge!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Update:

Picked up my G2 this afternoon. Got it for $31.95 (+ tax), so I'm pretty happy with it. Nice little flashlight. Thanks again everyone.

Todd,
    I think you'll be very happy with it. I have (at last count) 12 different Surefire lights including the weapon-mounted ones and trust my life to them every night on graveyard shift. (Some of my fellow offiecrs joke that I should be working for them). My orignal
    6P is at least 15 years old, purcahsed when it was the only light they made, and is carried daily. Their customer service is exceptional; they stand behind their product. I have contacted them for replacement parts on some of the weapon lights and received new parts in the mail within days; no questions asked.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Since we are on the subject-I have a 6P. I have seen on eBay for sale tactical head bezels that will fit the 6P so that it is like the Centurion model. (I think that is the right one?) Has anyone done this? I would like to do it since I really don't want to sell out the big bucks for that model. Any input would be appreciated.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links