Help finding this vest.

Help finding this vest.

This is a discussion on Help finding this vest. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a killer vest on a gentleman earlier today. It was desert tan in color and had a small tan/faded American flag on the ...

Help finding this vest.

I saw a killer vest on a gentleman earlier today. It was desert tan in color and had a small tan/faded American flag on the back just below the collar. Has anyone here ever seen this vest. It appears to be a concealed carry type. It looks similar to the Orvis.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I think I have seen something like that at sportsmansguide.

Lead Moderator
    5.11, Woolrich tactical and many others make" tactical" ccw vests. Some believe a vest stands out too much to criminals for true concealed carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've heard those vests refered to more than once as "a shoot me first vest". I personally think a fanny pack or man purse is less obvious.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    I've heard those vests refered to more than once as "a shoot me first vest". I personally think a fanny pack or man purse is less obvious.
    To me, a fanny pack screams either "gun" or "diabetic supplies". Haven't seen one in the last decade that didn't contain one of the two...

That said, I've yet to see a practical off-body carry solution that was did not appear either tactical, effeminate, or just plain dorky.

Sportsmans Guide vest

this is not quite on your description, since the USA flag is on the shirt pocket, but it looks pretty good, with some good reviews

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=556274

My take FWIW, Some people in the gun culture tend to look for others carrying via holster, pouch or vest. Most of your dirtbags are flying off the cuff with many under the influence ( illegal or prescription drugs / alcohol). Having worked in the Mich. Dept. of Corrections for a decade I firmly believe that they just do not think like most people. I would not give them the credit to spot a CCW vest. RE; the vest from Sportsman's guide. I always thought it looked kinda Nam Vet ish from the seventies. Mine just got delivered the other day but the wife says anything bought in December gets wrapped & put under the Christmas Tree ( oops, I hope I did not offend anyone with that comment ) NH

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    My take FWIW, Some people in the gun culture tend to look for others carrying via holster, pouch or vest.
    That's very true. I never equated a fanny pack to a gun before I started carrying. Now what I see is: "fanny pack: possible gun, vest: possible gun, open button shirt: possible gun."

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not living in a state of fear, nor should anyone else. I'm just aware of the possibility.

The fact that in my pre-enlightened days, I never would have looked for a gun, nor suspected a bulge to be one, reassures me that most people won't notice printing.

5.11 makes some very nice shirts that have holster inserts on both sides under the arm pits that will carry lots of guns and not show it. My brother has one and was walking around the house the other day with a Sig P226 under his left arm and it did not show. I just ordered some.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Vests seem to be a big topic but the threads get closed so addingt o them is a bit difficult. The problem with most of them seems to be that they look like crap and advertise that you are carrying. So I looked around for some vests that are not made for CCW but could function appropriately. And I found a couple.

The first is the SCOTTEVEST - ESM. It is actually a jacket with zip off sleeves and looks and wears well under either mode. It is a bit pricey but it has everything any rational person could want. Even its 19 pockets have pockets. And it looks really good. And it's comfortable, well designed, well put together, and comes in several colors. Go to
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/E...cket_Men.shtml

Another option is the men's Voyager by TravelSmith.com that has a really good looking vest with lots of carry options
    Go to travelsmith.com and search for item 7749 . It is half the price of the SCOTTEVEST jacket but has no sleeve option.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    Actually, they are "shoot me after the Open Carry Guy Vest"

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    To me, a fanny pack screams either "gun" or "diabetic supplies". Haven't seen one in the last decade that didn't contain one of the two...

That said, I've yet to see a practical off-body carry solution that was did not appear either tactical, effeminate, or just plain dorky.
    Common........look at my avitar......you gotta admit I make it look good!

VIP Member
    Well, I just had to order one of those Sportsman's Guide vest to add to my collection!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Any clothing with an american flag for a label is going to stand out plenty, is that still aloud ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Links