Does your tactical light do this?

This is a discussion on Does your tactical light do this? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a regular flashlight, the light just gets dimmer and dimmer as the batteries expire. Finally you get tired of it and replace the batteries ...

Thread: Does your tactical light do this?

Does your tactical light do this?

In a regular flashlight, the light just gets dimmer and dimmer as the batteries expire. Finally you get tired of it and replace the batteries for a bright light. We have several Surefire P6 lights. They use 2 of the 123 3v batteries. When the batteries get low enough, the light doesn't dim, it just doesn't come on when you push the tailcap. No warning the batteries are getting low.
    I guess I will just get in the habit of changing the batteries every few months just to be sure they work when we really need them.

Are there any lights that give warning of low battery? Does anyone use rechargeable batteries? How do you like the rechargeables? Worth the expense?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

My experience with Surefires (I've got 3 of 'em) is that the maintain about 80% of brightness right up to battery end-of-life, which happens in a matter of maybe 10 seconds.

The simplest solution is to move from incandescent to LED, because the battery life is at least 3x better. I think Surefire sells conversion kits for most of their lights.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That's the joy of lithium batteries. As much output as possible right up until it just suddenly dies.

Usually by just not turning on.

This can be a problem when you REALLY need the thing and had no prior indication of it's impending death. The trick is to get to know the usage of your light (or whatever) and change them out before you go out (and potentially need the item in question).
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

My Fenix PD30 starts to get this odd flicker or pulse. That's the sign for me that it's getting close. Or maybe it's from me dropping it a lot. Actually, the fact that it does not give me a headache when I need it for close work tells me it's getting low too. With a full battery that thing is bright!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

That is what a regulated flashlight will do, maintain brightness until the last then gone. Here is a good thread on themhttp://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ted-Flashlight

I think you are far more likely to need a back up light than you are to need a back up gun. ;)
    There are 3 good lights in my truck
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

My light gets regular use and the CR 123's are still going strong (about a year now).

I'm interested to see just how long they'll go. So far, they've far outlasted regular batteries.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

ya need to move in do digitally regulated led lights, they have a flatter output and doesnt get dim like that...and like others mentioned, a back up light is a must....IF you constantly use ur primiary light.

what i do is my tactica light never gets used...only occasionally to check if its working, quick flash to see if it lights up at full brightness ( i use a 4sevens tactical 2AA ) and then i have another flashlight to use as a general purpose light. also serves as a back up light.

This is why I have a spare battery carrier.....it's attached to my ruck and is always with me.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My Blackhawk Gladius stays constant brightness but gives a flicker waring when there's 15min of battery life left, so you've got a chance to swap for a fresh set of batteries before you need the light and it winds up dead. But the 123s are not as common as other batteries so you need to remember to keep a spare set handy.

Glock Certified Armorer

My spare mag holder has a set of fresh cr123s for this reason. When the light dies (rare) I can just change them out.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    My Fenix PD30 starts to get this odd flicker or pulse. That's the sign for me that it's getting close. Or maybe it's from me dropping it a lot. Actually, the fact that it does not give me a headache when I need it for close work tells me it's getting low too. With a full battery that thing is bright!
    My PD 30 does the same thing when the batteries are low. Must be a LED thing.

Links