Dual Layer 1.5" belt sturdy enough for OWB 1911

This is a discussion on Dual Layer 1.5" belt sturdy enough for OWB 1911 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This whole attempt I am making at setting up an OWB rig for my 1911 seems to be giving me a lot of headache . ...

Thread: Dual Layer 1.5" belt sturdy enough for OWB 1911

Dual Layer 1.5" belt sturdy enough for OWB 1911

This whole attempt I am making at setting up an OWB rig for my 1911 seems to be giving me a lot of headache . I am trying to only make these purchases one time, and get it to last the next few years. Usually I carry IWB in a UBG Canute, with a belt that Nate made, and that rig works fine. But now to expand my options, I am setting up a black leather rig, and want it to be OWB.

So, for those of you who carry a full size, steel 1911 OWB, have you found a dual layer 1.5" gunbelt without internal stiffener up to the task? I know that some of this is going to depend on the holster as well, but I am just looking for general input. Thanks for any advice. For a general idea of the kinds of belts I am talking about, the quick ship belts from either the Belt Man http://www.thebeltman.net/quick.htm or A&G http://www.agcustomgunleather.com/pages/quickship.php are prime examples of the type I am looking at.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Either of those choices will work fine. Nate's belts ain't too shabby either. I've carried my TLE owb on one of his belts many times.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

The Beltman gets my vote! Says something about a guy who builds nothing but gun belts, doesn't it?

I love mine. Black 1.5" dual-layer bull hide with the black buckle. Worn it for 2 years and there's nothing finer IMO. I'll be getting another one for dressier occasions later on next year.
    Last edited by Bark'n; December 5th, 2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: punctuation
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

JD
    Administrator
    What kind of OWB are you going for? A double thick belt may be too thick for a snap on/off OWB such as a UBG Regulator, Milt Sparks Axion etc.

I actually just got done placing an order with High Noon for a Skin Guard for my 1911. I have one for my 220 and like it, can't beat their stocking holsters.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I actually just got done placing an order with High Noon for a Skin Guard for my 1911. I have one for my 220 and like it, can't beat their stocking holsters.
    Oh yeah, you could drive a bus through those slots. Another vote for The Belt Man, I don't have one of his belts, but I've heard nothing but good reports about his stuff.

buckeyelCPL;

I carry a Les Baer 1911, when not in the shop, with ease. A dual layered bullhide 1 1/2" belt will do the job just fine. And ours will fit the Sparks Axion and others without any difficulty.

If we can help, just give us a call. You might want to take a look at our Quick Ship Program for a faster delivery.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

The consensus seems to be yes, now I just need to decide on which one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The Horsehide belt from the Beltman is stiffer than the bullhide. I have 2 bullhides and 1 horsehide. The horsehide is stiffer but any of them will work. I carry a full size steel Kimber both IWB and OWB with no difficulty.

I went ahead and ordered one of the quick ship belts from A&G, I like supporting forum sponsors when possible, and have heard good things about their belts. He actually got the belt shipped out in under 24 hours, which indicates that quick ship really means quick ship. I'll be giving my new rig a workout in a few weeks when I get leave for the holidays, and I will be sure to share my impressions then, thanks for the input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    AKJ Concealco belt will work fine; I have one and use it for my Commander sized all steel 1911; both IWB and OWB. And the buckle on their belts is the best!!! It's different becasue you don't put the toungue through and bend it back to put the post in the hole. the post is just a short piece attached to the bell end of the buckle so you just slip the tounge in the buckle straight into the keeper and belt look and just "lay" the buckle down and it fits into the hole.

I'm not explaining it well but trust me, if you ever get this kind of buckle, you'll never want a conventional buckle again! It makes the belt toungue last a lot longer. You know how belts crack at the holes becasue of bending the toungue back? This one won't do that.

They're outstanding. I have two, one with an internal stiffner, one with out; both 1.5". They're both equally good at holding a large heavy gun. The one with a stiffner is better but it can be a pain to threat a mag carrier on it and normal cell phone clips won't stay on because it's so thick but boy does it support a heavy gun!

Gideon

High Noon "Rock Steady" . Dual layer with a polymer insert. I have two.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I still like my Galco belt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

This thread seems to of resurrected itself.

I bought one of the quick ship belts from A&G. I'll be trying it out later this week, but so far Al was great to deal with.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Links