5.11 Denim Jacket Question

This is a discussion on 5.11 Denim Jacket Question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We just bought a couple of the 5.11 denim jackets from LA Police Gear for $39.99. We ordered the pistol pouches also, but they are ...

Thread: 5.11 Denim Jacket Question

We just bought a couple of the 5.11 denim jackets from LA Police Gear for $39.99. We ordered the pistol pouches also, but they are backordered. The jackets look great and we are happy with them. Since we don't yet have the holster pouches we experimented with the pockets. It seems we could carry a Sig 229, a Mauser M2, or smaller handguns in the lower pockets without any indication they are there. Most likely S&W 640s will be carried in those pockets. Since there are many LEOs and experienced packers on this forum, what firearms do you find you can pack in the holster pouch without a bulge? Our smaller firearms are a Kahr MK9 and a Bersa 383DA. Any suggestions for using, adjusting, and placement of the holster pouch would be appreciated. I haven't checked yet to see if the jacket will adequately cover a 229 in an El Paso Saddlery #88 Street Fighter holster. I'll be grateful for any advice you can provide. Thanks.

Distinguished Member
    Bersa .380 Thunder and Makarovs fit in the holster no prob, I'm not sure about the 229. I have a CZ P-01 and it will fit but its too hard to get in and out. I got tired of waiting for my holster to arrive and found some on eBay and got it in 3 days.
    RKBA

John

Thanks for the info, Sooner. Do either of the pistols you mention make much of a bulge in the jacket? Go Sooners.

Jim, OU class of 71

Distinguished Member
    The Bersa fits better because it is lighter, the Mak weighs at least twice as much. Yes there is a slight bulge but nothing that would make it "suspicious". The smaller the gun the better for this holster. I set up mine for right hand cross draw, I guess you could put it in the right hand pocket and pull it straight out, I haven't tried that configuration yet. I need to get another revolver and see how it would fit in there.
    I keep my TDI knife in its sheath velcro'd on the other side. Overall I am very pleased with the jacket, now to wait to use it, till we get some cooler weather here in Oklahoma, maybe sometime in the second month of football season! :)
    keep us updated on what other guns will fit in these holsters whenever you get yours!
    Last edited by soonerjh; July 9th, 2006 at 10:54 PM.
    RKBA

John

Thanks again, John. Whenever those holster pouches arrive I'll provide an update on which of our weapons will fit satisfactorily.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    if gun is in a jacket pocket and the need arises, no need to "draw" weapon, just shoot through pocket...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

After you get the holster, and the gun you plan to carry, put the gun in the holster with some room for your hand to grip the gun. With out the holster interfering. Put a mark just in front of the trigger guard. Then have some one put a few overlapping vertical stitches in. That way the gun will not siled all the way in to the holster.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I bought the denim jacket from www.magills.com. Built in holsters similar to Coronado vests, so I don't have to add anything. It concealed the full size 1911 I used to own, the full size HK USP and conceals my Sig 229 perfectly.

Thanks, guys. Dimmak, we're thinking of the lower pockets for S&W 640s. Glock21guy, thanks for the tip on stitches, I think that will be helpful. MidnightRambler, that's a good looking jacket - does the 229 print much?

Jim

It doesn't print at all. I used to have a full size USP 9mm that did not print either. Plus a 3 inch S&W 66. None of them printed.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I bought one of these jackets but have yet to wear it. I'll need to wait until a chilly Fall day.

It's very heavy. It seems to weigh almost as much as my ballistic vest!

I think that you could hide a small cannon in one of these vests without printing!

VIP Member
    I bought one real cheap a couple of months ago. Willl have to wait awhile to test it. 105 heat we had today, I didn't need a jacket.
    I tested wearing it in the house and thought my HK made too much of a bulge but I guess I need to play with the setup some more. I do like the mag pouches inside there. It will work great to carry my HK OWB and carry OC and mags inside jacket.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sponsored Links