Gun Vault Battery life

This is a discussion on Gun Vault Battery life within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Battery life seems to be one of the more common problems with these safes. I prefer a mechanical pushbutton lock on mine....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Vault Battery life

Battery life seems to be one of the more common problems with these safes. I prefer a mechanical pushbutton lock on mine.

2. Remove Ads

I have two units. Both are the standard version. One is a 1000 and one is a 2000. The 1000 is still working on the batteries I installed about a year ago. The 2000 went through 2 sets of batteries within the first 8 months. Needless to say, I don't rely on the 2000 model for home defense, I only use it for securing firearms out of access from children, and I quit replacing the batteries. I just use the key on it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I got a big o Gun Vault. It's opened and closed probably 3-4 times a day, every day. Changing batteries every year has worked out fine for me.

I have a minivault from gunvault and the batteries were lasting approximately 3 weeks. I contacted gunvault, they have a handy chat button on their website, and they sent me a brand new safe (they had a know fault in production). When I received my new safe it was upgraded to the deluxe model free of charge, the whole ordeal took 2 months, which is a little longer than I would have liked, but they made it right. They are located in California, so if you use the live chat be sure to consider the time difference.
    NRA Life Member
    "can't find a cool or witty quote to put here" - Boudreaux

Battery Fail.

I have owned two GunVault Minis. The first for ~2 years, mult daily uses (fits in my highlander great!) the batteries outlasted the inner 'twist-wire' that opened the safe. Gunvault was great & mailed me a new unit. After another set of batteries outlasted the second safe's wire opening mechanism (broke in 1.5 years)... I purchased a new Gunvault (~100 bucks, no biggie). It did not have the 'twist-wire' open mechanism: but this newer gunvault, the battery life has been pathetic... ~4-6 weeks. At $4-8bucks for 8AAs, this thing is getting a bit annoying & spendy. Plus, I now have to carry the safe key with me. I plan to call Gunvault tomorrow.

-DaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    There are too many folks complaining of short battery life for it to be just a fluke or batteries sitting on the shelf too long. The batteries are generally sealed and dated - I know that the Energizers that I use are. This is my second attempt with a brand new fresh set of batteries and the last set installed were all tested with a VOM before installing and were fresh as fresh can be. I am about to take the THIRD set of brand new sealed Energizers and install them. They are dated October 2012. I will complete the circuit by placing the test leads from the battery pack to the + terminal of the connector to see if there is current flowing when the unit is not in use.

My bet is that given that the unit operates just fine with a brand new set of batteries every time, but just clicks and stays closed after a few weeks of having the batteries installed that there is a bad solder connection of defective component causing current flow when there should be no current flow. In the alternative, it is possible that a shot of Ballistol lubricant (non conductive, etc.) in the lock mechanism may help things along a bit.... but far more likely errant current draw due to a bad solder connection.

As far as the AC adaptor is concerned, from what I am reading, the AC adaptor is being used to run ancillary things like the light bulb, etc. and SAVE battery power - I would have thought that it was running in parallel to the batteries but apparently not (?). My plan would be to ensure that the wall wart was running at the appropriate voltage and perhaps 1,000ma. available and in parallel to the battery pack although I don't know if this would sustain the batteries if current were being drawn continuously.... it is hard to guess at this without a schematic. Sure would be nice if GunVault were to provide a schematic.

I am not happy with my GunVault and certainly will not be relying on it for self/home defense until the issue is resolved once and for all and I would heartily recommend against purchasing a GunVault for anyone using it for anything important. I am presently storing my Gummy Bears in it and they are going stale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    That would be the go-to battery IMO. Personally, I like the mechanical (dial) safes. Never fail and don't use batteries.
    After my experience with a digital lock on my brand-new safe a couple of years ago, I heartily concur.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have an ac power adapter with mine and batteries that serve to lock in programming codes when power is disrupted - and of course to open the safe. The solenoid will suck power to open and close continually. Get ac adapter. You have to buy it that way.

Administrator
    Lithium <~~~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    And another thing. If you plan to not use the Gunvault safe for more than about 4-5 days, make sure you remove the battery. If you don't remove it and don't plan to use it for several days, the batteries are no longer functional and have to be replaced with a new one and then you also have to reprogram your favorite combination, which you would have to do if you also have to remove the batteries and then have to reinstall them. I learned this from personal experience when being deployed for about a week at sea as I am a seasoned sailor serving his last hitch on a destroyer before retirement.
    Wha? With due respect, I think you may have an isolated incident. My deployment days have long past, but I have 5 throughout the house and there's no problem when I go on vacation for a couple weeks. BTW, changing those batteries are a serious pain-in-the-butt. If you have thick hands, you're pretty much screwed. I'm going on two years on lithiums at the moment.

I called Gunvault, they took my serial number, and are mailing me a replacement that runs on 9V battery... has the AC adapter... (not likely to help in my SUV) They wouldn't directly acknowledge the flaw... but they were quick to help me out. My opinion, wire open mechanism 'whirs': LONG battery life. Lever open mechanism 'clicks': short battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMoose View Post
    I have owned two GunVault Minis. The first for ~2 years, mult daily uses (fits in my highlander great!) the batteries outlasted the inner 'twist-wire' that opened the safe. Gunvault was great & mailed me a new unit. After another set of batteries outlasted the second safe's wire opening mechanism (broke in 1.5 years)... I purchased a new Gunvault (~100 bucks, no biggie). It did not have the 'twist-wire' open mechanism: but this newer gunvault, the battery life has been pathetic... ~4-6 weeks. At $4-8bucks for 8AAs, this thing is getting a bit annoying & spendy. Plus, I now have to carry the safe key with me. I plan to call Gunvault tomorrow.

-DaMoose

AEB

Gun Vault

Regarding Gun Vault's insistence on using "Duracell Alkaline" batteries - nothing could be further from the truth. I went through two sets of these, both worked for the first couple of days then failed to generate enough power to open the safe. Someone addressed this problem in a similar forum and remarked that alkaline batteries deliver a smooth level of power over a longer period of time, but a batter like RAY-O-VAC delivers more power in bursts. The safe obviously requires the latter. Changed my batteries to the cheaper RAY-O-VAC's and the safe has not failed since. Wake up Gun Vault!

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, AEB!

I use the key on mine now. It's an older model that they won't support. I'm an older model, too, and I can't remember short term combination settings. Now if I could only remember where I put those keys. OK, it's mostly empty cause my EDC is on body.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Mine takes 4AA, so I put in lithiums. 2 years and going strong for me. I have a key in case the batteries die in an emergency. Since I only have 3k worth of stuff, my safe isn't like a bank vault or anything... It does the job, though.

i just received my replacement gunvault from them 8 weeks later (they told me 6) and it is a newer model that requires a 9v battery that is easy to take out, swap and put back. Thank goodness because the AAA battery tray was a PITA to deal with. They told me there were a certain quantity that made it out of the factory with a defect. Oh well, guess I'll finally get around to shipping their defective safe back to them. Hopefully the 9v lasts longer in this model than the AAA's lasted in the junk one.
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    i just received my replacement gunvault from them 8 weeks later (they told me 6) and it is a newer model that requires a 9v battery that is easy to take out, swap and put back. Thank goodness because the AAA battery tray was a PITA to deal with. They told me there were a certain quantity that made it out of the factory with a defect. Oh well, guess I'll finally get around to shipping their defective safe back to them. Hopefully the 9v lasts longer in this model than the AAA's lasted in the junk one.
    Holy cow! I wish i joined this forum sooner. Just joined and was thumbing thru and found this thread.

I had basically given up on my gunvault after feeding it 8AA batteries every 3-4 weeks.

Read these responses.....did online chat with a gunvault rep...in about 30 secs iget a request for my phone number. This is at 10:30pm EST. guy calls me immediately. Tells me gunvault was aquired by this newer company and the safes with the AA's have a known fault. Took my info....mailimg me a newer generation "upgraded" safe that takes a 9volt and they say problem should be fixed. They r also paying for shipping of my faulty safe back to them

I cant remember the last time i experienced customer service as good as this.

Im looking forward to my new safe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links