Gun Vault Battery life

This is a discussion on Gun Vault Battery life within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an early edition of the standard Gun Vault (series 2000). Mine takes 8 AA batteries which last one year before they need to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Vault Battery life

Gun Vault Battery life

I have an early edition of the standard Gun Vault (series 2000). Mine takes 8 AA batteries which last one year before they need to be replaced. How about yours?

2. Remove Ads

Mine has had the same batteries in it for about 2 years , and show no sign of running out and thats with daily use , but I was testing to see how long they would last , I guess I should change them now I got all the proof i need of how long they will last.

I just replaced mine and I got it last year for Christmas...probably good to change them once a year if you use it everyday.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Just bought mine last week for my new residence. It works fine and am able to make my own combinations. The only pain in the butt is that I have to locate the battery panel w/ a flashlight and unscrew it from the safe. A little tricky at first to do so but not too bad once familiar. After a minimum of about 5-6 reps, I am able to dial the combination in the dark. I don't remember the exact model but it is a multi safe for handguns. It is also said in the instruction that it only works with Duracell AA batteries and like yours, it requires 8 of them. I have mine secured with a cable. I also make sure that I have at least an extra set or more of 8 AA Duracell batteries just in case I have to change them.

I use lithium AAs - I get about seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    I use lithium AAs - I get about seven years.
    That would be the go-to battery IMO. Personally, I like the mechanical (dial) safes. Never fail and don't use batteries.

I change mine out once a year. I probably don't need to since I use the AC adapter and only rely on the batteries in the event of a power failure.

I have one dial safe and one battery push button safe...both have worked very well. I change the battery every Christmas season...it's getting to be about that time.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was cautioned by the manufacturer of my safe to stay away from battery-operated locks...even though they were more expensive, he recommended the spin-dial lock...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My Energizer Alkalines were lasting over a year (I changed them once a year at EST/DST changeover along with fire/smoke alarm batteries). Went to the GunVault a couple of months ago and the batteries were insufficient to open the solenoid to allow the GunVault to spring open. Holy smokes Batman?

Replaced them all with a fresh package of brand new Duracells (what the pharmacy carried) and all worked fine. For about 6 - 8 weeks WEEKS and now I have the same problem. Each of the four buttons lights up when depressed but after the 4 digit combo is entered I get a click and a flashing red light. Insufficient juice to open the door!!!!!

I am about to toss yet another set of batteries into the safe and put a piece of cardboard between the last battery and its contact on the safe to break the circuit and then measure the current being drawn. I am hoping that it is pretty close to nil but have a feeling otherwise.

I am beginning to read about others with the same issue but not reading about anyone who has spotted the problem. In the meantime, I have taken to putting one of the manual open keys on a string and hanging it on the inside of our headboard bookend which has a door.

Anyone having the same problem as I am? I have another safe, somewhat larger than the GunVault that I am going to put in the end unit of the headboard to replace the GunVault and selling the GunVault to an electronics tekky or to someone looking for a single unit gun safe that does not mind the key thingy.

What a P.O. The thing cost far more than it was worth and lasted about a year and a half or so.

And I hear they are out of business now?

I run mine on AC with the batteries as a back-up, been a year and a half now with the first set.

Just a couple of comments to things that have been said in this thread...YES a dial/combination lock on a large main safe...BUT do you really want to dial in that combination in a hurry under stress!?!? Right two spins to 12..left one spin to 58..oh sh!! i went to 61 and have to start over....three spins left to reset it....I DON'T THINK SO!

For the people with battery life problems...it's very possible there is a true problem like a short somewhere...but you have tried batteries from other places then the local pharmacy right? I would be worried about how long they have sat on their shelves and buy them from someplace that has a good turn around on their batteries.

I have a gunvault that I use twice a day at least.
    the batteries have lasted 2 years. they went dead yesterday. it also takes 8 AA.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

There are too many folks complaining of short battery life for it to be just a fluke or batteries sitting on the shelf too long. The batteries are generally sealed and dated - I know that the Energizers that I use are. This is my second attempt with a brand new fresh set of batteries and the last set installed were all tested with a VOM before installing and were fresh as fresh can be. I am about to take the THIRD set of brand new sealed Energizers and install them. They are dated October 2012. I will complete the circuit by placing the test leads from the battery pack to the + terminal of the connector to see if there is current flowing when the unit is not in use.

My bet is that given that the unit operates just fine with a brand new set of batteries every time, but just clicks and stays closed after a few weeks of having the batteries installed that there is a bad solder connection of defective component causing current flow when there should be no current flow. In the alternative, it is possible that a shot of Ballistol lubricant (non conductive, etc.) in the lock mechanism may help things along a bit.... but far more likely errant current draw due to a bad solder connection.

As far as the AC adaptor is concerned, from what I am reading, the AC adaptor is being used to run ancillary things like the light bulb, etc. and SAVE battery power - I would have thought that it was running in parallel to the batteries but apparently not (?). My plan would be to ensure that the wall wart was running at the appropriate voltage and perhaps 1,000ma. available and in parallel to the battery pack although I don't know if this would sustain the batteries if current were being drawn continuously.... it is hard to guess at this without a schematic. Sure would be nice if GunVault were to provide a schematic.

I am not happy with my GunVault and certainly will not be relying on it for self/home defense until the issue is resolved once and for all and I would heartily recommend against purchasing a GunVault for anyone using it for anything important. I am presently storing my Gummy Bears in it and they are going stale.

Have you called them? They have excellent customer service. Maybe you just have a faulty unit.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    And another thing. If you plan to not use the Gunvault safe for more than about 4-5 days, make sure you remove the battery. If you don't remove it and don't plan to use it for several days, the batteries are no longer functional and have to be replaced with a new one and then you also have to reprogram your favorite combination, which you would have to do if you also have to remove the batteries and then have to reinstall them. I learned this from personal experience when being deployed for about a week at sea as I am a seasoned sailor serving his last hitch on a destroyer before retirement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links