flashlight help

This is a discussion on flashlight help within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks: I will be going to a 4-day defensive handgun course (front sight), and they require a Surefire 6-P, G-3 "or similar" light for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flashlight help

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

flashlight help

Hey folks:

I will be going to a 4-day defensive handgun course (front sight), and they require a Surefire 6-P, G-3 "or similar" light for the night fire. I have never delved into the tactical light world. I don't mind buying the Surefires, but what might be some alternatives to those two lights?

Thanks!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Wow...that's pretty odd, not sure about those models, but I use a Energizer 1 watt LED, get it at walmart for 15 bucks.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

They are probably looking for you to train with a light that is small and be manipulated one-handed, and with enough "throw" that those suggested lights produce.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'd recommend the 6P LED and be done with it. Good quality light that's tried and true! Heck, anything from Surefire!!

All those extra bells and whistles sound cool, (strobe, HI lumens, Lo lumens and 12 other custom settings), but when I hit the switch, I want to know it's going to be on and not play a guessing game of what "function" I left it on last time.

Check out some places online. This time of year they offer alot of specials, like free shipping and or extra batteries.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I'm looking at a site on-line right now with syrefire lights--am looking at the G2 LED 120 lumens--costs about twice as much, but has about 50x the battery length---any of you experts out there have any thoughts for me?
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

P19174232.jpg

I use the Surefire E2D Executive Defender with a lanyard attached. Slip the lanyard over your non gun wrist and you can use both hands to reload, clear malfuntions ect. without dropping the light or having to put it into a pocket.
    It has a pocket clip attached and aggressive edges on the bezel and end cap.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've got a bunch of smallish lights that would probably qualify (pic below). If you don't mind using CR123 batteries then I would recommend the Quark 123*2 Tactical or the Eagletac P20C2 MkII. If you want to utilize AA batteries, then I would get the AA version of either of those.

The Quark 'Tactical' series has a wonderful UI (user interface), where it has seven modes to choose from, then you program two modes in to the light, mode one comes on with tight head and mode 2 comes on with loose head. It's a terrific UI, IMHO. The Quark 123*2 Tactical is my EDC (every day carry) light. I have one in my pocket all the time.

Oh, btw, if you order a light from 4Sevens, there is free shipping and there is also an 8% discount available if you are a member of CandlePower Forum (you would use the code "CPF8").........

Full-size pic here: http://csgbenefits.org/all-small-lights.jpg

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I second the 4Sevens Quark suggestion (AA, AA^2, 123, 123^2). It's a great light and puts out some serious lumens.

I've got the Fenix PD 30 (4th from right in pic) and have been very happy with it. It does use two CR123. You'll find flash lights are like guns, everyone has their favorite.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Be careful not to get too small of a light, either length wise or diameter. With most techniques, you need a fair sized light to get a good natural grip on it that puts the thumb on the rear clicky switch and allows you to use that hand to support your strong hand. I have a number of lights that are good EDC lights but for pistol techniques, the New 6P led can't be beat, it really can't and it's worth every penny.

Gideon

I picked up two Dorcy 200 Lumens Tactical 6 Watt 3 AAA Cree Flashlights for 40 dollars, Found a Fenix PD30 Black Finish FXPD30-BLK for 60-70 on this site ? http://newgraham.com/store/product/5.../2/91/4Sevens/ Good luck on the defensive handgun course,and finding the light. http://newgraham.com/store/product/5...sh-FXPD30-BLK/
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

I purchased this as a little glove box light for my car and it is plenty bright. Comes with 2 lithium AA batteries. Supposedly *only* rated at 65 Lumens, but it seems to be much brighter than that. Purchased mine at Target for under $30. This is the 3watt version. I hope this helps. God Bless

http://www.opticsplanet.net/energize...-game4cgr.html

Definitely want a clicky (momentary on) tailcap instead of a twisty type.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

+1 on Chevy-SS line up of fine lights. Down the road you may want to get a gun with a rail under it that will hold a mountable flashlight. I have one that will go on any of 3 Glocks I have.
    Good luck with the training and night light training is especially helpful.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Start here to compare the Surefire line up;

http://www.lapolicegear.com/suledli.html
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links