Maglight failed on me last night

This is a discussion on Maglight failed on me last night within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maglites are so last century. Time to upgrade and get into the 21st century! Okay, in all seriousness, Maglites are great flashlights. I've carried them ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maglight failed on me last night

Maglites are so last century. Time to upgrade and get into the 21st century!

Okay, in all seriousness, Maglites are great flashlights. I've carried them on the job for over 20 years and still have a couple. However, I haven't bought a maglite in well over 10 or 15 years. Too many newer and more efficient high tech lights on the market these days.

My Fenix LD20 which uses two AA batteries is 3 times the light my six C cell Maglite ever was. Although the Fenix isn't a club the way the Maglite could be, it's my EDC flashlight and can be used as a Kubaton. The Fenix is also much brighter with two AA's and much more versatile.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

They, Mag-Lites, are also considerably better than batons on car windows.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    They, Mag-Lites, are also considerably better than batons on car windows.
    Yes they are! I've busted out more than one car window with my six cell MagLite.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Maglites are so last century. Time to upgrade and get into the 21st century!.
    This is Arkansas LOL the state departments don't even take debit cards yet. People still write checks to pay for fast food. I kinda doubt we'll eve catch up to the 21st century . . . . LOL

The Maglight makes a very good striking implement. It works wonders on arms, ribs, knees, and legs.
    My CCL instructor said he'd had his shoulder blade broken by a Maglight. Also bonus points that pizza drivers are somewhat expected to carry a bright light (and "prohibited" from carrying a gun) so it's best to have one with "multiple" uses that won't get you fired.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    This is Arkansas LOL the state departments don't even take debit cards yet. People still write checks to pay for fast food. I kinda doubt we'll eve catch up to the 21st century . . . . LOL

My CCL instructor said he'd had his shoulder blade broken by a Maglight. Also bonus points that pizza drivers are somewhat expected to carry a bright light (and "prohibited" from carrying a gun) so it's best to have one with "multiple" uses that won't get you fired.
    Until Arkansas outlaws first cousin marriages they won't even catch up to the nineteenth century.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Biker

Speaking of using the flashlight as a defensive weapon, I can recommend the book Defensive Tactics with Flashlights by John G. Peters. I've had the book for over 20 years and have read it several times and practiced many of the techniques outlined in the book. I have applied the techniques on several occasions and they have always been effective. This is a book also highly recommended by Mas Ayoob and is carried in his book store at The Police Bookshelf. Just follow the link provided above.

The book will teach you how to use the flashlight appropriately and show you how to keep from actually killing someone when lethal force is not warranted, thus reducing your personal liability and possibly keeping you out of prison. A good addition to anyone's defensive library! And knowing it, is just adding more tools to your defensive toolbox.

There is also a video out on DVD called Flashlight Defensive Tactics. I have not seen the video so I can't recommend it. Just letting you know it's out there and available.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links