Maglight failed on me last night

This is a discussion on Maglight failed on me last night within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my LED Maglights died on me last night when I was going out in the dark. (As I've said before, I think you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maglight failed on me last night

Maglight failed on me last night

One of my LED Maglights died on me last night when I was going out in the dark. (As I've said before, I think you are far more likely to need a back up light than a back up gun.) Anyways, I'm just rambling and thinking "out loud"

Anyway, I had 2 others in the truck. When I pulled my other one out, it was SOOO much brighter than the other one had been. Note to self, a LED light is so bright even when it's "getting dim" that you may not notice it's actually getting dim.

So I got home, figured it was out of batteries. When I popped the tail cap inside there was kinda greasy bubbly gunk. Ah, battery failure. Lovely. I'm pretty sure this Maglight had seen some abuse. We used it when processing chickens last August, at night because of the heat (yeah I'm weird) so it possibly got a little wet or greasy then. After that it got buried in some junk in the back of my truck and rained on. This might have/probably contributed to the battery failure. Since it was the end battery that leaked, it would have been the one to get wet
    So I took it apart and cleaned it up inside. The tail end battery didn't really look damaged, but it must have leaked because it ate the chrome plating off of the inside of the light in that area.
    Again, Note to self and others. Might be a good idea to check up on your gear a little more often than I have been. Had I looked inside I would have noticed the damage before it quit on me in the night.

I think I'll be buying myself another pack or two of D batteries for Christmas. And after drying overnight, the light is functioning again with fresh batteries. I swear, I do dish out the punishment for my Maglights, but they've all recovered. Even my oldest one is still in service after a fishing trip "incident" - Which is why I keep them around.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

2. Remove Ads

Tala,
    I had that happen one time with my 4D Mag Lite, I have a suggestion for you, what I did. Take a paper towel core, the cardboard cylinder inside a paper towel roll. Cut it down to fit the length of your light, then cut it length wise so you can overlap it to fit inside the light between the batteries and the light. That will prevent the batteries should they go bad from leaking on the light itself, they will leak on the cardboard. Has worked for me, you might give it a try.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Hmmm that's an idea. We don't use enough paper towels to supply all of my Maglights though! LOL
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Thats a good idea Guantes, need to do that to my truck M-light that holds the three C batteries, maybe some brown packing paper cut to length ? something better than nada.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Thats a good idea Guantes, need to do that to my truck M-light that holds the three C batteries, maybe some brown packing paper cut to length ? something better than nada.
    Toilet paper tubes and duct tape???? I'm thinking on this

I don't see why that wouldn't also work. I think that cardboard would have a greater absorbant/stopping capability than wrapping paper.

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Good tip Guantes.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Get a Streamlight, Fenix or Surefire flashlight and never look back. Maglite = crap!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I would have to disagree. I have a 4D Mag-Lite that I have had for many years. It has served me well, not only for lighting, but other chores as well.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm with you Guantes. I have been a Police Officer and prior to that an armed Security Officer (site work and mobile patrol service) for 32 years. I have used many Flashlights over the years. I have had 3 Streamlights, 2 MagChargers, several Mag Lights, and currently use a Hell Fighter X-8. Out of all of them I have found the Mag Lights to be more economical and dependable. Emergency services personnel often put equipment through hell that will void any warranty in short order. The Mag Lights are less expensive to replace and if used for normal household activities will last a lifetime (batteries are a different story though). The only Mag Lights that failed me were ones I needed to be makeshift hammers in emergencies. After this type of treatment they will eventually fail but it takes quite abit of this to do it.

Well put. Re hammering, that depends what you're hammering on.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I'm with you Guantes. I have been a Police Officer and prior to that an armed Security Officer (site work and mobile patrol service) for 32 years. I have used many Flashlights over the years. I have had 3 Streamlights, 2 MagChargers, several Mag Lights, and currently use a Hell Fighter X-8. Out of all of them I have found the Mag Lights to be more economical and dependable. Emergency services personnel often put equipment through hell that will void any warranty in short order. The Mag Lights are less expensive to replace and if used for normal household activities will last a lifetime (batteries are a different story though). The only Mag Lights that failed me were ones I needed to be makeshift hammers in emergencies. After this type of treatment they will eventually fail but it takes quite abit of this to do it.
    Amen. Last time a cop came out to my dark place, his light was failing, but I could light up the woods at a great distance with a 2D LED Maglight. I'll keep mine thanks, especially at the price, and convenience of being able to get one at WalMart. Economical and dependable is right on the money. My mom has a Surefire light, she's always mail ordering "gizmos" - but my Mag's see daily use, and I see no reason to change them.

I've had a Rechargeable Maglite for approximately twenty five years and only replaced the battery three times. Also the lens and reflector after it got blood and other fluids on it during an altercation when I was on duty (contaminants not mine). One maglite failed me due to battery leakage and can't get batteries out to replace. Any ideas on getting batteries out I dried break free etc, no luck. Overall maglites greats since I replaced most with LED bulbs.

Well, the light is of no use to you like it is. I would take off both end caps. Then strike the rear end of the light on a block of wood on a concrete surface. That may create enough inertia force to discharge the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Get a Streamlight, Fenix or Surefire flashlight and never look back. Maglite = crap!
    I will disagree too.

The Maglight makes a very good striking implement. It works wonders on arms, ribs, knees, and legs.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links