Need Cleaning Supplies Checklist

This is a discussion on Need Cleaning Supplies Checklist within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if in the right section here...just wondering what I need to get to keep a 9 mm sa and a revolver clean? checklist ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Cleaning Supplies Checklist

Need Cleaning Supplies Checklist

Not sure if in the right section here...just wondering what I need to get to keep a 9 mm sa and a revolver clean? checklist anyone? thank you

2. Remove Ads

Gunzilla, caliber specific patches, nylon or coated pistol rod, nylon brush, bronze brush, 100% cotton rag, and q-tips. For the revolver, add a Bore Snake or an OTIS cleaning kit to pull through the bore.

I agree with Ram Rod. I would specifically emphasize Gunzilla and the Otis cleaning kit. I recently switched to Gunzilla after using Hoppes for over a decade. Gunzilla doesn't have the powerful smell and does a better job cleaning.

Some smells evoke memories!

If you think Hoppes No. 9 has a powerful smell, you had best never try running up a batch of Ed's Red!

The aroma of Hoppes No. 9 is as much a part of my shooting experience as is the smell of freshly-fired shotgun hulls... I use a lot of other products these days, but I'll always have some on hand.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You don't need to get too fancy. Gunzilla, cotton rags, caliber specific bore snake,Q tips and an old tooth brush will do the trick.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I use pointed cleaning jags instead of brushes/mops/slotted jags. A military style AP brush (large + small brush heads) will do wonders in a wide variety of nooks, crannies, and other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I agree with Ram Rod. I would specifically emphasize Gunzilla and the Otis cleaning kit. I recently switched to Gunzilla after using Hoppes for over a decade. Gunzilla doesn't have the powerful smell and does a better job cleaning.
    + 3 on the Gunzilla, Get yourself a med size plastic toolbox and start your gun cleaning kit. save old cotton t-shirts to cut up etc Good luck
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Eezox and cotton rags.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member
    Weapon Shield, bore snake, nylon & bronze brushes, q-tips, blue shop towels.

Administrator
    Cotton swabs with WOODEN sticks if you can still find any.

Anybody notice how the newer "Q-Tips" just bend right in half with very slight pressure?

They really cheapened them up....either that - or they made them more "ear safe"

Mid Way USA has 6" cotton swabs 100 to a bag part number MIL1036

Gun specific tools would be good in your cleaning kit, Allen wrenches (grip screws, mag release on 1911's and others), screw driver, picks for cleaning inside nooks and crannies, tweezers, don't forget a medium size towel to lay every thing out on if disassembly is needed, also pipe cleaners if needed.

As stated by others get a box, then start filling it with what you use as you discover you need it. I prefer not to share tools with my cleaning/service kit, If I borrow it from the garage then I buy it to keep in the kit, scissors for instance - (some one mentioned cutting up old t-shirst).
    Last edited by Wv7o; December 29th, 2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: spelling

....and check WalMart for supplies as well. Seems like they do that right.

I use CLP "Break Free" with an old cotton t-shirt, toothbrush, cotton swabs.
    Glock 36 / Crimson Trace LG-436
    Ruger LCP / Crimson Trace LG-431

There are plenty of preconfigured kit to choose from, but it's easy enough to build one your self pretty cheap.

-Rags (Old t-shirts work well. Something thin, absorbant and sturdy that won't shed fibers on the gun. Dish towel/bathing type rags are too thick, IMO, and tend to shed more.)

-Cotton swabs

-Pipe cleaners (Not a necessity, but I use them allot.)

-Brush (tooth brush will work, but one made for firearms will usually be stiffer and work better.)

-Caliber specific boresnakes (I haven't used a rod or patches since I started using these. They meet the same need, only more efficiently.)

-Cleaner, lubricant, protectant (Type is really up to personal preference. I personally like a separate cleaner and oil vs. the all in ones. This is where you should spend money on a good one.)

-Dental pick (Not a necessity. Don't use unless you know what you're doing as it can do more harm than good if used wrong.)

-Shaving brush (Good if you are ever in a particularly dusty environment. It works well for quickly cleaning the outside of the weapon; good for getting the grit off that will wear your finish. I don't need one stateside, but it was great for deployments)

-Rubber gloves (I don't use them, but some people don't like all the CLP products, etc on their hands for the time it takes to clean thoroughly.)

-Cleaning mat (Can be store bought [better protection for whatever is under it], or another old T-shirt folder over a few times will do it.)

-Something to put all this crap in -- I have one of the cheap tackle box inserts (~$2) from wallmart. Holds everything but the rags, and fits well in the side pocket of my rage bag.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links