Crimson Trace or Lasermax.

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace or Lasermax. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier At first the "off set" issue was an "issue" for me until I saw the results on the range. At any ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crimson Trace or Lasermax.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    At first the "off set" issue was an "issue" for me until I saw the results on the range. At any distance from muzzle to 50 feet the shots were dead "on." Even one handed from the hip. When I used the sights, the dot sits right on top of the front sight. Yes, as you go past the 50 foot line the impact of the rounds will begin moving to the left but only a small amount till the range increases to far more than what a shooter will be capable of under life and death pressure. Also, I did some experiments on a small private outdoor range and discovered that my POA was still dead on if I was holding the gun above a barrel and peeking around the side of the barrel to see the dot. Try THAT with a Lasermax! Odd shooting positions heavily favor the CT grips over the integral module. I also found that the CT grips didn't "feel" any different to me on my XD than on any other gun. The angles are all still the same. Maybe your hands are more "discerning" than mine, though. LOL

With my XD and the CT, it was substantial. . . the grip is almost round. I would draw from the holster and would have to reposition the pistol in my hand about half the time. Without the laser, it was dead on every time. It doesn't change the grip angle or anything, but it's like grabbing a ball without looking, and expecting it to be in the same position every time. The disclaimer here is that I had just gotten the pistol and was still getting accustomed to it, but I've never had that problem with any other pistol, nor did I have the problem with the XD without the CT.

Also, the CT grips that came with my LCR didn't have that problem, it's only the 'sleeve' style that I think has an issue.

Why do odd shooting positions favor one laser over the other? I'd think the Lasermax would be a bit superior in that regard since you have a really slight offset on one side, you have to get the whole right side of the pistol clear rather than just the muzzle. Not that you'd expect that kind of precision to matter, but there wouldn't be any disadvantage to the Lasermax, which is directly below the muzzle itself.

Like I said, the offset was just annoying, it wouldn't be a practical issue, but it bugged me. Just a touch of OCD, lol.

The only thing I didn't like about the Lasermax for the XD is that it seems like the guide rod and spring assembly that came with my pistol is a lot heavier duty than the one on the Lasermax, but some of the other Lasermax modules for other calibers are as heavy or heavier than the assemblies that came with the gun. Must not be a problem, since they have a great warranty and great customer service, and a fantastic reputation.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Why do odd shooting positions favor one laser over the other? I'd think the Lasermax would be a bit superior in that regard since you have a really slight offset on one side, you have to get the whole right side of the pistol clear rather than just the muzzle. Not that you'd expect that kind of precision to matter, but there wouldn't be any disadvantage to the Lasermax, which is directly below the muzzle itself.
    The main reason for the CT being better for odd shooting positions is the ON/OFF button can be actuated with one finger in a straight back movement (or by the palm from the rear) on the newest generation of CT Lasergrip. That's not the case with the lasermax. Guide Rod Laser for Springfield XD(M) Either the laser is ON or it's OFF there is no mechanism to pause the beam, as there is with the CT products. It takes a settled position to put the beam on or off and that's fine for a training situation but no so easy for the stresses of a real confrontation.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    The main reason for the CT being better for odd shooting positions is the ON/OFF button can be actuated with one finger in a straight back movement (or by the palm from the rear) on the newest generation of CT Lasergrip. That's not the case with the lasermax. Guide Rod Laser for Springfield XD(M) Either the laser is ON or it's OFF there is no mechanism to pause the beam, as there is with the CT products. It takes a settled position to put the beam on or off and that's fine for a training situation but no so easy for the stresses of a real confrontation.
    Ahh, gotcha. Your other post made it sound like it was the beam position, not the actual operation that made it easier. In that case, I agree with you. Really though, it's not difficult to activate the LM, but the convenience of having the CT 'always on' with just the pressure on your grip activating or deactivating the beam is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    I am a big fan of CT. They are excellent on 1911's. I don't particularly like the clip on grips for the polymer guns since it increases the size of te grip. I find that the Laser Guard works better for polymer guns. I do not like Laser Max. I have one installed on a Sig 229. I find that I have to stop and clean the tip of the laser after shooting a couple of magazines.
    Any holster issues?? Which model do you have installed on your 229, (LG329 or 429)? Is the grip girth increased alot?

Just curious since I'm shopping around. BTW, best prices????
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Any holster issues?? Which model do you have installed on your 229, (LG329 or 429)? Is the grip girth increased alot?

Just curious since I'm shopping around. BTW, best prices????
    I personally have never had any holster problems with any of the CT products and I have gotten some stellar deals from two sources for the CT Grips: Ammo & Hunting Gear, Camping & Outdoor Equipment, Military Surplus & Clothing at Sportsman's Guide or CDNN INVESTMENTS: CDNN Sports, Inc. At CDNN I saved a little over $100 on a new set of 1911 CT Lasergrips. Did that deal just 10 days ago.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

CT for me. I CAN'T WAIT!!! I just bought some from another a friend and am getting them put on this weekend. I have wanted them since I used a friend's at the range. I also watched their video, if you've seen it, you will want them on every gun. Since I only own one, that's easy for me. I plan on having them on every gun I get. I don't know much about the lasermax. I have never seen them in person. ONLY COMPLAINT - I wish they would also make a set for leftie's, just another area we are left out. :(

I just put CT's on my Kimber. I LOVE THEM!!!!!! They are the Burl Wood ones, not the black rubber. They make the gun look sharp. I have a friend with a collection of over 100 gun's. ALL the Kimber models and most Springfield, he also has 10 pair with CT grips, NO lasermax. I will practice with and without the switch on. I just watched the video's and decided my life and the life of my loved one's was worth it, plus I paid less than 1/2 buy buying (never) used from a private party. I don't think I will carry a gun that doesn't have them.

C T

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I ordered CT for my Springfield, should be here tomorrow. I will have to replace the ambi safety with the bobbed version which should be here in a day or two. I use a TLR2 on my FNP (no CT for that gun) and while a bit unwieldy, I actually think the weight cuts down on muzzle flip. Now that I carry the 1911 every day, the FNP with the light laser is relegated to home defense.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You know...........I've never actually been a fan of laser sights on CC pistols. I have laser sights (detachable rail mounts) on a couple of my weapons. Last year, my wife wanted her G26 with CTC lasergrips (since she had tried out several at the local gun shops). I got her G26 and installed the CTC lasergrips. At that time, my wife worked nights in a convenience store, and I could see the need, and her being ultimately comfortable with her CC. I spent the better part of two hours at the Glock authorized dealer talking about the laser sights available. He actually had a lasermax installed in his personal G23 which he let me test. The Lasermax is a pulsating laser.....personally, I don't like those.....I'd want to have a constant on beam. The CTC LaserGrips are nice for what it's worth from my perspective. I like the fact that my wife likes them on her CC. That's about it. I have no need for a laser on any of my CC pistols while carrying.
    I agree. I bought laser grips for my M&P and J frame. I just did not like them and sold them. It threw off my natural shooting, if that makes sense. Save your money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links