Crimson Trace or Lasermax.

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace or Lasermax. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a XD subcompact and I'm thinking about getting a laser sight for it. I would like your opinions on the LaserMax and the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crimson Trace or Lasermax.

Crimson Trace or Lasermax.

I have a XD subcompact and I'm thinking about getting a laser sight for it. I would like your opinions on the LaserMax and the Crimsontrace. thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

I have two guns with CT. I was never interested in lasers. One gun already had the the CT installed when I got it and the other was a factory installed S&W 642 CT that the wife wanted. The thing I like about the CT is that you don't have to do anything to activate it. Laser comes on when you grip the gun. The only time we ever mess with the laser is the cut it off while shooting. I don't see a down side to having a CT on a gun other than $$. I still don't think the laser is a must have and don't give it any consideration when chooseing which gun I carry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Ct all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    IThe thing I like about the CT is that you don't have to do anything to activate it. Laser comes on when you grip the gun. The only time we ever mess with the laser is the cut it off while shooting.
    - I agree. The Crimson Trace is much easier to activate because the laser comes on during a normal grip. If you want a laser for self defense purposes, you don't want to be fumbling around looking for an activation switch.

can the Crimson trace be deactivated for sights only practice?

VIP Member
    CT pretty much has the high ground and I sorta like em'. I used one at the range and it did work for quicker target acquisition. Even so, I see it more useful as a training aid.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by kimberhappy View Post
    can the Crimson trace be deactivated for sights only practice?
    - It depends on the model of the grips. Some have a on/off switch while others do not.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Vid...6/Default.aspx

Watch the 7 videos they are well worth it. Let us know what you think.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I watched them and they are very convincing ; as do alot of advertisements. I was looking for info from those with personal experiences. thanks.

You know...........I've never actually been a fan of laser sights on CC pistols. I have laser sights (detachable rail mounts) on a couple of my weapons. Last year, my wife wanted her G26 with CTC lasergrips (since she had tried out several at the local gun shops). I got her G26 and installed the CTC lasergrips. At that time, my wife worked nights in a convenience store, and I could see the need, and her being ultimately comfortable with her CC. I spent the better part of two hours at the Glock authorized dealer talking about the laser sights available. He actually had a lasermax installed in his personal G23 which he let me test. The Lasermax is a pulsating laser.....personally, I don't like those.....I'd want to have a constant on beam. The CTC LaserGrips are nice for what it's worth from my perspective. I like the fact that my wife likes them on her CC. That's about it. I have no need for a laser on any of my CC pistols while carrying.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I have CT grips on both my 2 CCWs (kimber raptor ultra and raptor pro)--I do love them--I do most of my practicing with them turned off, then turn them back on when done practicing. I read a LEO training document for some big department that was investigating CT--significant number of LEO stories talked about the deterrent effect of that little red dot on the perps chest---I hope that I never need my CCW for real, but if I do draw and point--if the CT acts as a de-escalator and causes the BG to backdown so I don't have to actually shoot--then it was money very well spent.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I've used Lasermax, ArmaLaser, and CT. CT is the best for the reasons stated, IMHO. I have them on all my carry guns - Lasergrip on my G19, and Laserguards on my G26 and LCPs.

The Lasermax website has user feedback, from LEO, military, and civilians. Interesting stuff...

http://www.lasermax.com/CustomerStories/index.php

If some of the real-world (not internet commando) feedback there doesn't convince you of the value of lasers, nothing will.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a set of CT's on a gun, very easy to activate, I set it up to visually sit on top of the iron sights. I practice both with them on and off. They do take some practicing with to be fast, just like red dots do.

I occasionally see customers with Lasermax problems. I have not seen a CT with a problem not user caused. The only drawback to the CT is that it doesn't work for us lefty's. Support hand thumb blocks the laser. If you want to disable the laser for training, just pull the batteries out.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The one my 1911 and the wifes S&W 642 have on/off switches. The only time we cut them off is when shooting. Of course we always do some practice with them on.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links