Can a Surefire G2LED stand up to 12 gauge recoil?

This is a discussion on Can a Surefire G2LED stand up to 12 gauge recoil? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get lights mounted on more of my weapons. Particularly some of my HD shotguns. The ...

Thread: Can a Surefire G2LED stand up to 12 gauge recoil?

Can a Surefire G2LED stand up to 12 gauge recoil?

I am currently looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get lights mounted on more of my weapons. Particularly some of my HD shotguns. The Surefire G2 LED (http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led), says that the bulb assembly is virtually indestructible. Has anyone tried one out on a 12 gauge to see how it held up to the recoil with repeated use?

I guess this question also applies to 6P LED lights as they are slightly more expensive, but cost a lot less than a purpose made WML. There are also replacement tail-caps available so you can run a pressure switch from these lights.

Thoughts?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Cool

I know this is expensive but this is the way to go on an 870. No I do not have one but I have used them on departmental weapons and they are great.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire...hts-618fa.html
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I don't have experience with the model in question, but I did have a surprise with my 12 ga.
    I found a LED light I really liked. It had a 1" diameter so I got a rail mount from UTG that is very well made. I guess I didn't tighten the screw down enough, because after about three shots from my Mossberg, the light flew off the gun and landed on the floor.
    No damage to anything, but I was shocked how it could come loose.

Old School, I know that is the way to go if I want a decidated one on a specific shotgun, I am trying to find a way to be able to swap a light among 3 shotguns. Two of them are pumps, and one is a semi-auto. So that dedicated forend would work great on my 870, not so hot on my 500.

I already have one very expensive Surefire the same model as what we are issued, that usually sits on my M4gery, keeping everything as close to my work rifle as possible. So I'll spend the bucks if I have to, but would prefer not to.

Guns and more, the recoil of a 12 gauge certainly offers some unique challenges when mounting lights, so I am currently trying to figure out in addition to the light, the best way to mount it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

LED will handle 12 guage recoil I have a Surefire fore end and it's great.

look at brackets here:

www.cdmgear.com

Distinguished Member
    The 6P Defense has the click on tailcap on it. It runs $112 , almost the same cost as adding a tailcap to the G2, but less than the 6P with a add on tailcap.. I am waiting for opticsplanet to get the new 120 lumen 6P Defense in, free shipping and no tax. I am mounting mine in a CDMgear Mod C clamp.

If I new that my L4 wasn't going to fit the Mod C clamp. I would have got the MT clap and mounted a Streamlight TLR 1 to it.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    The 6P Defense has the click on tailcap on it. It runs $112 , almost the same cost as adding a tailcap to the G2, but less than the 6P with a add on tailcap.. I am waiting for opticsplanet to get the new 120 lumen 6P Defense in, free shipping and no tax. I am mounting mine in a CDMgear Mod C clamp.

If I new that my L4 wasn't going to fit the Mod C clamp. I would have got the MT clap and mounted a Streamlight TLR 1 to it.
    I've got an older 6P LED, that is actually shiny instead of black it got carried so much while I was working in country, I like them, good lights, I'll have to keep an eye open on some of their models. It seems like the LED's should be able to handle the recoil.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I have a Surefire E2D light mounted with a Vikings Tactics ring/rail adapter, it was only ~$20, works great on my Kel Tec Sub 2000

By the way got it at Optics Planet, great service, good prices...

VIP Member
    I have and love my Surefire 'BackUp' and I really admire the construction quality. I have dropped it on hard surfaces more times than I can remember and it keeps on working. Though not near as shocking as from a recoil, I still have no doubt it would hold its own. If you buy directly from Surefire, they will replace any of their products under such use.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I mounted a G-2 LED to my 870. Can it withstand the recoil shock, yes it can with no problems.

Issues I encountered, the 1st mounting bracket was a cheepie from Cabela's. Recoil would slide the light down the extended mag tube, scratching the weapon & interfering with the pump action. Snapped the tighten screws trying to get it to hold.
    2nd mount ordered from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1..._SHOTGUN_MOUNT clamps on the tube nice, bear to get the light in. Had to pry the clamp open with a screwdriver grease the light handle & wedge it in. The clamp is so open to the point were the hold down screw won't line up to the threads. This is still a work in process, the G-2 has a larger Dia. then one inch unlike what they tell you. Without the screw and a box of high brass later the light has not moved.
    It is not right and bugs the hell out of me, everything on my weapons has to be perfect. For now it sits in the safe for an other day.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I mounted a G-2 LED to my 870. Can it withstand the recoil shock, yes it can with no problems.

Issues I encountered, the 1st mounting bracket was a cheepie from Cabela's. Recoil would slide the light down the extended mag tube, scratching the weapon & interfering with the pump action. Snapped the tighten screws trying to get it to hold.
    2nd mount ordered from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1..._SHOTGUN_MOUNT clamps on the tube nice, bear to get the light in. Had to pry the clamp open with a screwdriver grease the light handle & wedge it in. The clamp is so open to the point were the hold down screw won't line up to the threads. This is still a work in process, the G-2 has a larger Dia. then one inch unlike what they tell you. Without the screw and a box of high brass later the light has not moved.
    It is not right and bugs the hell out of me, everything on my weapons has to be perfect. For now it sits in the safe for an other day.
    I have the exact same set up on my 870 and M1 with around 45 rounds with the light on and no problems, and their both 6P LED's.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Links