B.O.B. list: Required items?

This is a discussion on B.O.B. list: Required items? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a while now I have been wanting to put together a Bug Out Bag, but have a tendency to over pack. Thinking of something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: B.O.B. list: Required items?

For a while now I have been wanting to put together a Bug Out Bag, but have a tendency to over pack. Thinking of something for at least 2 months of get out of Dodge issues.

Things I know I need to have.

Water purification
    Knife
    Compass
    MREs (or some sort of food replacement)
    Blanket (a keep warm something)
    First Aid Kit
    Regional map
    Flashlight + extra batteries
    Fire starter (magnesium & flint)
    A plan

Things I want to have/be able to carry
    Hand gun + 200 rounds
    Rifle + 100 rounds (long range - 500m+)
    2 changes of clothes
    A book on Medicinal/edible plants (my region)
    Personal Hygiene items (tooth brush, deodorant...)
    E-copy of critical documents. Bank accounts, ID (state issued, birth cert, SSN, passport...)

I know there is more, but this is all I can think of at the moment. My plan for WCS social collapse involves the wife and I vacating where we currently live, and a 120 mile trip (by highway - not part of my path) to my cabin in the mountains, which means crossing over the continental divide...12k feet. Theoretically 1 week on foot, with the wife in tow, probably closer to 2 weeks. With only 4 roads over the divide within 100 miles, I doubt driving any farther than the foothills (30 miles) will happen. Biggest concern is getting out of the city intact.

What's in your bag?
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 18th, 2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: fixed title typo
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Walking over the divide in anything but summer, and then could be some challenges, would be one of my major concerns. I agree getting outta Dodge is something to really think about.

My initial thought is that you'll need to pack light equipment, since you'll have so much of it. Find stuffthats multi purpose and carry one tool instead of two. As a firefighter, I carry a "Maxx axe" in my gear. Google it, it's an axe, prybar, wrench, and hammer in one light tool. Skip MREs and look at freeze dried camping style food. It takes up less space and weighs less. Instead of an Army/Navy store surplus ALICE pack, get a modern and light frame pack from an outdoors store. It will weigh a lot less, and if you are just going to store it most of the time (you hope!) durability wont b e a problem. Pack clothes you can both wear, think about "space blankets" instead of some bulky wool blanket, etc. It probably goes without saying that you and your S.O. should consider using compatable guns in the same caliber so you only have to carry one kind of spare magazines, parts, holsters, ammo, etc.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I saw a great episode of Personal Defense TV that covered this topic. They were in New Orleans and gave some great examples of when to bug out and when to bug in.

They also went over one guys BOB and *his* personal choices. I would recommend finding the episode on their Web site and watching it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I'd recommend finding three destinations to go to. Then map out two or three routes to each. Collect topographical maps of those now. In an emergency you won't have the time or concentration to get same results. I'd put a sleeping bag from Wiggy's in your kit. Instead of a bag, a good backpack would be better in case you gotta hoof it. Maybe get a mountain bike w/ rack for vehicle ??An advanced first aid kit is a must. Weigh your pack, give it a weekend test run on a hike/camping trip.Keeping $500-1000 bucks in it might be a good idea too...

VIP Member
    Reads sorta like EDC for some forum members
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Reads sorta like EDC for some forum members
    LOL! LMAO! You stole my thoughts.

A BOB needs to be well thought out in advance and will change frequently over time (my BOB is currently in it's third revision and will likely change many times more). What do you want your BOB to accomplish? You are talking about having your entire life turned upside down, often with very little advance notice. There is going to be fear, chaos, and many unknowns you will be facing. For whatever reason, you are being forced to leave the sanctuary of your home and venture out into the unknown, for an undetermined amount of time, with nothing more than what you will carry with you in a vehicle or on foot.

Above all, items in it should be items of high quality because you are staking your life on every item you place in it. One of the things I teach in survival education is that survival is a very personal thing. How much do you really value your life? How much do you like to gamble on things which may determine whether you literally live or die? So, everyone is going to have their own comfort level based on their own personal experience and knowledge base. Are you willing to spend top dollar on items you'll dedicate to being kept only in your BOB and used only during an emergency evacuation? Do you know you can stake your life on them? Or, because of the fact they will see little use you want to go on the cheap side? One task everyone should do is put their BOB and survival items to the test. You should work with your tools to know they will work. This also means you will have the added expense of replacing a lot of items you either use up or break in the testing process.

What are you going to have as a minimum in your BOB? What are your immediate priorities of life? Fire, Shelter, Signal, Water, Food, Medical, Essential Tools, Personal Items? Every BOB is going to have it's limitations. For example, mine has very limited use for protection in contaminated environments which you might find in a terrorist attack using chemical or biological weapons. Likewise areas of pandemic or other health risks. Evacuation is the key to survival in those events and likely the only situations which will force me from my home. My main plan is to stay put and shelter in place in my fortified and hardened home. That is where I have a stronger defense, more stockpiles of necessities, and more resources available.

My present BOB is designed to keep me alive on nothing but the contents of the kit for 72 hours. However, it is also designed to assist me in setting up a camp, procuring food, water, shelter and assisting me to survive for a much longer, extended period, up to possibly a month or more.

Good luck in your endeavors.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One of the things I have in mine is an Eton emergency radio. It has an LED flashlight AM/FM weather radio, solar cell and hand crank generator. It also has a mini usb port so you can charge your cell phone from it. AM broadcast signals travel much further than FM. In a MAJOR SHTF your only source of info could be an AM station a couple hundred miles away.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

As some others have said, a plan is the place to start. If possible, like many I'm staying home. More supplies, heat, food, etc. IF I have to leave:

Have options on where to head. Plan what car to take, what routes may/may not be accessible. I know right now, if I have to hoof it I'm in some trouble. I'm not sure where I'd head. I have a couple of ideas though.

Working on putting together a bag:

Gotta get one. After a lot of research, probably going with a Kelty hiking bag, as it has the most options, features, and comfort. Contents (split between me and my fiance):

First aid kit.
    Water filtration system - able to filter bacteria and viruses.
    Cold weather clothing - sweatshirt, pants.
    Warm weather clothing - shorts, shirt.
    Extra underwear, socks.
    A couple hundred feet of paracord in / strapped to each pack.
    Fire starting - right now we got that orange emergency stuff - forgot what it's called. Flint and steel in a weather proof container.
    Poncho's.
    Local map, compass.
    Multi tool axe / shovel (Gerber Back Pax).
    Deck of cards.
    Toothbrush, toothpaste
    Tarp
    Sleeping Bag (1 each)
    3 - 4 person tent.
    SOG Seal pup elite.
    Dry bags to store tinder/fire supplies/etc.
    Small role of duct tape.
    One or two Mag Lites / Mini Mag's, at least 3 sets of spare batteries.
    4 mags for my .40 topped off w/jhp's
    5 30 round mags for my AR topped off with fmj rounds.
    My AR on a sling.
    My .40 in a holster
    If possible by then, a light weight AR for her. If not, my 870 and some bird shot for small game. Thought is to have one long gun in hand each, or have one in hand, one strapped to the side of a pack. TBD on if that'll work.

Freeze Dried food / MRE's. TBD on what to do here. Right now, we're stocking up for home. I have a couple of tubbies w/food, and a sheet to track expiration so we can cycle it before it goes bad.

Split between the both of us, I'm thinking that shouldn't be too bad, and will cover the essentials - heat, food, shelter.

Comments welcomed - especially since I don't have it all together yet.
    AnejoNH likes this.

I know if I'm on foot, I don't want to hump more than 15-20 lbs. so my B O B loses an item or two each birthday.

Have a goal for your bag, and remember, you can "what if" the weight up to 100 lbs. so keep it to the bare essential?

Bug out = Run for your life.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Here are a couple links from prior threads on this topic which may help you with some ideas. The first link has a list of the contents of my BOB and the layout in the pack. The second link has a list and photos of ScubaDuba's BOB.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-a-bug-out-bag

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-Guy-s-Set-Up

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-First-Aid-Kit

You want more information on BOB's? This is the place to go! Lots of pictures
    http://www.neardeathexperiments.com/...p?topic=2509.0

The Ultimate BOB and an excellent primer on the philosophy of bugging out! Hard Core!!! (Lots of photos. Takes a moment to load)
    http://neardeathexperiments.com/smf/...22.msg23#msg23
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I don't want to be crucified for saying it, but I think you are carrying to much ammo; handgun in particular. And if you already have your cabin, why not stock it better and find a way to shorten your "commute" time?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nothing wrong with having a cabin or somewhere to go. Just remember, you do not control the events, the events control you!

Bear in mind, the location of your summer home, or cabin, or retreat where you plan to head, may be right in the middle of trouble or what you are trying to get away from. Then if all your supplies are there, you've just lost a good portion of your survival plan.

Also don't underestimate the possibility of your "little get away" having been totally ransacked before you get there. Or, taken over by a group of heavily armed squatters.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Also don't underestimate the possibility of your "little get away" having been totally ransacked before you get there. Or, taken over by a group of heavily armed squatters.
    This is my concern, and would be the reason I suggest shortening the travel time. Societal collapse and expecting your cabin to be available after two weeks sitting empty? Good luck. Your time needs to be measured in hours not days IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links