Maglite LED XL100 Review

Maglite LED XL100 Review

This is a discussion on Maglite LED XL100 Review within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a month ago, I was shopping for a decent flashlight that did not use 123A Lithium batteries as I can no longer afford to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Maglite LED XL100 Review

About a month ago, I was shopping for a decent flashlight that did not use 123A Lithium batteries as I can no longer afford to sell vital organs for the cash necessary to keep away the darkness.

Eventually, I stumbled upon what has become my EDC flashlight, and, in my not-so-humble-opinion, a fantastic value:

The Maglite LED XL100.

Retailing on Amazon for around $35, http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-XL100-...5595065&sr=1-1 this little beauty has quickly ingratiated itself into my daily life.

I guess I'll get the cons out of the way first, but I must emphasize that these are not really too terribly bad all things considered:

1. No lanyard ring
    2. No pocket clip
    3. No crenelated bezel

...and that's it. I could care less about these things to be honest with you. My SureFire's clip snapped off very soon after I began to use it, and I have no use for a lanyard. The sharp edges on the bezel of some lights just eats through pockets and furthermore, I can't do any of the snazzy hand-to-hand stuff in my condition anyway. That's what my knife is for should they get that close...

I guess that for some people the fact that it is only about 80 lumens is a bad thing, but I'm not trying to sear corneas, I just want to have some vague idea about what I'm doing in the dark. For what it's worth, my step-daughter's boyfriend was a wonderful (and unwilling) guinea pig for experimentation, and he reacted about as you might expect when I shined the light into his eyes one dark night under a new moon.

He had to feel his way back up to the house and follow my insidious giggling to get to the door.

So, that was good...

Another "bad" thing is that it uses a "carrier" to hold three AAA batteries. This is a little plastic doo-hickey that slides in and out of the shaft and holds the batteries in place. Some folks consider this to be the Mark Of The Beast, while I find myself completely unable to drum up any antagonism towards it what-so-ever. To each, their own...

So! What do I like about it?

Boy, let me tell you!

It fits in my pocket really well, it works every time I need it, it uses 3 AAA, which are easy to find and emminently more affordable than the 123A Lithiums, and it has really easy to use features that I actually use:

1. One handed dimming
    2. One handed Strobe
    3. One handed Switch Lock-out/Unlock

"But wait, EvilMonk, how does it let you do all these things with only one hand?"

I'm glad you asked. It has a little motion sensor in it. Pressing the button on the tailcap for more than one second will activate one of 5 features:

Dim
    SOS
    Strobe
    Signal
    Nite Lite

Depending on how you hold it (in relation to the ground), the top option will be activated by pressing and holding the tailcap switch for 1 second. The dimmer allows you to set the light's output (permanently, until you reset it) for low-light needs or high and bright illumination.

The strobe is activated by one second of constant light followed by a flash frequency that, yes, you can set to either frantic rave all the way to lethargic blink.

I'll let the manufacturer's video do the heavy lifting on the details as it is really well done, but suffice it to say, the options on this thing are quite useful and subject only to your imagination when it comes to limitations.

Here are some pictures of dubious quality (iPhone's are great, but shaky hands suck) that I will now inflict upon your unwitting souls!

Here's the link to the promised video (dumb embed won't work):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Tq-ZCeKMc

The NiteLite feature would serve well as a sort of motion sensitive alarm in a hotel or while camping. It is VERY sensitive to vibration and might wake up some of you that are more susceptible to light while they sleep.

I have not much use for the signal function, but would have in the USMC. I could think of some uses for it, but they are largely childish, immature, and best left unsaid on the interwebs...

It is made by Maglite and I trust you have heard of this august corporation. Their reputation is built on dependability, product strength, and truckers who like to run over flashlights. Just as with any other Maglite, when dropped (shaky hands, remember?), it doesn't shatter or break or even chip. I had to accidentally launch it down my driveway (don't ask) to even make a tiny little dent on the lens cap. It's just as tough as it's larger brethren and I am a great tester of such things as I am about as physically adept as a drunken mollusk with parkinson's AND epilepsy.

All in all, it is a great light that has everything I need and some things I don't. I like it, it works well, and it annoys the neighbor lady who really is the Bride of Abaddon and the Queen of Hell.

I'm kidding. I'll let you decide about what.

Just another option for those of you looking for a dependable light in the growing darkness that threatens us all!

Be safe and have fun!
    Last edited by EvilMonk; January 21st, 2011 at 03:52 AM. Reason: It's a long post. I screwed up a lot. So sue me. :)
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

That is pretty weird the way that thing works. Interesting.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Maglite they have many years of experience
    Thanks You and God Bless You DefensiveCarry.com

Nice review. I'll be considering it.

When I was around 12-13 me and my buddies though it would be cool to ride our skateboards on our bellies through the drainage pipes. Yes, I just felt sick thinking about my 5yo doing such a thing, but that's not the point. The point is that we used to literally throw my dad's maglite ahead of us over and over to both see ahead and take out the spiderweds. We did this multiple times over the course of a summer. He still has it and it works like new.

Definitely have faith in the brands reliability.

Yes, I was an idiot.

I've used the XL50 a bunch. It goes through AAA batteries a bit faster than I would like, but worked well for as long as I had it. It only had Hi-Lo-Strobe, but that's all I ever needed. It disappeared one night at a friend's house, so I've been on the lookout for a replacement. One of these might work.

I bought an XL50 in February for use as an inspection light at work (I'm in QC) and it worked so well I began carrying it as an EDC light.

Then about a month ago the switch went out and it would only light up if I held the button down.

It's been back at the factory two weeks and I haven't heard anything back from them.

Hope you guys works better than mine. I've had a couple of the D-cell lights from 1982 that have never let me down. The XL50 was disappointing to say the least.

Got my light back today. Repair order said "Bad Board. Repair/Reprogram".

I'm skeptical of using this light now.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I prefer the xl50 over the 100. I would never want to edc something so complicated, there is already enough to worry about normally. 3 clicks, 3 settings, same brightness as the 100, and can turn it in any direction without having it dim. Good light if you dont ever use it for a S.D situation tho.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Well, after having my Surefire G2 (incandescent 120 lumen bulb) die on me while on duty a few nights ago (that thing just sucks batteries...) I picked up a Maglite XL50 myself from Lowes for $25.

Only things I have to say bad about it (so far) are that it has no clip, does not come with a holster (but the one for my Surefire works), and that the recessed clicky button does not lend itself well to the "syringe" light/handgun technique.

On the other hand, the recessed button does prevent the light from turning on by accident, which can be an issue with the Surefire, unless you unscrew the tailcap a bit, which makes it slower into action.

Given that my primary off-duty is now a LCR, I probably won't use the "syringe" technique anyway, as it puts your support hand dangerously close to the cylinder gap.

So far, so good. Time will tell.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    On the other hand, the recessed button does prevent the light from turning on by accident,
    Mine has came on several times with pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Mine has came on several times with pocket carry.
    Thanks for the head's up. I have a small Energizer light I use for daily carry. The XL50 would be for duty use, carried in a light holster.

Was the light the only thing in your pocket when it came on unintentionally?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Was the light the only thing in your pocket when it came on unintentionally?
    Yes, lens down/button up.

CJM
    I think the XL50 in all it's simplistic glory is probably a better option for most people than the other models with the complex interfaces. I do think Maglite failed though in not having them operate on CR123's, or at the very least AA's. In this day and age, there is no reason why we should still be using AAA's in flashlights, or most any other device unless it controls the tv and satellite receiver. That's why I can't consider them to be a serious use light. I think they would make a good backup light or for light work around the house.

As to the cost of CR123's, sure they're expensive if you go to Home Depot and buy a pack of 4 for $8, but if you watch prices online, they can usually be had for around a buck a piece in bulk and they have a 10 year shelf life.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I have the XL50 and it's a great light, might look into one of their newer more powerful ones as well - thanks for the review.

Very interesting. I'm all about a good Maglite. I have Surefires, cheap chinese surefire clones (Ultrafire Brand), and Maglites. But for some reason I am still drawn to the Maglites... Must be nostalgia.

Either way....Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links