Need Recommendations on Plate Carrier that will accept 10x12 rectangular back plates

This is a discussion on Need Recommendations on Plate Carrier that will accept 10x12 rectangular back plates within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been considering moving into the hard armor world recently, and need some recommendations on a carrier. The plates I'm looking at are the bulletproofme.com ...

Thread: Need Recommendations on Plate Carrier that will accept 10x12 rectangular back plates

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Need Recommendations on Plate Carrier that will accept 10x12 rectangular back plates

I've been considering moving into the hard armor world recently, and need some recommendations on a carrier.

The plates I'm looking at are the bulletproofme.com standalone level IV ceramics. These look to be the best value plates readily available to the unwashed masses like me, though if anyone has other suggestions, I'm certainly open to them.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Ar...ml#Stand-Alone

I'm reasonably medium build and 10x12 plates that I've test-fitted fit me well, so I figure I need a carrier that will support bulletproofme.com's 10x12 "shooter's cut" plate in front and the 10x12 rectangular plate in the back. I also want one that will support BALCS/SPEAR or concealment cut IIIA soft armor in addition to the plates.

Of the ones I've researched so far, I like the Mayflower Low Profile Assault Carrier best.

http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/...er/Detail.bok#

It fits concealment cut IIIA soft panels in addition to the hard plates, has side plate pockets if I decide to add those later, and claims to be thinner and lighter than most other carriers. The only problem is that the back plate pocket is clearly intended for a trapezoidal SAPI plate, not the rectangular ones that I've got my eye on.

The Tactical Tailor Low Profile Armor Carrier is another option, but I haven't researched it as much as the Mayflower.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/lowpro...orcarrier.aspx

Does anyone have any other recommendations for carriers that will fit a rectangular back plate? From what I can tell, bulletproofme.com's plates are pretty popular, so people must be using them in something. Either that, or everybody just buys two front plates and kinda makes it work.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

2. Remove Ads

Are you going into a war zone? Or just a mall ninja?

VIP Member
    Why do YOU want to wear body armor at all, let alone hard armor?

I'm just curious, trying not to flame, just asking a sensible question. What need do you feel you have for armor?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Either that, or everybody just buys two front plates and kinda makes it work.
    yeah..Gecko45 had his wife sew them in his tactical vest, and reinforced them with duct tape.

VIP Member
    Whenever I need a good laugh, I look up that story. It always makes me laugh.....HARD!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

No, I'm not going into any war zones or fast-roping into any mall food courts, and I don't need to take multiple .338 Lapua rounds to the back . However, there are plenty of situations where hard armor would be good to have, without having to be a Door-Kicking GI Joe Ghost Ninja.

Tactical carbine classes are the first that spring to mind. If I'm going to be around lots of strangers moving quickly, all of us armed with rifles and performing unfamiliar techniques, I'd like to be wearing something that can stop an errant round. Yes, the instructors should set up the class to minimize the risk, but they cannot eliminate it, and I'd rather ere on the side of caution than be that one guy who gets shot in the back by someone with poor muzzle discipline.

A civil breakdown would also make hard armor very attractive. Not everybody who might be interested in shooting me during a mass gas shortage or a hurricane Katrina type of event will be armed only with a pistol. This is part of the reason that I liked the Mayflower carrier: It's thin and low profile enough that I could wear it underneath a loose shirt without it screaming "ARMOR!!!!!!!", even with plates in it. The guy in this video is showcasing the non-MOLLE version of the same carrier I posted earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80sBSvJ3JGU

A throw-over-the-head fast-don plate carrier would be a good thing to have handy in the event of a home invasion. Again, not all home invaders only have pistols. And a stand-alone throw-over carrier can be faster to put on than a soft vest. This is a different application than the the carrier I'm looking for, but it's a perfectly valid use for hard armor all the same.

I've never understood the stigma people attach to owning or wearing body armor. Of all things, a purely defensive tool should be welcomed by those who wish to keep their families safe, right? Yet even some people who carry a pistol every day for that exact purpose think it's silly to own armor capable of defeating the same weapons they possess. I'm not talking about wearing plates or even a soft vest 24/7/365. But it's not too difficult to imagine scenarios where I would be very thankful to have it, just like it's not difficult to imagine scenarios where owning an AR-15 would be very beneficial.

To answer the question, I'm in the market for plate armor in order to increase my preparedness and broaden the means I have to defend my family. No Tactical Tommy or dress-up stuff here.

Should I take it that nobody has any recommendations for a good carrier?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Should I take it that nobody has any recommendations for a good carrier?
    not on this forum I don't think......

Personally, I don't see a problem with civilians wanting body armor.

I want to get a set to make into a "bump in the night vest", holding everything I might need, and able to put on in seconds. (I have done it, when it counted, in seconds, from a dead sleep). I wouldn't wear it every day under my street clothes, but it would be nice to have. I want at least level IIIA for that, with the possibility of plates. In my mind, if I am going to make such a vest, I might as well get some protection out of it.

As someone who has used 3 different types of body armor in the last few years, I will offer a few tips for you. First, make sure that is is easy on/off, something along the lines of that Mayflower vest would be my top pick. It covers the vitals, and doesn't have too much extra crap. To put it on, I would leave one side of the cummerbund undone, put my other arm/head in where they go by putting it over my head, and then closing up the side. To remove, undo the same side, and undo one shoulder strap, and lower it to the ground. Then re-fasten the shoulder strap so it is ready to go. Mine had clips on the back of the shoulder strap so you didn't have to adjust the velcro, might be worth looking into.

Get something that covers the vitals, and not too much else. I had one set that had a bunch of additions, around the neck, for the groin, and side SAPI plates, all that extra stuff adds weight, makes it more uncomfortable, and isn't really needed. You don't want a lot of extra material.

I personally like the current trend of the cummerbund being secured in front with the flap, if that makes sense. Put a couple mag pouches on the flap, and once you drop it, it will stay put and keep the cummerbund connected. I had one set that opened vertically, and sometimes it didn't like to stay closed, it was also harder to fit.

I would also get a flak that allows for the same plates to be used front and rear, instead of a particular plate for each. Ceramic SAPI plates are susceptible to dropping and impact. If my front plate was compromised, personally I would like the option of swapping it out with the rear one, because if I have a choice, I am generally going to be front towards enemy (of course Mr. Murphy and BG's seem to conspire), but I would like the ability to swap plates.

As far as what is on the market now for systems, I haven't looked into it as much as I should, I just use what I am issued, but I hope that helps you consider some points. But I can say that Tactical Tailor is a great company to work with, never used one of their vests, but I have ordered some of their other products. Actually I ordered a M-203 40MM belt from them, they sent me the wrong color, and when I told them, they sent me the right color, and said to keep the other one. If I was going to buy one of their carriers, it would be the hybrid enhanced vest, as I don't like the way it looks like the Low-profile one secures (it looks like just a small clip on each side.)
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Ok I'll bite. This is what I used my last deployment to Afghanistan while working with a bunch of SF guys. http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_Weesatch_..._p/hsg.508.htm

Throw some strike face plates in it along with some soft armor next to the skin to help absorb the shock of being hit with 7.62 zombie rounds. As for home invasions, the most likely outcome of trying to dawn a hard armor plate carrier under extreme stress is your going to A. take way to much time putting it on and screw the pooch. B. While trying to dawn the armor your going to hit yourself in the head with the plates and knock yourself out (i'm guilty of that one). If you are looking for some sort of setup for home defense look at http://www.uspalm.com/index.php?opti...=product&id=10 "the pistol option" and I wouldn't suggest putting your primary weapon in the holster, a secondary of the same make would be ok with some extra ammo but not your primary. First thing secure your area then put your gear on, you don't wanna be looking for your weapon when seconds count. If all else fails and the zombie hit your neighborhood, find the nearest group of fat people and run past them. Zombies tend to go for the weaker ones first.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

We are just saying... In a home invasion, putting on a plate carrier would be like #100 on the to-do list.

Thanks for the suggestions. Buckeye, I think I agree with you about the Tactical Tailor HEV. It looks like a better design than his other carriers. Good point about being able to swap plates as well. I hadn't considered that, though for my uses I'm not sure if I would ever need to do it, short of an extended zombie apocolypse. All the same, I guess it's better to have and not need.

As for the home invasion discussion, I pointed out that a throw-over style of carrier, like this one, would be better for that situation than trying to strap myself into a full carrier with cummerbund and all. I agree that it's something that would have to be practiced until I could literally do it in my sleep, but to me, throwing on some armor makes as much sense as grabbing my pistol and a flashlight and barricading the bedroom door if I really think there's someone in my house who shouldn't be. I'll burn the few seconds it takes while my wife is on the phone with 911.

Links