Defensive Carry banner

carrying a tactical light as an edc light

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  alachner 
#1 ·
Hi guys and gals, I have the oportunity to purchase an Insight m3 WML for around $65. I am with the crowd that doesn't want to leave it on the gun all the time for saftey and holster practicality reasons. I also dont have an edc light. I see you can buy a belt clip for this light that would allow me to wear it as an edc light and quickly mount it on my XD if needed. I was wondering if anyone had any oppinions on this idea. Thanks in advance for the replies.

#6 ·
Super,
The answer is no, but it gives you a better option if you do have time. Shooting with a WML is two handed shooting, shooting with a Non-WML is pretty much one handed shooting as far as control of the weapon is concerned. The only method I have found that works almost as well is the Graham method.

The down fall of the light mounted to the gun and no holster to secure it makes it a non-starter for me. I want to be able to holster up when the cops show up or I need to go non-lethal on someone.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am also picking up a holster that will accept the the light mounted, for around the house, and have looked at a few handheld edc lights. I think i have it narrowed down to a quark 123 squared, and a fenix pd30 r5. They seem to be in the price range, lummen range, and size range. There are alot of lights to choose from, probably leaning tward the fenix, and when the XD goes into the vault it can recieve the wml. Thanks again

#9 ·
I also don't like to mount my WML to a gun with a chambered round. It's kind of counter-intuitive to have my hand around the muzzle of a loaded gun. Especially under times of extreme stress. I've done it before, but it always gives me the Willies. I want to mount my light with an empty chamber and then load the pipe. Not likely to happen when carrying the light separately when out in public.

It's always the little things which come up and bite you in the butt.

#11 ·
I have a Streamlight TLR-1 weapon mounted flashlight on my dedicated nightstand handgun (HK45). I think for the intended purpose, it functions perfectly well. Nonetheless, I think that a WML for concealed carry is a hassle due to the holster problems it conveys and the difficulty of concealment. I believe it is better for CC to carry a separate flashlight and practice shooting while holding your flashlight in your off-hand and below the grip of the handgun. My EDC flashlight is a Surefire E1B Backup or a Streamlight Microstream for when I have to dress in business attire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.