>Review< Blue Book Of Gun Values software

This is a discussion on >Review< Blue Book Of Gun Values software within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just Received the 27th edition Blue Book of Gun Values book on cd ( with the inventory program $49.95 ) it comes with a year ...

Thread: >Review< Blue Book Of Gun Values software

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

>Review< Blue Book Of Gun Values software

Just Received the 27th edition Blue Book of Gun Values book on cd ( with the inventory program $49.95 ) it comes with a year subscription so hopefully it will allow me to update to next years at that price .

I will put the Synopsis at top , DON'T WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY . If you have a special need of the invitatory portion , ok it may be worth it to you , otherwise its almost all downside .

Does the software work ? Yes , after a fashion since its not user friendly , the interface is a nightmare , the search function at the most generous " kinda " supports any sort of wildcard lol .

The way it apparently works is by installing Microcrap sql server on your computer and then requiring a broadband connection for any updates . Now if your not really a " computer " person , allow me to just state that this creates an entire new set of security concerns for you and your private data .

The cd is apparently " bundled blue books " for firearms , and modern black powder , and air guns since it gives the option of looking into any of them when installed . ( tho the subscription for updates you have to choose one book )

The cd took about 45 days to arrive but in all fairness I guess I hit the transition time between last years and this years when I ordered . Upon arrival the software would not register , a phone call to the nice and helpful lady at customer service determined that the Registration Key stickers on some of the cd's had been improperly printed cutting off the first digit of the registration code , she both gave it to me over the phone and emailed the complete one for handy printing or reference tho .

After playing a bit with the search ect.. I was able to quickly run up 18k or so of my guns in a test database . During this time I noted that about half of what I reference in the book has been left off the cd, and is available online thro your subscription as .pdf files not much important , things like the photo grading reference system , serialization ect.. oO( can we say hostile site rip ?? ) LOL

So on the plus side I don't now have to pitch a huge paperback in my laptop case , nor do I need the cd to run the bluebook .

On the down side if you are not intimately familiar with guns and the blue book specifically , search is going to be pretty much useless to you since it does not wildcard well . also there is no easy way to scroll thro the pages of the book , you get a list of what looks to me to be about 1 page of the actual book , must scroll to bottom to change page ( so don't say choose colt with no specific model and start scrolling unless your REALLY curious , and have lots of time lol )

If you need to inventory your guns , I guess its ok But my estimation is honestly .....

are you ready ...

Use the paper back blue book , and set up an exel file , then spend the rest of the $$ on cheap beer and an ugly stripper . At least then you will have something for your money ( a story lol )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs

Use the paper back blue book , and set up an exel file , then spend the rest of the $$ on cheap beer and an ugly stripper . At least then you will have something for your money ( a story lol )
    That ones gotta be good!

Thats a interesting review especially the buy the book part

RR -- you're right, just get the book. We figured that out with a sample copy where I work -- the regular old paper book is so much better. I think if Blue Book had a real programmer, it would be a buy, but not sure what they're doing now because, as you said, lots of problems.
    I can't comment on the ugly stripper because I only know beautiful ones. Oh, and I lie a lot, too.....
    I would take the saved money and buy beer though!

Links