Tactical pant comparison video review

This is a discussion on Tactical pant comparison video review within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Shiphted I wear Propper Tactical Pants and they are also $49.99. What's your opinions on those? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tactical pant comparison video review

Quote Originally Posted by Shiphted View Post
    I wear Propper Tactical Pants and they are also $49.99. What's your opinions on those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those are one of the few brands that I don't have yet (check out all of my other pant reviews). The reason I won't buy the propper is that I want 2 cell phone pockets - 1 for my cell phone and 1 for my work phone. So they just won't work for me.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    great review
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    great review
    Thanks! This was early on in my pant reviewing career. Now I've had some people accuse me of only doing pant reviews I've done so many! :-)

Distinguished Member
    Whenever I see a new pair of pants I first check your channel to see if you've already reviewed them. But all your videos are informative.

My favorite pants now are the 5.11 Taclite Jean-Cuts. Waist sizing issues aside (as we discussed on YT) they are great for everyday casual wear. I really just wish they made them in denim!

I also like the Vertx Phantom LTs but the more I wear them the more I think the pant legs are too wide (at least for me), and thus I don't wear them much any more. I've been thinking about seeing if I can get them altered so they fit a little less baggy. Either that or I try going down a waist size in them, but I don't see that as making a big difference in the seat/thighs.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Whenever I see a new pair of pants I first check your channel to see if you've already reviewed them. But all your videos are informative.

My favorite pants now are the 5.11 Taclite Jean-Cuts. Waist sizing issues aside (as we discussed on YT) they are great for everyday casual wear. I really just wish they made them in denim!

I also like the Vertx Phantom LTs but the more I wear them the more I think the pant legs are too wide (at least for me), and thus I don't wear them much any more. I've been thinking about seeing if I can get them altered so they fit a little less baggy. Either that or I try going down a waist size in them, but I don't see that as making a big difference in the seat/thighs.
    Thanks. :-) I still have some Massif and Woolrich Elite pants in my drawer that I need to get to. Working on some AR vids at the moment. So much stuff to review, so little time... :-)

Fantastic review!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Fantastic review!

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks boatman!

Distinguished Member
    [QUOTE=SnareMan;2374349]Thanks. :-) I still have some Massif and Woolrich Elite pants in my drawer that I need to get to. Working on some AR vids at the moment. So much stuff to review, so little time... :-)[/QUOTE

I actually have a pair of the Woolrich Elite jeans. They aren't too bad. They fit like a carpenter jean and the denim seems of good quality, but it's a bit too think for hot summer days. Not sure if that is because of the denim or the extra pocket material.

I haven't tried the Blackhawk pants, but prefer the Tru-Specs over 5.11. I'm a lefty and the Tru-Specs have a symmetrical pocket design (whereas the 5.11s are built for right handed people). The only downside to the Tru-Specs for me is that they are a little noisier than the 5.11s. Other than that they have worked really well for me and been very durable.

Great review video!

I have 3 pairs of 5.11's cotton canvas pants, and I really like them. It seems that the newer ones have a "phone pocket" that expands more than the pocket in the video. I did get one pair on eBay that had a really tight pocket like the one in the video.

The strap on the back - I actually looked it up an found an interview with the woman that created the original 5.11 hiking shorts... The loop was for people that were into sailing - for holding winch handles apparently! She said people that were into hiking/climbing at that time were also into sailing. Just some useless trivia ;)

Quote Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
    Great review video!

I have 3 pairs of 5.11's cotton canvas pants, and I really like them. It seems that the newer ones have a "phone pocket" that expands more than the pocket in the video. I did get one pair on eBay that had a really tight pocket like the one in the video.

The strap on the back - I actually looked it up an found an interview with the woman that created the original 5.11 hiking shorts... The loop was for people that were into sailing - for holding winch handles apparently! She said people that were into hiking/climbing at that time were also into sailing. Just some useless trivia ;)
    Yea, the new Taclites have a larger pocket on the right side. I've heard several variations on the story of the strap on the back. I've heard what you mentioned. Also heard its so you can drag someone who has been injured. Since 5.11 was originally Royal Robbins and 5.11 denotes a difficulty degree of climbing the former explanation sounds more plausible. I don't really care for the 100% cotton ones thought. Too thick, dry slowly, wrinkle more, shrink lots, fade lots more.

Distinguished Member
    I ordered a pair of the Stryke pants last night. I've been looking at them but the price is a little off putting. Then I watched your video again and the order was made. I do like that they are a trimmer fit and the cargo pocket is higher and fairly low profile.

Your videos cost me money! lol

Oh, did you see that 5.11 is coming out with a competing knife for your Benchmade Triage?

I ordered a pair of the Stryke pants last night. I've been looking at them but the price is a little off putting. Then I watched your video again and the order was made. I do like that they are a trimmer fit and the cargo pocket is higher and fairly low profile.

Your videos cost me money! lol

Oh, did you see that 5.11 is coming out with a competing knife for your Benchmade Triage?
    Sorry about your wallet.

Do you mean the 5.11 Double Duty Responder knife? I already complained to them about how they need to redesign it. I'll give you my issues with it if you're interested or is there another one that I haven't seen yet? I did recently get a Gerber Hinderer Rescue knife and have an Emerson SARK Rescue in the mail. I came really close to ordering a Spyderco Assist although didn't think I needed another one before the Emerson is even here. The Hinderer is $60 and while its a nice knife the BM is still better. I guess for twice the price it ought to be. Its hard to beat that rescue hook on it.

Distinguished Member
    Yes, I was referring to the Double Duty Responder knife. I'm interested in what you think about it. The one thing that struck me as odd is the seat belt blade being a serrated edge instead of the typical hook or exposed blade in handle. Can't use that on clothing, at least not easily. I've seen the Gerber and have been tempted to pick one up myself for my BOB/truck bag. The Benchmade is probably better suited for professionals using it day in and day out.

Yes, I was referring to the Double Duty Responder knife. I'm interested in what you think about it. The one thing that struck me as odd is the seat belt blade being a serrated edge instead of the typical hook or exposed blade in handle. Can't use that on clothing, at least not easily. I've seen the Gerber and have been tempted to pick one up myself for my BOB/truck bag. The Benchmade is probably better suited for professionals using it day in and day out.
    Yes, that is exactly my problem with it. You can use the main blade (which is already a safety blade with the rounded tip) to cut a seatbelt as easy as you can that little flipper part. There is no cutting clothes off with it to expose a wound. I think its a totally poor design and basically a waste of that little flip out part. If it was something closer to a hook I would order one. Looks like a great knife otherwise and I like the color, but that little flipper seems useless. I wrote to them about that months ago, not that they would actually listen to me. I told them what was wrong with their flashlights too, but they didn't do anything about that when they came out with the ones after the initial ones that I reviewed. They are good lights, but the UI needs to be changed to have an isolated high output, not one where you can accidentally cycle into low when you don't want to. I conducted an informal poll of LEOs on CPF and everyone that responded agreed.

The Gerber is nice, but its just too hard to open 1 handed. I talked to Rick Hinderer and he said that BM basically stole the flip out hook design from him. Although I have to say that if they did, they improved on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links