"Waterproof" Safes?

"Waterproof" Safes?

This is a discussion on "Waterproof" Safes? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a gun safe that will go in the basement, bolted to the cement floor. Due to the location, the threat of water ...

Thread: "Waterproof" Safes?

"Waterproof" Safes?

I'm looking for a gun safe that will go in the basement, bolted to the cement floor. Due to the location, the threat of water damage from flooding/burst pipes is as much of a concern to me as anything else. My budget is around $1000 which puts me in the ballpark of most of the ~24 gun sized safes. A safe of that size seems like it would fit the bill for my desire to hold my modest but growing rifle collection, some handguns, ammo, important documents, and any other small valuables that I might acquire.

Originally, I had narrowed my search down to the Cannon "Patriot" series model number P22. Cabela's sells the Cannon 24 gun safe for $899. They also have a Cabela's branded Cannon that looks to be of similar dimensions for $999. Both include shipping. I'd have to research the difference if any before I bought one of these because they look identical. Cabela's doesn't list the Cannon model number but I believe based on weight, dimension, and 30 minute fire rating, that the model they sell is either the P22 or based off the P22.

My local Tractor Supply carries a Cannon safe they list as a TS6030. It appears to be a model number specific to the unit that Tractor Supply sells and looks to be similar in dimension/fire rating but lighter (and therefore probably of less thick steel) than the P22. Its only $699 but doesn't include shipping, and they don't offer delivery. I'd imagine I'm not saving myself any money or headache as I'd have to rent a truck and pay some friends to help me anyway.

Once I started down the path of thinking about the fact that I'm bolting this safe to the floor in the basement where water damage could be a concern, the Stack-On "Total Defense" 28 gun safe model GSXW-528 popped up on my radar. I've found it online for about $1050 delivered (and the slightly smaller 522 for about $150 less), and I believe there is a local gun shop selling them for about the same price with free local delivery. The Total Defense line looks like its the only safe in my price range that markets the as being water proof for any period of time. Stack-On doesn't have the reputation and history of building "real" safes, so I'm a little concerned about this one. It does appear to have many of the recommended features listed on the website I've seen posted several times.

Are there other similar "Waterproof" safes in my price range I should be aware of? Are other safes equally waterproof but just not marketed that way?
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

How damp is your basement to begin with? Either way you go Id probably get something to help with the moisture of being underground inside the safe.

General dampness hasn't been an issue. That being said, I'm still planning on using an Evadry or something similar. I use dessicant pouches in my ammo cans and smaller safe I use for my handguns currently. I'm mostly worried about a repeat of what happened after I moved in. It was early spring and the ground was already saturated from snow melt, then it proceeded to rain hard for about 2 weeks straight. Water seeped up through the concrete floor for about a week after the rain stopped. We had quite a bit of work to fix the drainage around the house but with as much snow as I have piled up, I could see it causing some issues again come springtime.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Realistically, very few affordable safes will be waterproof - as in, hermetically sealed. Most safes are also designed to be bolted to the floor, so there are pre-drilled holes in the base which work against water entry. It would take a well-designed O-ring seal on the door and no other penetrations to achieve the degree of waterproofness it appears you're seeking.

What I've seen done is to install the safe on a substantial platform which is 1-2 feet above the basement floor, as a hedge against moderate but not catastrophic flooding. Both my CT homes were subject to basement flooding, but it never got more than about a foot deep. A good sump pump installation is a reasonable DIY project. I used a 1/2 HP Little Giant submersible utility pump in a recess I carved out near the low spot in the basement floor (that was the hard part), and a home-made water-sensitive switch kicked the pump on if I wasn't around. (Commercially-available switches exists if you're not into the hobby aspect of it.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Smitty,

Originally I thought about putting the safe up on a block platform like my boiler was installed, but I think that would make it difficult to bolt to the floor and even if I did, easily knocked over since the block could be broken away fairly easily giving some leverage against the bolts. Bolting to the wall might be an option with some models but most I've looked at only had pre-drilled holes for floor mounting. Luckily I'm on a hill and the basement is on the same level as the garage, so after a few inches of water buildup it will spill over into the garage and across the road into a lower laying pond. If water reaches a foot in my basement/garage, I'll be more concerned about acquiring a boat or helicopter and worry about the rest with the insurance agent later. I guess "waterproof" is probably overkill for what I'm looking for, but definitely want something that's not going to seep water through the bottom mounting holes or the bottom lip of the door enough to be soaked up into the carpet or wooden buttstock given a few inches of water.
    Ron Paul.

This one claims to keep 2' of water out for 72 hours:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...292572.2292624
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Since you are only concerned with a few inches of waterdepth, pour a solid concrete platform for the safe to sit on.

Sponsored Links