Fenix Lights

This is a discussion on Fenix Lights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been enjoying the LD10 for several years. It quite simply blows my Surefire away in terms of size and battery type. The Surefire ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fenix Lights

I have been enjoying the LD10 for several years. It quite simply blows my Surefire away in terms of size and battery type. The Surefire uses costly 123 batts and the Fenix uses inexpensive AA batts. Simply no comparison. My Surefire pulls bedside duty only now.
    Surefire got cocky and got left behind, in my opinion.

2. Remove Ads

I have a PD31 - tip for those with the 123A batteries: get them from Amazon or similar places. You will save lots of cash.
    Anyway, the PD31 is much brighter than my incandescent G2, and with its low power setting(s) is much more usable for routine tasks. On max settings, it can burn your eyes out in broad daylight.

Just picked up an E21 from a local surplus store for $35. Haven't put it through the paces yet, but it appears to be simple, burly and well made. I have a buddy that's sworn by them for years, now i see why.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

I've posted a LOT today.....

But I have a question/comment about fenix. I have a PD20 as I said earlier I love it, however, I have noticed it gets hot after about a minute of continued use....has anyone else noticed this?

Sorry for the hijack
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

I never could understand why people pay BIG money for Surefire lights. The Fenix is just as good a light for alot less money. I have a PD3 and a TK10.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    I've posted a LOT today.....

But I have a question/comment about fenix. I have a PD20 as I said earlier I love it, however, I have noticed it gets hot after about a minute of continued use....has anyone else noticed this?

Sorry for the hijack
    In non-technical terms, since I'm a layman myself ----> LEDs do produce heat - not "forward heat" radiating from the "bulb," like with incandescent lamps, but rather, "within themselves."

LEDs Magazine - Fact or Fiction

For small, high-powered, flashlights, heat-sinking is a design must. Some of the earlier examples of this genre, such as the ARC LS, demonstrated a neat phenomenon: if you turned them on and left them on, pretty soon, they'll become so hot that you can hardly hold them in your hand; however, if you held them in your hand constantly, *you* effectively became the heat-sink, and while the body of the light would get very warm, it would not be uncomfortable to the touch.

Another real-world demonstration involved the harsh winters of these past two years. Across many parts of the US, LED-based traffic signals are becoming more and more prevalent, due both to their efficiency as well as durability/reliability. Unfortunately, due to lack of "forward heat," it seems that many of these also have a tendency to become completely obscured in driving snowstorms - and causing accidents.

A final example of how some smart thinking overcame this particular trait of LEDs is with the LED headlamps on current-generation Audis. With no "forward heat," a headlamp's ability to self-defrost/self-clear in inclement weather is clearly demonstrated by the traffic-signal analogy above. But remember that high-powered LEDs produce a lot of heat within themselves, and that this heat can not only affect their output/performance, but actually lead to the early failure of the LED. So what does Audi do? Yep, they put some small fans back there - and voila, you extract heated air from the LEDs heat-sinks, and blow this air onto the "lens" of the headlamp, heating it enough so that it defrosts.

So, that's the round-about way of saying: don't worry, it's normal.

Thanks TSi!! I am not at ease
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links