Help me sight in my red dots (AR and .22LR)

This is a discussion on Help me sight in my red dots (AR and .22LR) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1) I bought an Eotech XPS OPMOD for my RRA AR-15. It is basically an Eotech XPS with a 7mm riser for a lower 1/3rd ...

1) I bought an Eotech XPS OPMOD for my RRA AR-15. It is basically an Eotech XPS with a 7mm riser for a lower 1/3rd co-witness with iron sights. I plan on shooting this rifle within 50 yards or less. This is of course until the end of the world scenario happens and I may be forced to make longer range shots. What yardage would you suggest I sight in my Eotech at? (I have my irons sighted in at 25 yards as per many discussions I have read)

2) Secondly, I bought Ruger 10/22 tactical and placed a TruGlo holosight on it. The sight is affordable, and offers the same outer circle with center dot configuration as my Eotech. This makes the Ruger a good/cheap practice plinker for my AR. What do you suggest I sight this red dot sight in at, keeping in mind it will also be used at 50 yards or less as a practice rifle?

I ask you all because I appreciate and admire your advice, and I always learn from you. Thank You.
    PS- I'll post pics when I can get my wife to explain to me how to work her Digital SLR
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I always sight a rifle in at a hundred yards no matter what distance I am planning to shoot it at, its not going to affect your zero much at 25-50 yards and will enable you to guesstamate a longer shot if need be
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

ARs in 5.56 benefit from sighting in at 50 yards... which will put you pretty much dead on at 200 yards as well. Thus zeroed, your POI will be no more than 2 inches above or below POA out to about 250 yards. Small variations on these numbers will occur due to bullet weight and barrel length.

With the 50 yard zero, part of your training mindset needs to consider "offset" - inside of 25 yards, aim about an inch high and you'll be within an inch of POA.

Here's a good reference: RIBZ - - Revised Improved Battlesight Zero (now with down-loadable 50 yard zeroing target) - AR15.COM
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Great help, thank you. Any suggestions for the 10/22?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Administrator
    The TruGlo "holosight" is not a true hologram/holographic weapon sight even though they are calling it a "holo" - it is simply an illuminated reticle reflex sight.

10/22, I'd zero it at either 25 or 50 yards, but - it depends on what you want to do with it, and the typical ranges at which you think you'll be shooting. For my scoped 10/22s. and my "Liberty Training Rifle" with Tech sights, I zero at 50 yards and just accept that I'll hold higher or lower at different distances. .22 rimfires are nowhere near as flat-shooting at their centerfire brethren, but a lot of the fun of shooting .22s is doping out how they shoot for you and your gun.

Check out the .22 LR ballistics here: 22 LR Ballistics @ Gunsmoke Engineering

and some good discussion here: How far should I sight my .22 lr? - TheFiringLine Forums
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My 10/22 has a scope mounted on high rise rings so I can use the iron sights as well. The scope is set to 100 yds and the iron sights are set to 50 yds. I have put many a rabbit on the table with that sweet little rifle.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

Links