Laser Grip Off Center...

This is a discussion on Laser Grip Off Center... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO I assume lazers on the grip (Or to the right of the gun) the point of impact will be just a hair to the ...

Thread: Laser Grip Off Center...

Laser Grip Off Center...

SO I assume lazers on the grip (Or to the right of the gun) the point of impact will be just a hair to the left of the red dot when shooting? Is this hard to get used to? I know it isn't much but a 1/4 inch give or take.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Normally you zero in the laser at a specific distance. Mine is set at 15 feet. As to getting used to, if I could hit within a 1/4 inch of my point of aim, I would be one happy camper
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I got it, so it is angled to your prefered distance?

The differential angle between the barrel and the laser is not that great. If the point of impact is a smidge to the left, adjust the laser a smidge to the left.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'm guessing you're talking about a Crimson Trace? If so, there is an adjustment for windage and also one for elevation. I zero my sights for 25'.

hmmm

My question was apparently too vague. Maybe this will help;

If my crimson trace is zeroed in at 10 yards, then it is off at 25 yards by some inches +/- or fraction of an inch +/- to the left, correct?

The dot tracks "up left"

The Crimson Trace laser sits to the right and below the bore. Pick a "zero in" distance. At shorter ranges the dot will be to the right and below the point of impact. At longer ranges the dot will be to the left and above the point of impact. The greater the distance from "zero" the greater the error in the position of the dot relative to the point of impact.

A good distance to zero the dot is generally considered to be 10 to 15 yards for personal defense purposes.

Hope this helps.

awesome

That was the explanation I was looking for thanks.

RKM
    Unless you're using you laser as a range aiming advantage, I wouldn't get too worried about it being slightly off.

I have a TLR-2 on my USP and CT grips on my Kahr, and they're within an inch or so of the sights. I have them for point shooting for in a defensive situation. Not target shooting.

I understand the circumstances differ, and it may not be an issue for you or others, it just sounded to me like the guy at the gunshop claimed it was zeroed no matter what, and logically it did not make sense to me.

And then I started to think, you now in action movies where the bullet lands right on the red dot, well even if your lazer is on the lower rail, then it will shoot high/low depending on your distance because the lazer is in an upward angle from its position...

When you are slow like me, things like this take a while to sink in. Thanks for all your help.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Druff View Post
    ...the guy at the gunshop claimed it was zeroed no matter what, and logically it did not make sense to me.
    Right. Either the laser beam and the barrel's bore axis (disregarding bullet drop due to gravity) are parallel or they are not. The only way they could be zeroed at every range would be if the laser source were on the bore axis as well as its beam parallel to the bore axis. We know the source is offset from the bore axis, so at best there will be 1 point where the beam and axis intersect.

Here's something from the Crimson Trace forum that might help.

Re: Leaving the factory 50 yrds sighting
    Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 0900 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's actually 50 feet. Since the laser is slightly off axis from the barrel (roughly 1/2" to 3/4") the laser converges with the bullet impact at 50 feet. At zero feet it's 1/2" off to the right and at 100 feet it would be 1/2" off to the left. 50 feet was picked as a compromise. I typically sight my guns at 15 to 20 feet for home defense or CC. It's always a good idea to check the laser to the guns point of impact at the range as each gun shoots different and also the shooter has an impact on the guns accuracy.

Dan
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I prefer the ProArms sighting method in which you keep the bore and the laser parallel. The laser dot is never exactly where the round hits, but they never cross either. I start at about 5 yards and after getting that set test at 7 and 10 yards. If I get things set right the round should hit the same distance from the laser dot at each distance. It works for me. YouTube - 018 Crimson Trace Review
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links