Gun safe

This is a discussion on Gun safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have come to realize that there us as many opinions and options with gun safes as there are cars. I have been through the ...

Thread: Gun safe

Gun safe

I have come to realize that there us as many opinions and options with gun safes as there are cars. I have been through the ringer and I still am not sure what I want!!! It's getting very over whelmming!! Ok so I am at a $1200 dollar price range shipped and all. Hopefully I can find one close and puck it up. I have looked at cannon and liberty and stack on and sentry and they all look about the same as far as in that price range. The bigger the better as far as capacity. I would like atleast 28 gun. From what I hear they don't hold near as much as they advertise. I also came across a safe at a hardware store. It was a "big horn" made by rhino safes? It's $1300 out the door. 30 gun safe with a 70 min fire rating (compared to the 30 min of the others) and a 10ga body compared to the 12 ga steel of the others. Looks great. Any opinions!??

2. Remove Ads

Big Horn is a good one in that price range. You are correct in that they have better "specs" for the money. Anything less than 1 hour fire is nothing, and that's probably not enough either. I did a LOT of research on this before buying. In that price range, for the best specs for the money, with the most room: here are the winners: Steelwater, Big Horn, Diamondback, Mutual. All Chinese, all probably about the same safes, with slightly different trim and finish. For the money, their specs are better than some of the pricier names, although not quite as nice-looking.

Just FYI, I ended up with a 39 Gun Steelwater, for $1300 delivered. I'm happy with it. I think the Big Horn is slightly better if memory serves, but just a little more dollars. Winchester has good fire, but the steel is only 12 ga.

Yes, there are better safes out there, but money is always a consideration.

Here's a good start...
    Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Be sure to look at locking device quality, combination (manual vs electronic, including battery change access) vs key or key and combo, access time for a forced entry and means of same and what component gives that access, i.e. the weakest link -- the longer it takes the greater the likelihood of deterence because most thieves don't want to hang around long enough.

Electrical outlets inside for dehumidifier inside the safe, as well as a small lamp to give you a good view of your property being stored and perhaps a chargeable flashlight.

I've been doing research too though haven't yet found one like yours, which is pretty much what I'm looking for. Will likely have to rearrange a walk-in closet to make for a nice fit.

Higher fire rating is good and the heavier gauge steel is better for fire rating, it adds weight and is harder (longer) to drill through using standard tools out of my garage, which most non-pro's would likey be using, all compounding the deterent effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Big Horn is a good one in that price range. You are correct in that they have better "specs" for the money. Anything less than 1 hour fire is nothing, and that's probably not enough either. I did a LOT of research on this before buying. In that price range, for the best specs for the money, with the most room: here are the winners: Steelwater, Big Horn, Diamondback, Mutual. All Chinese, all probably about the same safes, with slightly different trim and finish. For the money, their specs are better than some of the pricier names, although not quite as nice-looking.

Just FYI, I ended up with a 39 Gun Steelwater, for $1300 delivered. I'm happy with it. I think the Big Horn is slightly better if memory serves, but just a little more dollars. Winchester has good fire, but the steel is only 12 ga.

Yes, there are better safes out there, but money is always a consideration.
    I am a big fan of bighorn!!!!!!! just got a new one, if you are a memeber of costco you can order on-line, wait for a sale I got the 999 dollar model for 600 including shipping just 6 weeks ago and I love it for the money it is a great deal!!

Look at bear safes. one thing to remember on any safe is when a bad guy attemps to enter it, hes going to destroy the dial, keypad, etc. That will cost you a lot to have repaired. With Bear safes, it takes a key and the lock is recessed in a hole where you can not access it to try and drill it out or otherwise damage it. They have a great fire rating (2 hour) and are prices decent.
    I would NOT buy any safe that has an exposed locking system for reasons stated above.
    Bear Safes - Gun safes, mailbox safes, etc

Well I spoke to a lady over at steelwater gun safes this morning. I like the 39 gun safe. It's 1 hour fire rating is nice but we are back to a 12 gauge steel. I asked her that in the you tube videos that safe the guys attacked is a 1 hour safe? She said no it was a 2 hour version but we did a test of a 1 hour and the only difference was that if he would have kept hitting the safe over and over on the side with that big ax, he would have eventually gone through. He hit it 20 times with no luck though. So I don't know? Is 12 ga steel alright? I mean in a real world situation with my alarm going off and my pit bulls going nuts do y'all think they would take the time to break into this thing?? It's freaking huge and if it takes the same abuse the 2 hour takes there is no way a smash and grab thief would get into it. Let me know opinions? Thanks!

Better built gun safe

I recently went through "never ending" safe search before making my choice. There are a number of good gun safes to be sure but what I discovered is that there are a great deal more that are of questionable value. The old saying " you get what you pay for" really does apply with this purchase. Do yourself a favor and look at Sturdy Safes. Most safes that are Chinese made use 12 gauge construction. A quick YouTube search will show two guys opening a safe of this type opened with a crow bar in under 5 minutes. They can easily be breached on the side with a fire axe in the same time.
    There are some safes that have 10 gauge wall construction but not many. Sturdy safes are built using 7 gauge steel and can be upgraded in some models to 5 gauge. It may be a bit more than your price point but if you really want a decent level of antitheft in my mind it was worth the extra price.

I already have a Liberty, but the next one may be from Pendleton Safe Company. Very unique. Look for reviews on GunBlast.com. Prices are not listed however. Good luck MattMan.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Here's a good start...
    Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    Excellent info. I used this before buying my safe.

Oh...if you want the best (IMO) - Amsec & Graffunder.
    ...T. Ray

I would love to have the best the problem is the cost of the best!! Hahaha! I am looking to spend about $1300 MAX! I found a safe store a few hours away and when taxes come in me and the misses will be taking a trip. I am between the fatboy jr and the big horn 30. I love the capacity of the liberty and 45 min fire rating bit hate the 12 ga sides. I love the fore rating and 10 ga of the big horn but 1) not made in USA and 2) lower capacity. I have like 16 guns now and I am only 25 and have a son so I need bigger. Probably going with the liberty. Btw, fire dept is a rock throw away. Any other suggestions??

Links