Legalities of 33 Round Glock Mags in Ohio.

This is a discussion on Legalities of 33 Round Glock Mags in Ohio. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The ORC defines the information to file with the county sheriff. That's what I did. Downside? It costs $50. Upside? It's permanent and never expires. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legalities of 33 Round Glock Mags in Ohio.

Get the permit.

The ORC defines the information to file with the county sheriff. That's what I did. Downside? It costs $50. Upside? It's permanent and never expires. I can load up with 33+1 and be forever legal.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by razman View Post
    The ORC defines the information to file with the county sheriff. That's what I did. Downside? It costs $50. Upside? It's permanent and never expires. I can load up with 33+1 and be forever legal.
    It's legal as long as you pay a FEE?If that isn't Big Brother fleecing gun owners I don't know what is
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yeah... go figure... a fee.

Yeah... go figure. The government wants a fee. Give the progressives another four years and you won't have to worry about it. The 33-round mag AND the firearm will both be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I would be dissapointed in a vendor that chooses to ignore current law and try to enforce a law that doesn't even apply to me, just bevause I live in the same county.
    I know Aimsurplus has had Ohio on the "won't ship" list for both Galil's that came w/35 round mags, as well as 50 and 75 round AK drums. And they are based down in this part of the state.

For anyone else who cares, the law is in ORC 2923.11 (E)
    (E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.
    Makes me wonder about the current belt fed semi-autos, like RPD clones you can buy, now I have research to do.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

What permit are you talking about? Can you cite the code in the ORC that allows for this?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

ORC 2923.11 and ORC 2923.18

ORC 2923.11 as mentioned above describes the dangerous ordinance, specifically a firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading.

ORC 2923.18 defines the license or temporary permit and the process to use the dangerous ordnance. This section defines the information needed on the application form.

You need to state a "qualification" for the license. On my form I stated that the purpose for use of the dangerous ordinance to be for all lawful purposes. This is consistent with 2923.18, A, 5.

On my form I stated that this is a permanent license. This is consistent with 2923.18, D, which states "the expiration date, if any."

As noted in 2923.18, F, that the "holder of a license may use such dangerous ordnance anywhere in the state."

It is my opinion, as mentioned earlier in this post, the enforcement is weak and -probably- not used as a primary offense. On the other hand, attitudes and enforcement issues can change. For $50 and piece of mind, I decided to get the license. Your thinking and mileage may vary.

At one time, there was the appropriate form on the Buckeye Firearms site. I don't see it there anymore. Perhaps it got lost during a website re-design. If anyone knows anyone over at Buckeye, you could ask and share the info with us.

ORC 2923.11 as mentioned above describes the dangerous ordinance, specifically a firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading.

ORC 2923.18 defines the license or temporary permit and the process to use the dangerous ordnance. This section defines the information needed on the application form.

You need to state a "qualification" for the license. On my form I stated that the purpose for use of the dangerous ordinance to be for all lawful purposes. This is consistent with 2923.18, A, 5.

On my form I stated that this is a permanent license. This is consistent with 2923.18, D, which states "the expiration date, if any."

As noted in 2923.18, F, that the "holder of a license may use such dangerous ordnance anywhere in the state."

It is my opinion, as mentioned earlier in this post, the enforcement is weak and -probably- not used as a primary offense. On the other hand, attitudes and enforcement issues can change. For $50 and piece of mind, I decided to get the license. Your thinking and mileage may vary.

At one time, there was the appropriate form on the Buckeye Firearms site. I don't see it there anymore. Perhaps it got lost during a website re-design. If anyone knows anyone over at Buckeye, you could ask and share the info with us.
    Thanks, I'd never run across that bit of the ORC. Do you know, is it the firearm or magazine that it applies to?

I really wish we would just change the law. But first we need to fix the definition of a loaded gun in a vehicle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

You asked: Do you know, is it the firearm or magazine that it applies to?

Well, IMHO it's the loaded magazine IN the firearm that creates the violation. For instance, a Glock 17 loaded with its standard 17+1 magazine is perfectly legal. That same Glock 17 with a 33+1 round magazine is in violation.

You asked: Do you know, is it the firearm or magazine that it applies to?

Well, IMHO it's the loaded magazine IN the firearm that creates the violation. For instance, a Glock 17 loaded with its standard 17+1 magazine is perfectly legal. That same Glock 17 with a 33+1 round magazine is in violation.
    I was just wondering how they track it. I understand that it is the combination together which makes the violation, which actually complicates things. But if I have a 33 round mag, and a Glock 17, and Glock 19, could I use it in either once I get the permit? Or if I had multiple 33 rounders, would I need a permit for each?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I was just wondering how they track it. I understand that it is the combination together which makes the violation, which actually complicates things. But if I have a 33 round mag, and a Glock 17, and Glock 19, could I use it in either once I get the permit? Or if I had multiple 33 rounders, would I need a permit for each?
    First and foremost, I am not an attorney. Keep that in mind. That said, I don't think anyone tracks anything. I think you get caught with a 33-round mag in a Glock, or a drum mag on a Thompson, or a 30+ whatever on a whatever, you get asked: "You got a license for that?" I say, "I sure do." End of story. Multiple Glocks? IMHO, so what. Multiple 33 mags? So what again. Semper Fi, by the way.

First and foremost, I am not an attorney. Keep that in mind. That said, I don't think anyone tracks anything. I think you get caught with a 33-round mag in a Glock, or a drum mag on a Thompson, or a 30+ whatever on a whatever, you get asked: "You got a license for that?" I say, "I sure do." End of story. Multiple Glocks? IMHO, so what. Multiple 33 mags? So what again. Semper Fi, by the way.
    Don't worry, I take legal advice I find on the internet with as much worth as I spent for it. I knew about the 31 round capacity, but have never heard anyone mention permits for getting around it, so I was just curious as to the process. I'll talk to my lawyer at some point and see what he comes up with. I just know the state can have goofy firearms laws (a "loaded" firearm in a vehicle the prime example) and was wondering which component they considered the "controlled" part, for lack of a better term.
    Semper Fi to you as well, always nice to have more buckeyes and jarheads around here.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I'd say drill a hole above the 30rd mark and put a pin in there to keep the follower from going any further down.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Wouldn't it just be easier to have two 17 round mags equaling 34 rounds? I guess I just don't see the point.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    It's like suppressors in (I believe) Washington state. Legal to own, but illegal to use.
    Not any more, we changed that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links