Legalities of 33 Round Glock Mags in Ohio.

This is a discussion on Legalities of 33 Round Glock Mags in Ohio. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a 33 Round 9mm Glock Mag. I mainly bought it because it was a good price and it seems they're becoming scarce. So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I purchased a 33 Round 9mm Glock Mag. I mainly bought it because it was a good price and it seems they're becoming scarce.

So far in reading around it seems that the magazine would be illegal to insert into my Glock 19.

Ohio law states any gun capable of firing more than 31 rounds (30+1) is considered an automatic weapon and therefore is classified as destructive ordinance.

I can take off the plus two extension but that only gets me down to 31 rounds.

Does anyone know of a way to permanently and legally make the magazine only hold 30.

It's not a huge deal I'm not going to be carrying this magazine but I do want to be able to take it to the range.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    could always insert some kind of plastic block in the bottem of the mag well above the mag floorplate and below the spring that would compress the spring and make it have a smaller magazine capacity
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

remove +2, put it on another mag, add small plug on the inside the mag...

Dont buy it....seriously that would make a bad criminal charge.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Dont buy it....seriously that would make a bad criminal charge.
    What would?

The mag itself is not illegal.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

If the mag itself isn't illegal then why are you worried about it, why are you wanting to change it or permanently and legally make it only hold 30 rds?

Seems your either asking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist or you're concerned over the legality of your recent purchase.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I am surprised you got somebody to ship it to you. From whom did you buy it?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If the mag itself isn't illegal then why are you worried about it, why are you wanting to change it or permanently and legally make it only hold 30 rds?

Seems your either asking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist or you're concerned over the legality of your recent purchase.
    The Magazine isn't illegal. There's is no law stating one cannot own a high capacity magazine.

The issue comes into play when I want to USE the mag. For the range, not planning on carrying the monster.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I am surprised you got somebody to ship it to you. From whom did you buy it?
    44mags.com

I don't know of any websites that wont ship one to Ohio.

Because once again. The Magazine is not illegal.

They sell these mags at almost every gun store here. I've seen many people using them and I doubt they modified them to only hold 30. Majority of people I've talked to aren't even aware of the law.

Consensus seem to be that it's one of those laws that they're not gonna peg u with unless you did something else. I don't wanna take that chance.

So I'm looking for a way to make it legal to USE. Or I'm just gonna keep it and see if they get banned, so I can keep it and let it's value increase.

I understood what you meant. It's like suppressors in (I believe) Washington state. Legal to own, but illegal to use. And what you want to do is alter it so it is legal for you to put it in your gun (by limiting it to only 30 rounds permanently.)

I've never heard of any company making such a plug though. I'd wait on RamRod. If it's Glock related, he probably would be able to point you in the right direction.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I understood what you meant. It's like suppressors in (I believe) Washington state. Legal to own, but illegal to use. And what you want to do is alter it so it is legal for you to put it in your gun (by limiting it to only 30 rounds permanently.)

I've never heard of any company making such a plug though. I'd wait on RamRod. If it's Glock related, he probably would be able to point you in the right direction.
    Yea I was gonna PM him and Sixto, but I figured I'd make a thread and open up discussion.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    By that definition, every pistol is capable of firing more than 31 rounds ... if you insert a large enough mag, so....
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well I wouldnt want to muck up a good mag by putting a permanent alteration to it. What is the use of having one if you cant use it. I would think also that plug or no, it would still technically be considered a 33 round mag. But Sixto is a LEO in Ohio and could probably give you better guidance towards the law.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    The Magazine isn't illegal. There's is no law stating one cannot own a high capacity magazine.

The issue comes into play when I want to USE the mag.

44mags.com

I don't know of any websites that wont ship one to Ohio.

Because once again. The Magazine is not illegal.
    I doubt Natchez would ship one to Ohio. I could not even get them to ship me regular G17 mags because I am in the same county as Cincinnati which used to ban all mags over 10 rounds. They refuse to apply the Ohio SC ruling from December. I would be disappointed in a vendor that sold me something that, while possibly legal to own, is not legal to use. This is a good way to get your customers in deep do do.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I doubt Natchez would ship one to Ohio. I could not even get them to ship me regular G17 mags because I am in the same county as Cincinnati which used to ban all mags over 10 rounds. They refuse to apply the Ohio SC ruling from December. I would be disappointed in a vendor that sold me something that, while possibly legal to own, is not legal to use. This is a good way to get your customers in deep do do.
    I would be dissapointed in a vendor that chooses to ignore current law and try to enforce a law that doesn't even apply to me, just bevause I live in the same county.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I would be dissapointed in a vendor that chooses to ignore current law and try to enforce a law that doesn't even apply to me, just bevause I live in the same county.
    I am. I vented in another thread here and I cut my ties with Natchez. I got the mags from Midway or Cheaper than Dirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links