BARSKA biometric gun safe

This is a discussion on BARSKA biometric gun safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Also comes in a top opening model: Amazon.com: Top Opening Biometric Fingerprint Safe by Barska: Sports & Outdoors...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: BARSKA biometric gun safe

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    I've got one.
    The ad states it weighs 31 pounds, easy to lift. Do you tether it somehow to prevent a burglar from taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The ad states it weighs 31 pounds, easy to lift. Do you tether it somehow to prevent a burglar from taking it?
    top mount has mounting hardware, as does the front opener... the top opener says could be mounter to floor or shelf, I assume the same for the front opener. Bolting down would certainly be more secure than a cable... but you could probably do either.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

I have one of these front access safes- girlfriend bought me one for Christmas. For a non-fireproof safe that allows convenient access for multiple people, it's great. However, for a quick-access safe, I would not recommend it- it takes about 2 seconds to read your finger and emits a LOUD beep, and sometimes it needs to re-read if the scan failed- I can imagine this being an issue under pressure or in a hurry. Not to mention a green LED and red flashing light when reading your print. If you leave the door open, it begins to beep loudly in regular intervals to remind you to close it. It does allow you to bolt it to the floor or wall/shelf- mine is currently bolted through the floor into the concrete underneath. It doesn't come with much for an operating manual- just a single quickstart page. No way to disable the beeps btw...

For quicker access and no annoying beeps, I keep the M&P in a small gunvault (and nothing else) with a quick combination that requires a fraction of a second to unlock and no electronic beeps. The rest of my handguns are in the Berska.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I could have. But I'm not too worried about burglars. Just like to keep a loaded gun handy to me and out of the reach of grandchildren.
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

My laptop has a fingerprint reader. That cured me of the idea of ever trusting a biometric safe for quick access.

I'll stick with the 4-button GunVault, thanks anyway.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    My laptop has a fingerprint reader. That cured me of the idea of ever trusting a biometric safe for quick access.

I'll stick with the 4-button GunVault, thanks anyway.
    My 1974 Yugo has an Engine. A 2011 Ferrari has an engine, therefore Ferraris suck. :)

Trust me, this isn't the same crappy fingerprint recognition they have on laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    My 1974 Yugo has an Engine. A 2011 Ferrari has an engine, therefore Ferraris suck. :)

Trust me, this isn't the same crappy fingerprint recognition they have on laptops.
    That may be, but when it comes to self defense, simple is usually better.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Really a neat safe, but jeez, it looks a bit huge for the nightstand!

Could almost fit a Barret in there.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Distinguished Member
    How is your Barska safe holding up? Still like it? I'm thinking of getting one myself so I can consolidate a bit and these seem to get the best reviews.

How do you have your guns in the safe, laying down or standing up? I'd like something where I can put 3 maybe four guns standing up (in some sort of rack) and extra room for magazines as well.

I also noticed that Barska and Stack-On now have some identical looking biometric safes with a secondary keypad as well. The Stack-On models are a little cheaper, unfortunately none of those meet my size requirements.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I would like to re-iterate Cornelius's comments. DO NOT USE FOR A QUICK-ACCESS SAFE!! I've had the Barsaka biometric safe for about a year now, and it's really great for what it is. I programmed all my fingers, but programmed my index finger a lot of times. I have occasional mis-reads. I'd say it opens on the first try about 90% of the time. However, a major factor in finger-print technology is moisture on your fingers. In an adrenaline situation, I'd expect your fingers to be sweating as you attempt to open the safe - not a good combination.

I, too, naively purchased this safe, thinking it to be a quick-access solution (before I purchased my first handgun). It's a great safe, but it's not quick access, and should not be relied upon in an emergency situation. My safe is in the (open) closet next to my bed, up high. At night, I put my handgun on TOP of the safe - a compromise between being readily accessible to me, yet inaccessible to my three little ones. I'm thinking a GunVault on the nightstand may be a better approach.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Saw a review of this on another forum, the guy said he programmed in several of his fingers, several times each at varying angles. Zero failures to open.
    +1!!!

Still trying to make my mind up on this...

I know the GunVault Biometric safes are pretty horrible, just wondering how safe a regular gun-vault would be for a child to get into.

Also wonder which ones come with mounting bolts rather than a cable. I guess I could drill through any of them eventually...going to mount on the bottom level of a night stand.

VIP Member
    Whether you use bio or not, these micro/mini safes make total sense for those of us with kids in the house and still want quick access to a firearm. I'm never more than a few steps away from a hidden & secure firearm that's ready to go.

Anyone ever hear of unauthorized fingerprints opening the safe??
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links