BARSKA biometric gun safe

This is a discussion on BARSKA biometric gun safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 Whether you use bio or not, these micro/mini safes make total sense for those of us with kids in the house ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: BARSKA biometric gun safe

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Whether you use bio or not, these micro/mini safes make total sense for those of us with kids in the house and still want quick access to a firearm. I'm never more than a few steps away from a hidden & secure firearm that's ready to go.
    Agreed, I've become quite a believer in handgun safes.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    what if you're taking fire from multiple armed assailants in a surprise attack and your finger gets hit before you can authenticate? then what?
    Man up, pick the finger up off the floor, and scan it anyway
    WHEC724 and Brady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Still trying to make my mind up on this...

I know the GunVault Biometric safes are pretty horrible, just wondering how safe a regular gun-vault would be for a child to get into.

Also wonder which ones come with mounting bolts rather than a cable. I guess I could drill through any of them eventually...going to mount on the bottom level of a night stand.
    I have a GunVault, with the 4 buttons on top. I added some glow-in-the-dark stickers to it, so I can see the buttons at night.

If you enter the incorrect code too many times, it locks out for a period of time. That should take care of any curious little ones. There is a version, IIRC, that will also sound an alarm if this happens.

It has holes in the bottom so you can bolt it into the floor.

I like it - I've even taken it with us when we've gone on vacation, for securing our guns at night in the hotel. Much quicker access than the typical hotel room safe.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I ended up going with the GunVault Multi-Vault 2000 Deluxe Standard, due to some peoples complaints about: Battery issues, Slowness of bio-metric access, more space and the price I got on it.

I have it mounted to the night stand safe and secure. I also like the fact it has a built in courtesy light, tamper indicator, and jarring sensor....and will always work unless the power is out AND the batteries are dead.

I got it from LG Outdoors Sporting Goods online shopping for $98 plus shipping and handling which can't be beat. I'm very satisfied with the packaging and shipping, the safe is everything I hoped for as well. Quick to access and good for keeping the kid out!

I briefly had a Gunvault model but it promptly broke. I bought the thing and opened it maybe a total of 10 times in 2 weeks. One time I go to open it I hear a little click when I entered the correct code, but the safe didn't open. Tried again, same thing. I used the key to open it and change the batteries. Same problem persisted.

If you look on amazon.com look at these safes and check out the 1 star reviews. It seems that many many people experience this same defect. I certainly would not want to be locked out of my safe in a time of need.

I've since fallen back to my trusty old Barska biometric which seems to have a much more robust mechanism.

I have the Barska like in the previously linked video. It works great. Note, in the video there was one mis-read of the fingerprint before the successful read, which made it take more time than normal. Entering the finger at multiple angles pretty much eliminates mis-reads so you can get in quicker than the video implies.

Mine is right beside my bed, on the second floor of the house. I think it gives plenty quick access for my situation. I've timed myself, and determined I can have my revolver in my hand ready to do business in about 4 seconds, from a starting position under the covers in my bed. Any intrusion will set off our burglar alarm, which will give me at least that much time, even if the intruder makes a beeline for the master bedroom.

I do have a question for other Barska biometric safe owners: How long do your batteries last? I'm using lithium AA's which should be about as good as it gets. I open the safe at least twice a day, and sometimes more. Supposedly there is a beeping pattern that warns of a low battery, but it would be good to know when to expect that and not run the risk.

Thus far mine has lasted over a year on one set of lithiums. However, I have removed the "barska" plaque to expose the lock so that worst case I could fall back to the key to open it fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    I have the Barska like in the previously linked video. It works great. Note, in the video there was one mis-read of the fingerprint before the successful read, which made it take more time than normal. Entering the finger at multiple angles pretty much eliminates mis-reads so you can get in quicker than the video implies.

Mine is right beside my bed, on the second floor of the house. I think it gives plenty quick access for my situation. I've timed myself, and determined I can have my revolver in my hand ready to do business in about 4 seconds, from a starting position under the covers in my bed. Any intrusion will set off our burglar alarm, which will give me at least that much time, even if the intruder makes a beeline for the master bedroom.

I do have a question for other Barska biometric safe owners: How long do your batteries last? I'm using lithium AA's which should be about as good as it gets. I open the safe at least twice a day, and sometimes more. Supposedly there is a beeping pattern that warns of a low battery, but it would be good to know when to expect that and not run the risk.

I don't have any experience with this brand safe but I am still not sold on biometrics for a handgun safe. I prefer a mechanical pushbutton lock like the Simplex. Simple and reliable access when needed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links