Legality of Body Armor (specifically in Indiana)

This is a discussion on Legality of Body Armor (specifically in Indiana) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I've been recently checking out a lot of tactical gear, getting prices, and all that. I've came across some good deals and I'm interested ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legality of Body Armor (specifically in Indiana)

Question Legality of Body Armor (specifically in Indiana)

Hey, I've been recently checking out a lot of tactical gear, getting prices, and all that. I've came across some good deals and I'm interested in body armor. I live in Indiana (idk if state matters or not?) and I was wondering how legal body armor is. Is it only legal if concealed, are there certain level restrictions (I,II,III,IIIa, etc)? And also are rifle plates legal? I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me links if you know where the laws are actually stated that would be a HUGE help. Thanks alot guys.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure what the IN dossier looks like, but usually the handgunlaws.us pdf files have a spot that reflects applicable body armor statutes, which you could then locate and read and most states will link to applicable case law to help fill in the gaps.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member
    IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    Sec. 13.
    (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Class D felony.
    This is the only statute hangunlaw.us lists in their body armor section for IN.

If that is the only one, then you're good to go on body armor, provided you are not knowingly committing a felony while using it.

IANAL

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    legally your good to go on body armor, however I cannot see what application you would use it for in civilian life
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    however I cannot see what application you would use it for in civilian life
    Hey, if he's got the $$$, then why not? Better to have it, and not need it; etc, etc...

Besides, the "why would you need that?" argument is best left to the antis. I say if something is legal, and you want it, go for it! Capitalism at it's finest...

I know this doesnt have much to do with people legally allowed to carry, but in some states, you cannot own or wear body armor if you are a convicted felon.

I have a couple of vests. I dont see any need in my day to day activities to wear it, but if SHTF I feel comforted knowing that I will have one more layer of protection while trying to defend/support my family. People should buy vests for the same reason they stock up on ammo or buy gas masks. You just never know if you will need it........
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

cool, i was just curious. not saying that he shouldn't have one if hes not in a profession requiring one, just got a case of the curious bug
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Yea its pretty much like he said. If SHTF it'd definately be nice to have. Right now I'm tryin to save up for another gun or 2, a vest, a bunch of ammo, and some various pieces of tactical gear (mag pouches, an adjustable chest rig to fit over the bulletproof vest, etc). And even if i would never come into a situation where I wouldn't have to use it, I think itd b somethin pretty cool to own. haha
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

blackhawk has some rigs that are combo tac vests and kevlar plate holders, might wanna check them out if thats what your looking for

I can think of many non-SHTF situations for wearing body armor infact some local cabbies wear it and a pizza delivery driver I've seen wears a set.

Can't blame any of'em... statistically speaking both of these professions are far more dangerous than LE. So you'd almost be a fool not to wear a set while driving a cab or delivering a pizza to the hood at 2AM...

Yea that makes alot of sense. And I was pretty sure it was legal but a lot of reasonable stuff seems to be illegal in this country, or at least require some special license. To me it seems like we're getting less and less free. It's starting to make me questions the gov't a little bit, like why they don't want us to have weapons. Weapons do not kill people, people do. And if everybody in the country was armed, there's a pretty good chance there would be less robberies and murders. Who wants to break into a house or try to rob someone that has a FA or AT LEAST a semi-auto assault rifle? I know I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    To me it seems like we're getting less and less free. It's starting to make me questions the gov't a little bit, like why they don't want us to have weapons.
    Welcome to the party,,, better late than never.

At least I'm not the only one that thinks this. Most people who hear it think your either crazy or some "weird conspiracy theorist"

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Used to actually work at a stop and rob on the edge of town at night. Wore my vest all night, it is a useful thing to have sometimes...
    Although one of my co-workers spotted it and called me "crazy", I replied, "I maybe crazy but I ain't stupid" Funny she never worked the night shift....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links