New Homemade single mag carrier. $0.05

This is a discussion on New Homemade single mag carrier. $0.05 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, maybe a couple of dollars if you add in labor for the 5 mins of work. The last couple of days I have been ...

Thread: New Homemade single mag carrier. $0.05

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

New Homemade single mag carrier. $0.05

Okay, maybe a couple of dollars if you add in labor for the 5 mins of work.

The last couple of days I have been trying out an idea. First test was for comfort. I wear dress pants to work, the kind that have the sewn in cotton back pockets. They are wide and deep, and are fairly well conceiled beneith the pants material itself. for the last couple of days I have been carrying a mag, beside my wallet in my left back pocket. It does fall over when I remove my wallet, but then this test was for comfert.

My G21 doublestack mag is about the same thickness as my (non George Constansia ) wallet. Last night I sewed a 2-1/2" single seam vertically in the pocket, making a divider. This is the part that would make blue jeans less likley to be used for this idea. I will have to play with it a bit to keep both the mag and Wallet easily removable, but it does work.

The seam starts about 1-1/2" below the top of the pocket, and does not have to go all the way down. It just needs to be long enough to keep the mag in it's vertical position with the wallet removed.

When I can get the %##$^ digital camera to talk to this &$%^$ computer, Pics will be posted.

Hopefully some here will find this useful.
    Last edited by 4my sons; July 20th, 2006 at 09:15 AM. Reason: change title
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

I like this idea and had been toying with something similar. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Sounds like a good idea, I believe that I will try it.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I've found that my mag usually stays put in jeans and most other back pockets, riding next to my wallet. Of course taking the wallet out may cause it to fall, creating an issue getting things straight again. I just put the mag in my front pocket with a quick motion/hand covering, until the wallet is back home, and no one is the wiser.

Also there is the "finger probe" issue and "snag effect" of getting the mag into action with stitched and flimsy pocket tops.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Could sitting on the mag cause problems bending the feeder lips? Or does the wallet keep the full weight off the mag?

I was having some hip/back problems and recently switched to carrying my wallet in a front pocket.. My surefire A2 fits nicely beside it, so i see how a mag would fit as well

thanks

Brian

Administrator
    Sitting on any mag?
    No, I doubt you could bend or damage any good quality mag by doing that.

Dropping a loaded mag that hits the concrete on the feed lips sure can though.

I've been pinning up or sewing a compartment in my front left pocket for some time as a mag holder.

Just put your fattest mag (I carry both a double stack and a single stack on different occasions) in your pocket toward the front ... take a safety pin or two and pin the pocket so that the mag is stays put (not too tight or its hard to get out in a hurry) ... you can follow up by sewing a seam from the bottom of the pocket up a couple of inches if you like, but I've found that just leaving the safety pins there works fine.

Keep in mind that I carry a Kahr MK9 (tiny mag) and a Steyr S40, so I don't know how well this would work for you Glock 17 guys (might attract some attention of the lady folk )

Great idea. I'll try the safety pins and then sew-up what works for me. If I'm wearing jeans with an untucked shirt or cover garmet, I'll sometimes stick an extra mag in my watch pocket of my jeans. I would prefer weak-side carry but it works for my double stack XD and most folks wouldn't know what it was if they did notice it. I rarely carry an extra mag though. I'll have to try the pocket mod!
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I'll be performing this to the lateral edge of both my front pockets in my Carharrts
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I got my expert wife to sew a similar vertical seam in my front pockets so I could take the clip off my folder and secrete it inside the pocket for total concealment and separate it from mixing with my cards & bills. Works well.

The only drawback to the mag idea I can imagine is a possible "printing" problem due to the thickness. It would take a while to develop, however.

When I used to carry a folder in the back pocket, I found that carrying something thick in the rear pocket (where it continually rubs chairs and car seats) caused a wear pattern around the edge so the object's shape became obvious. I would think that might happen with your mag. I had the same problem with wallets in the rear pocket, so for the last 30 years I have carried nothing in rear pockets.

Links