Review: S&W Galaxy 13 LED Flashlight

This is a discussion on Review: S&W Galaxy 13 LED Flashlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My previous Galaxy had given up the ghost, due to the batteries corroding and jamming inside. Tried to drill them out, but no dice. So... ...

My previous Galaxy had given up the ghost, due to the batteries corroding and jamming inside. Tried to drill them out, but no dice. So... time to upgrade to the 13 LED model. A little shorter, a little thicker:

As you can see, this is a true LED light, with dual switches for "white" and "red" LEDs - the white being the most powerful, and the red for low-light activity. I ding this model for not having a crenelated cap, so it's only mildly useful as a striking tool.

A big plus for the anti-roll notches in the front and back - you put it down, it stays put. It's got good weight. Lumens are not so bright, but the beam is wide. So put this into the "semi-tactical" category.

Now here's a nice upgrade. See the battery cartridge? The corrosion problem must have affected a lot of users, so S&W is trying something new here. The batteries go into a module. This increases diameter (but not unpleasantly so), and reduces length.

This is my bedside light. If I need to get up and not wake up the lovely thing laying next to me, hit the red LED switch and I can navigate where I need to go. If clearing the property, the color red is the best tactical band of the spectrum for not alerting others to my position.

It has good weight, nice scoring on the body for grip, the back cap has clean, well machined threads, and the buttons are encased in rubber to provide moisture resistance. For around $30 on Amazon, this is a good, general purpose bedside light.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Nice Review! I've thought about picking up one of these because I see them on sale all the time. I thought they were more of general use flashlight. I'll put them them on my shopping list.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Links