Whatever Happened To......

This is a discussion on Whatever Happened To...... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chemical Mace? Is this stuff still being used, or has it been replaced by OC?...

Thread: Whatever Happened To......

1943 - 2009

Question Whatever Happened To......

Chemical Mace?

Is this stuff still being used, or has it been replaced by OC?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

They have a combined product that has the tear gas and the OC along with a dye. Here is a link.

http://www.macebrand.com/index.php?m...3e6f655b8fc2d6

Administrator
    Just FYI - The brand name SABRE is a mixture of Military Tear Gas & OC.

Speaking from the purely LE carry perspective, I have not seen anyone carrying actual MACE since a year or two after I started-over 25 years. I was told when I first started to immediately take it off of my belt, as it made people very angry and even harder to arrest if you sprayed them. I have no idea if that was true, but I do know that they didn't think twice about pranks with MACE (spray a callbox, a car) but nobody messes with OC or plays pranks with it. Either OC is much more powerful or the guys are more "professional."

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Our Dept. uses Punch II and i will say it will take the fight out some one, some times. Their is no ideal oc spray out their that will stop everyone, but a taser works even better

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Actually there is still a can of the stuff that my dad kept in the house since the early 70's. I don't intend to use it and doubt it would even still spray. has been kept around just because my Dad's old shelf of old his old cop stuff just wouldn't look right without it.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog
    Speaking from the purely LE carry perspective, I have not seen anyone carrying actual MACE since a year or two after I started-over 25 years. I was told when I first started to immediately take it off of my belt, as it made people very angry and even harder to arrest if you sprayed them. I have no idea if that was true, but I do know that they didn't think twice about pranks with MACE (spray a callbox, a car) but nobody messes with OC or plays pranks with it. Either OC is much more powerful or the guys are more "professional."
    I was the victim of a OC prank. While I was sitting on the pot I heard the sound of something being sprayed under the door. Needless to say, in about 1-2 seconds I was choking and I had to get out of the bathroom. A police buddy of mine thought it would be funny which it wasn't at the time to "smoke" me out. Now I can laugh about it, but I wasn't to thrilled when it happened. Oh well, at least I understand a little more about the effects of OC.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

erh

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    I was the victim of a OC prank. While I was sitting on the pot I heard the sound of something being sprayed under the door. Needless to say, in about 1-2 seconds I was choking and I had to get out of the bathroom. A police buddy of mine thought it would be funny which it wasn't at the time to "smoke" me out. Now I can laugh about it, but I wasn't to thrilled when it happened. Oh well, at least I understand a little more about the effects of OC.
    "Trust me Doc; You're experience w/ the spray was better than mine... My idiot "Buddies" thought that Pepper Spray "On the Toilet Seat" was funny..!" One of them probably "Still" has knots on his head from that one..! I laugh about it now too, but "Man" back then...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Chemical Mace is basically teargas...as I understand it you would spray a person's chest and let the fumes sift up into their eyes. Never expierianced it but heard it didn't work too well...

VIP Member
    Having been "gassed" during several chem warfare courses with CN and CS, and been hit with OC during my LE training, I'd rather get the CN/CS any day of the week. OC just bites.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Having been "gassed" during several chem warfare courses with CN and CS, and been hit with OC during my LE training, I'd rather get the CN/CS any day of the week. OC just bites.
    +1 here.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Links