Gun Belts

This is a discussion on Gun Belts within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that different holsters and belts just work together differently. Certainly, while price may reflect quality, it also should not be the end-marker. For ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gun Belts

I think that different holsters and belts just work together differently. Certainly, while price may reflect quality, it also should not be the end-marker.

For example, my Raven Phantom (set up as an OWB) works decently well with my ARES Ranger Belt, but I much prefer using it with my SOE Rigger's Belt, because the latter's thickness allows the Phantom's belt-loops to really lock into position. Through a typical 8-hour class-day, I usually never adjust or shift my holster. With the ARES, despite that belt being as stiff as it is (also with nearly 7 years less wear than what's on the SOE, plus that fact that the ARES cost about twice as much), it's "thinner" and therefore allows the holster to move along its length until one of its loops encounters one of my belt-loops.

Another example is my PureKustom Black Ops Pro, which I actually like to wear with my el-cheapo Hank's Amish Belt more than with my pricey Beltman belt. Why? Again, it's a matter of thickness: the Beltman is nearly as rigid as the ARES synthetic and offers amazing support, but it's much thinner than the Amish Belt, thereby allowing the holster to again be displaced after more extreme movements.

At the same time, the J-clips on my CrossBreed SuperTuck can't even be pried open far enough to get themselves around either the Amish Belt or my SOE Rigger's, but they're a perfect fit for the Beltman double-bullhide and the ARES's single thickness of "scuba" webbing.

A belt that isn't inherently rigid can compensate via thickness/width.

A thin belt can still offer tremendous support - if it is built stiffly enough or properly reinforced.

It's all up to the end user: find a belt that works well for your intended application. Yes, you usually get what you pay for, but just because a belt is cheap or not made by a renown leatherworker doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to go in to the trash the next day.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rocks66ss View Post
    Is there a decent Gun Belt for less than $100? I just find the cost of gun belts to be a little on the outrageous side. Why is a plain Jane belt so expensive.

Rocky
    I love the Wilderness Belt, i have three with the heavy buckle, makes for nice non-lethal weapon in a pinch, wrap one end around your hand and start swinging.

Firearms Circle

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Yes, I got 2 very nice dressy gun belts (brown & black) for less than $50 each at my local Gander Mountain. They don't look like gun belts at all (until you try to bend them). I highly recommend them.

+1 for The Belt Man holding up a Crossbreed. It's like carrying a heavy backpack, it spreads out the weight along your hips. The Belt Man also sells a great leather protector you should take a look at, very different from anything else I've seen.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Recommend A&G highly. He made a very nice belt for SWMBO a couple of weeks ago. Hand made and excellent quality. Check him out at Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather
    A&G Custom Gun Leather. Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather - 678-520-2695

Nice belts. I'm getting ready to order another.
    Stubborn likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I too, have been searching for a quality gun belt. I have decided I like the Beltman belts, but I am still unsure whether or not I should order it with the internal stiffener. What do ya'll recommend?

^ Welcome to DC!

Going with a Beltman means that you virtually can't go that far wrong (like I said above, there's more than just one concern), but indeed, that's a tough one, without a point-of-reference. The thing is, the Beltman belts are already pretty darned stiff...I'd go with an internal stiffener only if your carry criteria meets what they specifically posted in their FAQ, on point number 10, with the reason being that I think that for daily-wear, a belt that's excessively stiff (like, for example, an ARES Ranger) can cause its own type of discomfort, for some people.

I'd truly recommend that, if you can, you call a few high-end gun/police-supply shops in your area. Metro-Atlanta can be pretty ritzy at places (both of my parents are still in the area, and I did my middle and high-school years there , back in the late 80s to early 90s), and I'd be willing to be that a brick-and-mortar will carry their belts, either under the Beltman name or under their own store name (but known that it's a Beltman - i.e. in my area, Forum supporting Vendor Top Gun Supply).

Alternatively, seek help from your local/area concealed-carry community. There's gotta be one or more "gear nuts" like me - and my bet is that the Beltman, which is almost a standard of the industry, will be among those that they own and are willing to show to you.

Love my beltman! Holds my cross breed super tuck glock 26 all day every day. Totally worth the $$ and wait.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

I recently purchased a dual layer leather belt from A Better Belt USA. At just over 1/4" thick it does a great job of keeping my holster steady and distributing its weight. They're a fairly new company, but I decided to give them a try because of their price. I got mine for $69.95 plus 6.50 for shipping, and it's worth every penny.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

I just bought a 5.11 casual belt and I love it. Nice and stiff but not too thick.
    Question Everything!

Just bought a 5.11 1 3/4 inch belt. I assume the wilderness model because it has the really nice and heavy buckle.

JUST AMAZING. It is ridiculously comfortable and the price was perfect.

I think I will keep the beltman for khakis and such while the 5.11 will get the blue jean treatment.

5 stars, just can't say enough about it. My back is already feeling better.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by xXMens ReaXx View Post
    Just bought a 5.11 1 3/4 inch belt. I assume the wilderness model because it has the really nice and heavy buckle.

JUST AMAZING. It is ridiculously comfortable and the price was perfect.

I think I will keep the beltman for khakis and such while the 5.11 will get the blue jean treatment.

5 stars, just can't say enough about it. My back is already feeling better.
    5.11 leather belts are great. i got two of em. got them on clearance for $5/ea

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    A&G Custom Gun Leather. Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather - 678-520-2695

Nice belts. I'm getting ready to order another.
    +1 I agree "High Pockets" A&G is the place. A great belt and great CS. I got a 1 1/2" tan belt,
    I need to order a 1 1/4 black dress belt from them as well.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just an overall comment about gun belts (especially Black).

Why are the buckles all bright silver or brass (for the tan ones). Yes I know they look good, but that shiny spot right in the gut area and just above your groin (if your a guy) gives the BG a perfect aiming point and makes it easier to put YOU out of the fight.

On all my belts, I usually change buckles to something very dark, this hopefully will deny the BG an aiming point, and allow me to continue to pee standing up.
    Yup, I know that a dark buckle isn't as nifty as something shiny that's enhanced by the contrast with the leather, but I will gladly give up being a fashion statement, to being a corpse, or significantly altered.

Don't think it would make the wife very happy,

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

you can order a black buckle from the beltman, its actually powdercoated too so it wont wear off.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links