Gun Belts

This is a discussion on Gun Belts within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a decent Gun Belt for less than $100? I just find the cost of gun belts to be a little on the outrageous ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gun Belts

Gun Belts

Is there a decent Gun Belt for less than $100? I just find the cost of gun belts to be a little on the outrageous side. Why is a plain Jane belt so expensive.

Rocky

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Looper Reinforced Holster Belt
    I own 2 these and they are great!!
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

My guess: they require decent quality leather in a larger amount than you'd find in a regular belt. They're also often handmade, with special attention paid to quality and "doing it right."

Beltman belts, with shipping, will come out to a bit under $100. You can get one quickly: Gun Belts by The Belt Man | tel. (919) 387-1997 | QUICK SHIP BELTS (make sure to read the directions on measuring).

Otherwise, I've heard people say good things about the Wilderness Tactical "Instructor" Belt. It's not a dress belt, though.
    Tactical Belts, Duty Belt, Military Belt, Instructor Belt

~ $40, before shipping.

Disclaimer: I own a Beltman belt.

I know it might seem frustrating, but I think a lot of other people here (myself included) will advise you to just spend once. I've bought a few other belts, including so called "gun belts," but they just aren't as good as the real deal... you'll end up wasting more money in the long run if you try to "cheap" out.

wilderness instructors belt.

edit: like paul34 said. it is cheaper to buy a quality belt the first time, than several cheap ones that you will be disappointed with later.
    Anubis and Cattus Vir like this.

I use a 1.5" Wilderness Instructor's belt exclusively. If I had to do it over, I would probably get the titanium buckle for the weight (they weren't available when I bought mine). It has been worn daily for almost 10 years and it still looks great and functions like new.

Please remember, a good quality GUN BELT can improve a marginal holster, BUT a marginal belt will make a quality holster fail.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Another plug for Beltman - worth every penny. I probably spent twice that much on so called heavy duty nylon, western, and work belts before breaking down and getting a Beltman.

I bought 2 Wilderness belts, a 1 1/2" 5 stitch and later a 1 3/4" reinforced version. They are OK for a medium weight gun, say 35 ounces or so loaded. As you approach 40 ounces they start to lose out to the Beltman. I find the Wilderness marginal for a full size Colt 1911; mine has been relegated to J and K frame duty. The Beltman 1 3/4" horsehide a will support a 4" N-frame S&W.

So appearance and how much gun you carry should influence your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    Another plug for Beltman - worth every penny. I probably spent twice that much on so called heavy duty nylon, western, and work belts before breaking down and getting a Beltman.

I bought 2 Wilderness belts, a 1 1/2" 5 stitch and later a 1 3/4" reinforced version. They are OK for a medium weight gun, say 35 ounces or so loaded. As you approach 40 ounces they start to lose out to the Beltman. I find the Wilderness marginal for a full size Colt 1911; mine has been relegated to J and K frame duty. The Beltman 1 3/4" horsehide a will support a 4" N-frame S&W.

So appearance and how much gun you carry should influence your decision.
    Just goes to show YMMV.

My 629 is 41.5 ounces light unloaded and I've never had a problem with the Instructor's belt. Add a couple of speedloaders in a split six pouch and my Z2 light and we're GTG.

I don't know the weight of a G-21 w/ 2 mags and the light. I daresay it's lighter than the wheelgun.

OP Stick with quality like Beltman or Wilderness or whatever GUN BELT you find in your research that you like. Quality isn't cheap, but it doesn't need to break the bank either.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Cool

Beltman and Cross Breed are what I have and use and I never paid more than $85 with shipping. Both are double layer leather and they are quality products.

photo.jpg

Cross Breed belt holding up a G-23 in a High Noon Public Secret holster.......

Click to enlarge.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Recommend A&G highly. He made a very nice belt for SWMBO a couple of weeks ago. Hand made and excellent quality. Check him out at Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather

Crossbreed!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I just picked up a Ted Blocker at my LGS for 78 bucks and now i see the light, almost makes me forget that I am carrying

My tactical police gun store sells Don Hume Gun Belts for $50. Also found some nice ones that aren't "gun belts" but very thick and very stiff at the local army surplus store for under $20.

Agreed

[QUOTE=crabbys44;1908756]Just goes to show YMMV.

That was the point of my post. One of the benefits of a good forum is getting different points of view. There is never universal agreement, sometimes there is a consensus, always interesting discussion.

Administrator
    "Why is a plain Jane belt so expensive."

The very best and stiffest gun belt blanks are taken from the area of a side of leather running along the line of the back and as far away from the stretchy "belly leather" as possible & there is only so much of that premium belt leather available per side that will make the most long lasting & A#1 gun belts.
    swiftyjuan likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links