Before you buy the next piece of gear...

This is a discussion on Before you buy the next piece of gear... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Training? Don't you just pick up the gun, aim it, and pull the trigger? What's so hard about that?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Before you buy the next piece of gear...

Training? Don't you just pick up the gun, aim it, and pull the trigger? What's so hard about that?

2. Remove Ads

I am putting money into Training and more especially those classes that come to my major corner of the world near Atlanta Ga. and within 60 miles. I CCW and have taken 5 Gunfighting Courses in the last 18months and want more.....
    MitchellCT and Bark'n like this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Consider giving IDPA competition shooting a try. It's not tactical training; but, you will get to shoot on the move and engage multiple targets. You will learn how well, or poorly, you actually shoot and what you need to work on in practice. You will also get to perform under at least limited pressure, the timer - it's a more effective pressure source than you may think. A major plus is that many IDPA shooters are from law enforcement or military backgrounds with tons of experience that they will be happy to share with you for free. Some of the best techniques and shooting tips I've received are from my fellow competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I am putting money into Training and more especially those classes that come to my major corner of the world near Atlanta Ga. and within 60 miles. I CCW and have taken 5 Gunfighting Courses in the last 18months and want more.....
    Training junkie like me, aren't you.

You love the rush...the hit of the muzzle blast and the smell of the powder burning in the air...Yeah...

You feel it now, don't you...like nothing else isn't it?

That feeling the next day at work when everything seems so 'plastic' and boring, as if it's not real, just a TV show you are watching instead of life...

It's an addiction. And I don't want a cure.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ For me, the addiction is the learning - and knowing that I've taken one more step towards making myself and my loved ones safer. I'm actually repeating a course that I took a couple of months ago, because I am a beginner, and because I know that I have more to take home from that course - techniques and practices that I was not able to fully absorb, my first time out.

I've started adding physical conditioning, hand-to-hand, and knife work to my training. It all starts next Sunday, and I can't wait to get out on the mats again. It's been nearly 20 years since I last saw the mats from up-close (i.e. with my nose ), so I'm sure it will be more than a humbling experience. That I'm lucky enough to have the instruction of someone who is well-regarded in what he does just adds icing to the cake, and I'm now chomping at the bit to get fit again.

Blue Thunder, that part about taking the classes when they come, that's a really good goal for you to have. I still regret, years ago, when the opportunity presented, that I did not "make time" to take a class by Michael Janich. I've made a promise to myself that any time such an opportunity arises in my future, I'll make the time to train.

Sigh...reading JD's TDI Three-Day Handgun report makes me want to go out there, now....maybe next summer!

-----

chasbo, that's a great thought about joining into the competition world. Movement is one of the areas I really need - and want - to work on.

Good thread. It is much better to be proficient with gear that can do the job instead of having all these cool, new toys that you are just that, cool. If you cannot use them effectively, they aren't worth very much.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Back to the basic's. Next weekend we are attending an NRA Introduction class with a couple of ladies my wife works with. At first I did not want to go with them but figured it would be a good way to refresh myself with the basics and spend time with my wife.

Using basics I put a 9mm out of a Glock 26 through my buisness card hanging from a clip at 25 feet in front of the people at the next stall at the range.

Not clipped the edge...centerpunched it.

I think I impressed...and if they ever have an issue related to guns...or know someone who does...I got me new clients.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links