Before you buy the next piece of gear...

This is a discussion on Before you buy the next piece of gear... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before putting money down on another piece of gear, ask yourself this question: Will I get more out of this money if I spent it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Before you buy the next piece of gear...

Before putting money down on another piece of gear, ask yourself this question:

Will I get more out of this money if I spent it on training (including ammo, lodging, travel and food) than on this piece of gear?

The answer is NOT always yes.

A really good holster that allows for better consealment of a bigger weapon, like a C-Tac is not cheap. A good belt that holds the weight of a weapon and doesn't make you look like you have a colostomy bag is not cheap.

1st rate guns - that's some serious cash to lay out...

But...

If the answer is "no"...Don't fall for marketing.

Don't fall for the "latest and greatest" or the feeling what you have is crap because it isn't NP3 coated, worked on by a famous gunsmith, or it's just not cool.

If you have a functional setup - be it handgun, rifle or shotgun - and you are looking to spend money to "upgrade" ask yourself if you should be upgrading your gear...

Or YOU

That is all.
    JD, TSiWRX, ccman and 4 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Aree. When I was a kid I shot flys and bees out of the air with a BB gun becaus that's all I had and I shot that BB gun until I wore it out. Then my Dad gace me a used 16 ga Ithaca featherweight. It's the only gun I had until I joined the military. I used it for 100 % of my hunting and I was really good with it. Now I have a nice group of guns and I'm no where near as good with any of them. Not enough range time and too many guns. Maybe some of us do worry about the latest and greatest instead of getting a sime effective setup and learning how to really run it.
    Good post
    Gideon

cj
    Good points. I'm plotting my next training session even though I have no idea when it will be. Interestingly, though, I've also made a list of the cool gear I'm wanting, and in reviewing the list, it's mostly for training (such as some steel targets and some electronic in-ear hearing protection). Of course, I've also got the modifications list as well (grip chop, new stock on the shotgun, accessories for my AR) so I can't claim full exemption from your advice :)

Training gear is investing in yourself.

I bought a Glock .22lr slide. Yeah, serious bling...but it's serious bling that lets me shoot for cheap, so it's an investment in future practice.

Thus, investing in me.

I have guns in my safe that most people would take everytime they hit the range,I haven't shot them in over a year,my problem is with the amount of firearms I have I can't shoot or carry them all on a range trip,so my carry and Home defense guns take precedence over all others.
    I know a guy that asked me if I could take him and his son shooting,I think his son is around 10 yoa.I told him give me at least 24 hours headsup and I will arrange it,This would be a great time to pull out a couple different 22 rifles and 22 pistols.As always we would go over safe gun handling firearm safety,Range safety before a gun was even loaded
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am/ have been investing in me, other than picking up two 380's. Extended range time, a couple of tactic's (defensive, weapon retention ect) classes paid for and scheduled. OP thumbs up for solid advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Before putting money down on another piece of gear, ask yourself this question:

Will I get more out of this money if I spent it on training (including ammo, lodging, travel and food) than on this piece of gear?

The answer is NOT always yes.

A really good holster that allows for better consealment of a bigger weapon, like a C-Tac is not cheap. A good belt that holds the weight of a weapon and doesn't make you look like you have a colostomy bag is not cheap.

1st rate guns - that's some serious cash to lay out...

But...

If the answer is "no"...Don't fall for marketing.

Don't fall for the "latest and greatest" or the feeling what you have is crap because it isn't NP3 coated, worked on by a famous gunsmith, or it's just not cool.

If you have a functional setup - be it handgun, rifle or shotgun - and you are looking to spend money to "upgrade" ask yourself if you should be upgrading your gear...

Or YOU

That is all.

Preach brother... Preach!

VIP Member
    This came to mind as I read the post. "Fear the man who has but one gun and knows how to use it?"

Good post. I find myself buying more and more old timey stuff rather than new fangled. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Common sense but under unitized. Good points!

It's a LOT like golf clubs: last year's HAD TO HAVE at $499 is NOW SELLING for $199! And the BEST BUYS are always supposed to be 100% + better than ALL of the previous year's offerings. Only the very rich can afford these gimmicky sales talks and, often, the new clubs/guns are no better than the older ones( SEE Glock Gen 4--- as some would refer you--- not me;don't have a Glock!). Common sense and
    experience with what you've must prevail. But, sometimes ,that new gun at the GS.... !
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Ya'll are bringing me down with the gear talk...

It's not about WHAT gear you buy. It's what it does for you if you get it, and if the funds would be better used on making yourself better.

If you have $150 to spend and you can do any of the following:

1) Buy and install Warren Tactical Sights on your pistol to replace the sights you currently have on the gun that you shoot ok with;
    2) Buy a slot at a knife defense class...but you did Kali for 2 years, and while fun, and will get you back into things, it's not realy going to teach you anything new...;
    3) Buy 6 months of a gym membership so you can get buff and fit, so when you hit someone, they break, and when you shoot you wonder why the gun doesn't recoil so much with +p+ ammo anymore...;

Which one is an investment in YOURSELF?

Excellent post. I've been thinking of buying a new 1911 so I could send my EDC off for some custom work, but after this I've been thinking a bit. Instead of tripling the the cost of my pre-series II Kimber Compact Stainless and purchasing another $800 dollar pistol, I'm thinking of just doing the things I feel need to be done and carrying my P3AT full time for the couple weeks it will take to be done (alum trigger, new MSH, internals, and thumb safety. which can be done by a local smith with a good rep). That leaves a good chunk of money for training and ammo.

Thanks for the common sense reminder.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Administrator
    I been beating the training drum since I've joined here. But, I do find myself buying stuff I don't need or even want from time to time just because its cool. I catch myself doing this often, especially when I get bored with my current setup. I step back and ask myself about the theme of this thread. I usually go sign up for some training after that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I dont really buy high end gear but I do buy quality gear. That is way cheaper than the massive amounts of ammo and fees and travel etc for training. The closest quality training to me is TDI in Ohio and still several hours away. The cost of the class plus the ammo and travel is just out of my range for now with a wife in college and me a government employee. So If I find something neat that is within a certain affordable amount. I buy it. Most of my stuff is new or lightly used finds on Ebay or forums. So I dont feel that bad about buying something once in a while.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links