Supressors....Whos got em?

This is a discussion on Supressors....Whos got em? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; where do you live and for what kind of gun? how do you like it (them). is it worth the hassle (ATF paperwork/fees)? i was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supressors....Whos got em?

where do you live and for what kind of gun? how do you like it (them). is it worth the hassle (ATF paperwork/fees)? i was thinking of one for my M4.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Senior Moderator
    I have them and I make them.

I build integral suppressors for rifles. Although I've made several that go on pistols, I generally just order them since I am a suppressor dealer for several different company's.

I live in Arkansas and its legal to hunt with them here. Its really catching on due to urban sprawl. Lots of people are buying them just to keep from disturbing the neighbors.
    I do the Ruger .22 bull barrel and integrally suppress it. Its really quiet.
    I'm also soing a lot of .300 Blackouts on both bolt actions and AR's and some integrally suppressed .50's.

The paperwork isn't as big a deal as most people think it is. Its not much different than filling out a 4473 other than getting the fingerprints or the CLEO sign off. The biggest hurdle is the wait. You cant be in a rush and get one...its just a slow process sometimes taking as long as 6 months.

As for the M-4...
    Although the rifle will be "hearing safe" it wont be as quiet as what you want due to the fact that any rifle that shoots a supersonic round still has the supersonic "crack" which makes it loud. The only way to really quite a rifle down is for the bullet to be subsonic...less than the speed of sound.
    That is where your real gain comes from. Thats why the .300 Blackout is now the most popular thing going. Remington is loading both subsonic and supersonic ammo for it. One just has to choose the load for the application and go with it.
    Very handy and very effective. The Blackout fits on AR lowers. The only difference is that its a .30 caliber barrel. Everything else is the same.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The paperwork is no big deal. I do all of mine using trusts my lawyer sets up. I think the trust is a better method than doimg it as an individual. .22 suppressors are my thing, but I'm looking into building one for a FA M11 and a Sten this year.

If you plan on buying one for an M4, the dealer should help with all the paperwork.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

talk to me about the trust. what exactly is it and how is it better? does cost more or less?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Senior Moderator
    THe trust allows you to add mutiple people to it so that they can legally own or possess NFA items. Also, it eliminates the CLEO and fingerprinting requirerment because the weapons are owned by the Trust.
    The cost of establishing a trust varies depending on how and where you do it.

If you are going to own several NFA items, the Trust is the way to go. Its easier in the long run.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

so if i was to only purchase say 1 or 2 than individual would be better?

Senior Moderator
    I dont know about "better", it might be cheaper.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

In a way yes, but trust me. One or two wont be enough once you see how easy they are to acquire with time and patience. I would take the time to set up a trust.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

sgb
    When I decided to build my SBR I did it on a Trust as it allows my wife to use the NFA goodies when I'm not around. I 've got another SBR project on the horizon right after my Gemtech Halo comes in. :
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Moderator
    One or two wont be enough once you see how easy they are to acquire with time and patience.
    There is a lot of truth to that. Every one starts out thinkiing that they just want one...but theres the pistol, the rifle, the .22 and soon you end up with several.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Trust, definitely. And as already been stated, you will add more later. I started with a suppressed .22 and have two more suppressors and 2 short barreled rifles.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

so ho do i go about setting up a trust? any links

i have 2, love them, a 223 can and 22

keep in mind, a can on a AR is still loud enough to need ear plugs due to the gas system next to your head... on a bolt gun, its great... if u have a piston AR its great as well

One of the benefits of the trust over the individual is with the individual, only the person listed with the ATF application may be in possession of the NFA item.

You can let other people shoot it, but you have to be physically present to maintain direct control. You can not leave it at home for the wife to use if you went out of town on a business trip or something. It would have to remain locked up where she could not have access to it.

This may not be an issue necessarily regarding suppressors, but say you want to get a SBS (short barreled shotgun) or a select fire weapon. If you went out of town, you wouldn't be able to let your wife use your short barreled shotgun for home defense while you were not there. If your wife, or anyone else who may listed as members of "The Trust" then it's not an issue.

At least that's how it was explained to me. I'm willing to stand corrected if someone knows differently.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a couple guns that already have the threaded barrel,I've been kinda thinking about getting one,My only hangup was I didnt know how involved the paperwork would be and if the CLEO would sign off on it. I's also like to get my FFL but I'm not sure what type yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links