Dress Gun Belt: Recommendations Sought

This is a discussion on Dress Gun Belt: Recommendations Sought within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks to all for the suggestions. ABC111, your belts are on my short list right now, and I was about to reach out via your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dress Gun Belt: Recommendations Sought

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

ABC111, your belts are on my short list right now, and I was about to reach out via your website to ask some questions. If you don't mind, I'll take advantage of your reply to ask them here:

1) As mentioned in the OP, I likely will be carrying a Kahr MK9 in an OWB premium pancake holster (front-runners right now are Rosen, Nossar and Brommeland). Total loaded weight of the pistol is approximately 28oz without taking holster weight into account. Given the fact that my work environment requires a dressed-up look (as mentioned, I wear suits and dress slacks every day), would you recommend a 1" or a 1.25" belt? From a style/looks perspective, I am leaning towards the 1", but I wonder if it will be enough to properly support the gun.

2) Would your recommendation under question 1 change if I were to opt for a high-ride holster instead of a pancake?

3) Do you offer tapering on your belts (from 1.25" to 1", for example)? If so, at what price?

Thanks again for offering guidance and for taking time to respond.

Best,
    DSS07
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I too am interested in a good quality dress belt that can be used to carry my EMP or G-30SF. My main problem is waist size. My body has been going to hades for the past five or so years before I had total hip replacements on both sides. i put on fifty or so pounds more than my ideal weight and I have been working very hard to get down from 215 to 165 or so. I carry most of my excess weight right around my middle so it would not surprise me if my waist went from 40+ down to 36 by the time I get back in shape. I'm up to biking 30 minutes per day and eating like a rabbit. I'm hoping to return to playing tennis soon which may help. I have been on the verge of ordering a gun belt many times but the one thing I don't want is a closet full of belts and clothes that don't fit. Some encouragement couldn't hurt.

Holster slot/ belt width/pants loop width

All 3 must be taken into account.The belt needs to be at least close to as wide as the holster slots. Other wise the holster will tend to rock and squirm when you walk. A custom holster maker can make whatever you want but the mass produced holsters are usually 1 1/2" or 1 3/4". I would not go below a 1 1/4" belt. My first suit belt was an Alessi 1 1/4" and a bare "get by" on the width. The length shrank after a few years so when I needed another suit belt I went with a 1 1/2" Galco SB3.

VIP Member
    Galco makes some really nice dress belts. The width is only important if it fits the belt loops on your dress slacks. You probably won't be carrying a 35 oz. gun on your hip in dress clothing but if you are, you can find double thickness leather in 1 1/4." I carry a lighter PPS all day and usually just on a well made dress belt from Brooks Brothers, about $55.00.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    dss07;

We sell alot of 1 1/4" Bull Hide dress belts to LEO's, State & Federal Agencies & guys that have to dress and still want to carry. Take a look at our Website and if we can help, just let us know.
    and you can't beat his quality and service. SWMBO is still raving and showing off the belt Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather made for her.

Checked with my shoe repair man and he suggest Carhartt belts and they seemed pretty sturdy and run about $25-30, so I'm going to try one with my IWB Crossbreed-style holster! I'll let ya know how it works out!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieny View Post
    Checked with my shoe repair man and he suggest Carhartt belts and they seemed pretty sturdy and run about $25-30, so I'm going to try one with my IWB Crossbreed-style holster! I'll let ya know how it works out!
    There is a huge difference between a "sturdy" leather belt and a gunbelt.

I've never heard of someone trying a gunbelt, then saying that the "sturdy" belt had been "good enough".

There really is no comparison.

dss07;

I tried sending you a PM but the site isn't working properly.
    You have some concerns that need to be addressed. When you have time give me a call and we can go over your requirements. (678/520-2695)
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

ABC, thanks for your response. I am out of phone range for the next couple of weeks, so if you can't PM me, I will try reaching you when I am back in the country. Regards.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

AZ

Dress Gun Belt

I started a business exclusively centered around dress gun belts in April 2010 after carrying under my suit jacket for over 10 years now. I was astonished to learn of the meticulous design, thought, and craftsmanship when producing a belt that can withstand 10+ years of versatile daily carry, including a full sprint from time-to-time while still keeping my sidearm snug against my hip.

I'm new to this forum and don't want to offend advertisers by posting links to my site here, but I will give you useful info I found after testing sample belts from several manufacturers (some of which are mentioned in this thread). I certainly have not tested them all, and make no claims of superiority to any untested belts (though it is tough to beat the $60 pricetag).

There is one rule-of-thumb for leather dress gun belts: no matter what brand of "Gun Belt" you choose, a belt with a polymer/Kydex/rigid core is indispensable. Some manufactures include this core but fail to taper the edges to prevent cutting into the leather over time. This problem is invisible on a new belt unless you seam-rip the stitching apart and inspect the core itself. A polymer core minimizes stretching while still allowing the leather to form to the wearer's body contours and distributes weight evenly around the entire waist when worn properly.

Next, manufacturers cut costs by using a low-denier thread or even polyester thread when only 1050-denier nylon, kevlar, or micro-dyneema thread (basically fishing line) will do. For longevity, the stitching must be pulled sub-surface to avoid abrasion.

Belt width: There is a reason I only sell 1.5" width belts even though I could easily accept 1.25" width belts in our stock. During testing, none of the 1.25" belts could comfortably handle a full-size 1911, or even my baby Glock 26 in a high-ride holster. You would have to tighten your belt to the point where it causes discomfort.

Since we're talking "dress" gun belts here, cosmetics are important. If at all possible, buy a belt with a stamped pattern (we have the "basketweave" option), because it disguises the inevitable scuff marks and scratches you'll acquire over time.

My supplier will only stamp the pattern if I order a very large quantity, so if anyone is interested in a group buy, let me know.

Lastly, almost any double-thickness full grain leather belt will be sufficient for daily carry for at least a few months depending on how aggressive your motion is on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dss07 View Post
    Good morning, all. I was wondering if anyone here carries while "dressed up", wearing a suit and/or dress pants with a sport coat. I am looking for a gun belt appropriate for this type of clothing. I was also wondering if folks have thoughts on whether I should go with a 1" or 1.25" belt for that type of attire. IMO, anything over 1.25" looks too casual (and even 1.25 might be pushing it for me).

The belt would be supporting a Kahr MK9 in either a Rosen UPL or 5JR (neither of which I have yet). Total loaded weapon weight is about 28oz.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

DSS07
    Last edited by AZ; April 27th, 2011 at 11:13 AM.

Looper Leather, in OKC makes excellent gun belts, a sandwich of leather top and bottom and Kydex in the center. They are good looking and priced at $60.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    AZ---let me be the first to welcome YOU to the DC forum--great bunch of folks here!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I like and use Galco myself.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    AZ---let me be the first to welcome YOU to the DC forum--great bunch of folks here!!!

Thanks ol' Chap!

I would like to also recommend these fine people. This is the best belt I have ever owned, looks great and performs even better.

Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links