Dress Gun Belt: Recommendations Sought

This is a discussion on Dress Gun Belt: Recommendations Sought within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning, all. I was wondering if anyone here carries while "dressed up", wearing a suit and/or dress pants with a sport coat. I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dress Gun Belt: Recommendations Sought

Dress Gun Belt: Recommendations Sought

Good morning, all. I was wondering if anyone here carries while "dressed up", wearing a suit and/or dress pants with a sport coat. I am looking for a gun belt appropriate for this type of clothing. I was also wondering if folks have thoughts on whether I should go with a 1" or 1.25" belt for that type of attire. IMO, anything over 1.25" looks too casual (and even 1.25 might be pushing it for me).

The belt would be supporting a Kahr MK9 in either a Rosen UPL or 5JR (neither of which I have yet). Total loaded weapon weight is about 28oz.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

DSS07
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

2. Remove Ads

Guess it depends on what you are willing to spend. If price is no concern, from what I hear, you can't go wrong with a beltman. Gun Belts by The Belt Man
    Price is a little concern for me, so I am going to get a crossbreed. Cost is less, and it looks pretty good, to me.

Thanks, Lotus. Should have mentioned it in the OP, but cost is not really an issue provided I am getting a quality product that fits the bill.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

Well, I am drooling over those beltman elephant hides. At $200, they are quite the investment ...but they are gorgeous, and supposedly, one of the toughest leathers you can get your hands on. I plan on getting one once my cash flow is a little more steady.

I'm sure other people will chime in for more advice, shortly.

ntg
    I have some 5.11 "dress" belts. The finish on them probably won't hold up forever, but they are not expensive and they are very rigid providing great support for any weapon. I would add, I have one suit that will not take the 5.11 belt as the loops are not wide enough for it.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

+1 on thebeltman. Mine has about 4 years of almost-daily wear on it and is still great!

Galco makes a reinforced leather dress gun belt that actually looks like a dress belt. It is available in 1 1/4" (SB1) and 1 1/2" (SB3). I have the latter, and it will support a Kahr K9 or 3" S&W model 60 just fine. Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

I've had the privilege of watching the beltman assemble an elephant hide belt and it's nothing but a piece of art that is super functional. Don't get too caught up on the quarter inch, you'll be glad you went as wide as possible since it helps distribute the weight better.

The biggest benefit is that it will last for years of frequent use and look as good as it did day one.

CROSSBREED! Looks like a regular belt, but it's anything but.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by dss07 View Post
    Good morning, all. I was wondering if anyone here carries while "dressed up", wearing a suit and/or dress pants with a sport coat. I am looking for a gun belt appropriate for this type of clothing. I was also wondering if folks have thoughts on whether I should go with a 1" or 1.25" belt for that type of attire. IMO, anything over 1.25" looks too casual (and even 1.25 might be pushing it for me).
    I recently had to make the same decision. After a lot of research and checking out dozens of belt makers, I was frustrated. Although there are plenty of places that sell "dress gun belts" none of them actually look like fashionable, modern dress belts.

In the end, I decided to go with the Galco SB3 based purely on looks. Here is a picture that I took of mine:

I like it and would recommend it. The only problem is that it's 1.5", which works in my Perry Ellis pants but not in my Calvin Klein pants.

However, with my new favorite method of carry which is the MIC holster, I find that it's actually completely unnecessary to use a gun belt -- regular dress belt works fine. If I am wearing the Galco holster, I do need to use a gun belt, however.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I was at very up scale award dinner last evening, suit, tie, you know the monkey suit. Wore a Beltman belt, (Extra reinforcement in the belt) carrying para Warthog 45, owb in a very nice holster by Tucker Gun leather. Not a soul new of anything. I was very comfortable. The belt was $120. With out a doubt this is the best belt I have ever owned. You would be very happy with one. I also own 4 belts from 5.11. They to are very nice belts. Not as expensive as the Beltman but are very nice. If money is not a problem I would go with the Beltman.....
    brylow likes this.

Nobody has mentioned the "real" gun dress belts, which are the ones that are gun-belt size most of the way around (any width you want) but narrow at the front to appear to be an ordinary slim dress belt. I have two Mitch Rosen's of this type, black and brown, and the quality is excellent.

dss07;

We sell alot of 1 1/4" Bull Hide dress belts to LEO's, State & Federal Agencies & guys that have to dress and still want to carry. Take a look at our Website and if we can help, just let us know.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    Nobody has mentioned the "real" gun dress belts, which are the ones that are gun-belt size most of the way around (any width you want) but narrow at the front to appear to be an ordinary slim dress belt. I have two Mitch Rosen's of this type, black and brown, and the quality is excellent.
    Those are called "tapered" belts. And I agree, the design is very good for situations like the OPs, where a sport coat will be worn. They do look strange without a jacket, though.

I know Bulman Gunleather also makes tapered belts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links