Good pepper spray for edc

This is a discussion on Good pepper spray for edc within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School Just like you can't have to much ammo in a firefight you can't have to much spray. I like 2 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Good pepper spray for edc

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Just like you can't have to much ammo in a firefight you can't have to much spray. I like 2 oz as a minimum but as my previous post shows the .68 oz or the ASP Street Defender is the smallest I would go. If it is less than that I for my own use feel it is not enough product or propellent. My $.02.
    Attachment 25119

ASP/.68 oz/ 2 oz
    That ASP just looks so huge and heavy on a keychain though, like it'd really weigh it down ?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

2. Remove Ads

I'm reading some good things about The HotShot™ Portable Protection Device.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    That ASP just looks so huge and heavy on a keychain though, like it'd really weigh it down ?
    Listen. The Defender is a multifunctional defense system. It isn't supposed to be a lightweight piece of plastic you don't notice it's there. It's a striking tool - aim at the temples, wristbone, kneecap, chin, eye socket. The body of the canister slips into a pocket, your keys dangle outside. You learn to carry it, thumb on the safety disengage.

It's probably the best-designed personal safety weapon you can carry short of a cane or firearm. And I say that as somebody who trains with throwing knives, tonki, nunchaku, sai, emei piercers and even more exotic weapon systems. It's a very easy EDC.
    Old School likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I use Fox labs with a holster that clips on my belt. Since i work for government and can't carry it's what I carry.
    Most people don't even notice it or think it's a leatherman or similar tool.
    Leather Pepper Spray Holster - Boston Leather 2 oz 5527

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I use Sabre Red OC and can attach/detach to my car keys.

I carry a Fox Labs keychain version in my pocket EDC and a Fox Labs 2 oz. size mounted on the outside of my BOB. Both of them are the versions which spray a tight stream for more distance, and slightly more resistant to blowback from the wind than the fog pattern model.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sabre Red works for me..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I have carried OC for 20+ years and I have sprayed dozens of people. (police officer and OC instructor) My real world experience is as follows:

Fox Labs FOAM is the best I have ever used. I have never been cross-contaminated with it, and it dropped every person I ever sprayed immediately. The 2oz. can is small and easily carried. Fox is carried by every law enforcement agency in my area. I can't say enough about how much better the foam is over cone and stream units. (Technically, the fog/cone patterns incapacitate quickly, but usually the user gets a lot of it too) The cone units are better for big crowds, however. Some argue that the foam can be flung back at you by the suspect, but I certainly never saw anyone capable of doing it. Much ado about nothing.

Sabre is suitable for seasoning your eggs, but not much better than that. I have seen it fail several times. And the cheapie key chain units from discount stores are even worse.

ASP Key Defender failed when I used it against an attacking drunk. My Fox can was empty (totally my fault) and when I sprayed the guy with the ASP, he just got madder and fought harder. The stuff came out in a fine mist, which actually affected me more than him. It was deployed point-blank in his face. The insert was new, as I replaced it once a year, and had just put a fresh one in about a month before. After this incident, the ASP key unit was replaced with an LED flashlight to carry my keys.

Last, but not least: Don't buy into the hype about percentages of OC. In other words, Fox has what appears to be a modest 5.3 percent of OC, when some manufacturers claim up to 15 or 20 percent. The 5.3 formula works just as well, but decontamination is much quicker. Don't care about that? You will if YOU accidentally get some of it! The old 10 percent stuff we used to carry was terrible to decontaminate. I would put Fox 5.3 against other manufacturer's "bear stopper" formulas of supposedly higher percentage.

Hope this helps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links