Good pepper spray for edc

This is a discussion on Good pepper spray for edc within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to add a smaller pepper spray to my keychain or pocket carry. I used to have some but its pretty much run ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Good pepper spray for edc

I am looking to add a smaller pepper spray to my keychain or pocket carry. I used to have some but its pretty much run out its time so I am hoping some of you who consistently carry pepper/oc spray can recommend some good companies and products.

I am primarily concerned with the size, ease of use, and not having an accidental use. Regarding the Accidental use, I have had it happen to me before, wasnt a whole lot of fun. Would prefer that doesnt happen again.

There are several brands with good reps, personally I carry Fox Labs.
    RevolvingMag and Bark'n like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Kimber makes the pepper blaster which is about the size of a .25 or something, but the nice thing about their design is it is based on two chemicals mixing to create a reaction, so it won't loose pressure. Two shots and discard. gun-like shape makes for quick acquisition and presentation from the pocket.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Check out their keychain units.
    J&L Self Defense Products.
    J&L Click Here.
    Great Honest Company. Always Fresh Recent Manufacture product.
    Credit Card Safe. Phone in your order. Lightning fast delivery. I have dealt with them for years.

FYI....Their DPS is the identical in formulation to FOX LABS but, as a plus it has a few feet of extra distance advantage.
    I have purchased at least 50 of them from J&L to date.

Buy some extra ones. Your friends & relatives will want one.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Check out their keychain units.
    J&L Click Here.
    Great Honest Company. Always Fresh Recent Manufacture product.
    Credit Card Safe. Phone in your order. Lightning fast delivery. I have dealt with them for years.

FYI....Their DPS is the identical in formulation to FOX LABS but, as a plus it has a few feet of extra distance advantage.

Buy some extra ones. Your friends relatives will want one.
    I have used the same company for years...buy an extra to experiment with: How far will it spray? What is the difference in fog, stream, or spray? Spray some into the wind and you'll get a bit back in your face...can you handle that or become a worse victim?

Just a few points to ponder...know your choice of weapon.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I should add. Do not "test" spray the keychain unit that you carry. They are slightly over filled and individually tested for function after filling. That is partly what you're paying for with regard to the retail price.
    It will work but, remember that the keychain units are small and you don't want to use up contents testing it - so...it works...but, you hardly have any remaining when you really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have used the same company for years...buy an extra to experiment with: How far will it spray? What is the difference in fog, stream, or spray? Spray some into the wind and you'll get a bit back in your face...can you handle that or become a worse victim?

Just a few points to ponder...know your choice of weapon.OMOYMV
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Oh I have been sprayed. A bunch. During riots, during training, for fun.

I hate it. Hate it. Especially with Asthma and glasses. But good advice and Thank You for the links. Those look great.

For the keychain, the ASP Street Defender is the way to go.

Activation is simple: you flip the lock to the left and the brass post is the firing button. The long aluminum body gives you a great sight radius. The formula is in the "medium" range. Not the hottest, but not the worst. From my own testing, I can say with assurance that if you got a blast of this in your eyes and nose, you would be very unhappy.

Range is very short with this weapon. Realistically, 3 feet. On the other hand, the Defender is in itself a kubotan. You can jab and strike with it, and when you're out and about, the shaft slides into a pocket, making for very easy carry. Replacement cartridges are readily available. So I endorse this system because the delivery unit and the payload combine very well.

Also, even though the cost is around $15 plus shipping, the brass quick-disconnect fitting made for the Defender is well worth the money and I use it. At an airport, it's very easy to detach the canister from your keyring. The entire package is thus around $50 but it's the best complete CS defense system you can buy.

For range and firepower, Foxlabs probably has the superior product, but the canister is not a weapon and you need some kind of holster to make it work right. Where ASP cracked the code was to make a weapon that fits on your keychain, and includes a CS option. Any good defensive tool will have multiple uses like this.

Remember, CS spray is not a game-ender. It is not a handgun. All it needs to do is help tilt the odds in your favor. If I have to engage with you, and if I have a choice, I would rather we start with you having a faceful of CS spray in your eyes and up your nose, and we'll see how it goes from there.

Some people here say that they have taken full shots to the face and felt no effect at all. They just laugh and proceed. I think anyone saying that is a bald-faced liar. This is basically aerosolized habenero juice. It hurts just to get that on your fingers. In the mucus membranes, it's going to be deck.
    Old School likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My fiancee carries a Fox Labs key chain unit with the green dye in it. I need to get myself one.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I agree with Shockwave, CN, OC is often not a game ender. It is to buy me an edge, whether to engage or split.
    oneshot and Bark'n like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

For keychain I like either the ASP Key Defender or the small units from Mace (MSI). Those are hard plastic with a safety flip-top. Had great luck with those for years. I carry one in my gear bag at work and beat it up with no issues. For pocket carry I think the Kimber wins. I know lots of people who carry that when they need to appear unarmed at work.
    Old School likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    There are many times when I feel having my pepper spray is just as important as a firearm.

I carry a small can on Saber that fits in my pocket nicely. In the winter(when I have more pockets) I carry a can of Freeze +P but it's too big for normal pockets. I'd like to find a holster for the Freeze so that I could carry it on my belt.

It's all about escalation of force and I want more.

I have a gun, but that's last resort.
    I have a knife, but that's if the gun for some reason didn't work
    I have a flashlight that's good for striking, but that's super close work, don't really like that option if he has a knife, probably hit him with the light since its 220 lumens and book it.
    But OC spray gives you option 4. A range in which you can fire the OC from while still having your strong arm on your pistol. A secondary non lethal option.

I would much, much rather have to explain macing someone than explain a self defense shooting.
    shockwave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The best and toughest pepper sprays on the market are made by Sabre and Fox Labs.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    Oh I have been sprayed. A bunch. During riots, during training, for fun.

I hate it. Hate it. Especially with Asthma and glasses. But good advice and Thank You for the links. Those look great.
    thats my personal concern about carrying some. as an ashmatic, if i get back spray will it do more to me then him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links