mag or clip?

This is a discussion on mag or clip? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to say this, but what is the difference?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: mag or clip?

mag or clip?

Sorry to say this, but what is the difference?
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Basically a magazine is a device that holds ammo that is inserted into the firearm. A clip is a device that holds ammo that is then inserted into a magazine. Like the enbloc clip of the Garand. As we know many people just call a magazine a clip or use the terms interchangeably which is technically incorrect.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

A "clip" is a device that holds a number of cartridges together, typically by their rims, to be inserted into the magazine of a firearm. A lot of military ammunition is packaged on "stripper" clips, where the leading edge of the clip engages a feature on the magazine or the gun itself, and the cartridges slide into the magazine as pressure is applied to the top round.

A magazine is the device used to store or feed cartridges into a repeating firearm. The magazine is not necessarily removable, examples being the tubular magazine on a .22 repeater or a Winchester 94. Probably most bolt-action centerfire rifles have fixed magazines. Detachable magazines are the ones that make the news... these are the ones that feed our semi-automatic handguns and most military-style rifles these days (FAL, AR, AK, etc.), and often can be had in "high capactiy" configurations.

On the gun forums we're generally a bunch of purists so some hackles get raised when people talk about clips when they really mean magazines. )My personal irritant is the misuse of the term "tarmac" to describe part of an airport, instead of a paving material.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thank you very much.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My personal irritant is the misuse of the term "tarmac" to describe part of an airport, instead of a paving material.)
    Interesting...
    Our family used to live out in the Aleutian Islands (Adak Naval Airstation). The military and the big construction company there (my friend ran Aleutian Construction) referred to that area of the airport where your gear was taken off the plane and searched as the Tarmac. I asked (can't remember when, exactly) why it was called the Tarmac and was told that is was the surface of the road...the actual material used to build it, but they still called that area the Tarmac. Never heard it referred to in any other way, nor did anyone ever seem to think that it was odd.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"Clip" is what happens at the Doctors office when u don't want anymore kids,a "magazine" is what you nervously read while waiting for the "clip"
    msgt/ret and Old School like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The Brits are somewhat to blame. "Tarmac" is the name they gave to the "macadam" paving method (layers of different-sized stones compacted together) with an asphalt binder, what we call bituminous or asphalt here in the States. The usage of "tarmac" to describe where the planes were parked dates back to pre-WWII days and was simply to differentiate it from unpaved areas. These days there's scant "tarmac" to be found at airports - nearly all the paving is concrete.

The use of "tarmac" as an area at an airport seems to have gained popularity after the notorious 1985 hijacking of a TWA aircraft in Beirut, and with live BBC television coverage the body of American sailor Stethem was dumped and lay on "the tarmac." American newscasters and reporters picked up on the term and made it part of their aviation lexicon.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

So, I'll ask, and I'm not joking, is a speedloader a clip , and the cylinder of a revolver a non removable magazine???

And, I always thought it was funny why the media called the airport concrete "tarmac"!!!!

Cattus Vir likes this.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For some it's the clip/magazine debacle. For others, it's the you're/your or to/too/two fiasco. If you are outta ammo and ask for a new clip and someone hands you a fresh, loaded magazine, effective communication has occured, no matter what you call it.

As for tarmac, during my years in the Air Force that was always the asphalt-paved parking ramps, not the concrete parking ramps. We didn't have much use for tarmac; the B-52s tended to sink through it!
    Last edited by OldVet; May 8th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Gangbangers usually say clips when they talk about magazines.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by whodog View Post
    So, I'll ask, and I'm not joking, is a speedloader a clip , and the cylinder of a revolver a non removable magazine???

And, I always thought it was funny why the media called the airport concrete "tarmac"!!!!
    No, magazines and clips relate to semi & automatic firearms. NOT REVOLVERS.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    No, magazines and clips relate to semi & automatic firearms. NOT REVOLVERS.
    Not really. My Mosin Nagant is loaded from a clip, and my Enfield No. 4 has a magazine.

Just saw this in another forum (A little snarky, but does get the definition right):

Another favorite:

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For some it's the clip/magazine debacle. For others, it's the you're/your or to/too/two fiasco. If you are outta ammo and ask for a new clip and someone hands you a fresh, loaded magazine, effective communication has occured, no matter what you call it.
    Don't get me started. . . it's not a difficult language to learn, especially if you grew up speaking it. Also. . . "They're leaving their stuff over there"
    gasmitty likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links