ivory on my carry gun? - Page 2

ivory on my carry gun?

This is a discussion on ivory on my carry gun? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All I can say about that is: Great Minds Think Alike!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ivory on my carry gun?

Administrator

Post Attention erh ~ D_MN if you didn't just "Steal my line..!

All I can say about that is:

Great Minds Think Alike!

erh

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    All I can say about that is:

Great Minds Think Alike!
    "Here, Here..!" Must be the case..! (LOL..!)
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

I too like smooth pretty grips. I realized that when I grip my pistol, the grips do very little in the holding on to it, department. The Front Strap and Mainspring Housing are where the true grip is. The right side grip is barely, if at all, in contact with my hand and on the left, it is only my fingertips and the inside of my thumb.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Ok, I like ivory and have worked my fair share on knife handles and scrimshaw pieces back when my wife did scrimshaw. Mammoth ivory is wonderful to work and the rarest, prettiest stuff was the "blue" ivory. It's blueish color is from mineral impregnation. Elephant was the next best to work with. Hippo was a pain followed by pig. The down side to ivory is it does NOT like rapid humidity change. It is very prone to cracking under conditions of rapidly changing moisture. Saw many an ivory custom knife handle crack when taken into a highly AC'ed show after being in a warm humid climate. The Vegas show and ivory handles where strictly verbotten. The tales of destroyed ivory where legendary there.

If you can work with it's limitations though, it is a wonderfull material that's a pleasure to hold on to, not to mention beautiful!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    thats it got to get me some lol

Administrator
    Temp & humidity changes.

I believe that most of the problems with Ivory cracking on custom knife handles was traced to the fact that the custom makers held tolerances so tight (in general) coupled with the fact that the Ivory was peened/pinned too tight and too close to the edges of the material resulting in pressure cracking due to radical temp & humidity extremes and expansion/contraction. It's likely that Ivory would eventually crack anyway but, the problem was greatly accelerated by the the extreme radical shifts early on.

That should not be a problem at all with gun grips as they can move a bit.

Also Elephant Ivory that is cut directly from the tusk should always be cut slightly thicker than needed and then allowed to "stress relieve" itself for at least a month before being finish sanded flat and made into any finished/final product.

Freshly cut tusk Ivory is almost always under tension when first cut. There is internal stress that builds up inside the full tusk as the tusk slowly dries out.

For use as panels in knives all edges should also be carefully highly polished without getting them hot...even if those edges do not show on the finished knife. That goes a long way toward eliminating any future cracking.

Holes should be drilled either extremely slowly with a brand new bit that has been specially ground to shave the material rather than zoom through it or the holes should be drilled under size and then immediately hand reamed to the final diameter. When the Ivory gets too hot in the drilled hole location it micro~cracks & those can and will usually develop into short "running cracks" following the grain direction from the hole locations later on.
    They will usually be invisible until the ivory gets a bit dirty & then the dirt will accentuate the hair line and the crack will then show.

That being said ~ You just reminded me that it's very important to check the grip screw bushings before installing Ivory grips.

The bushings should be either newly replaced or original in perfect condition & not deformed or burred.

The grips should fit on snug but, should not have to be forced on.

You need to check to be SURE that the grips clear the plunger tube before you tighten up the grips. You might need to remove a small amount of Ivory from from the plunger tube relief cut.

Once you have determined that the grips fit perfectly then only lightly snug up the grip screws for the first few days and fully tighten them but, don't "Kill Them Tight"

thanks just looked at nutmeg wow is all i can say with a mouth full of drool man any other makers engravers to look for? i do like his nekid ladys as i am a colector of art deco ladys thanks agine will be buying a set n carrying them im thinking skrimshawed or plane no checkering

QK, agree with most of what you say but I have seen basic ivory carvings not mounted to anything crack because of rapid change (like a guy who took some netsuke to a Vegas show from the Gulf South). I tended to mount my ivory with just a few centerline pins,VERY lightly peened.

Most people don't realise how long good ivory has to be slowly dried and aged before it can be worked. The best dealer I used had 15 tons of ivory ageing in a special, climate controlled, storeroom. Nothing was for sale untill it was 10 to 15 years old and it was wonderfull stuff to work with. He had some 50 year old stuff that was absolutely primo. He was sitting on all of that when the exports where stopped and everything quintupled in value. Talk about a return on your investment! I've seen some people buy "green" ivory years ago 'cause it was cheap and try to work it. Almost always failed. Hard to rush this material but oh is it pretty stuff!

If I can get to it I will see if I can get a picture (and figure out how to post it) of some of my wifes scrim this weekend and post it. Before she got really sick with MS she was getting very good at wildlife.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erh
    Go for it..!:

Granted; "Not often," but this one goes about town from time to time..!
    Incidentally, "These are real elephant Ivory Pre-Ban's by Nutmeg..!" Mounted on a MK IV, Series 80, Colt Gov't. Model .380acp in 99.9% condition...
    Drooling over that pistol. I've always wanted ivory grips
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    Three books to look out for if you are interested in Scrim are:

Scrimshaw & Scrimshanders Whales & Whalemen by Norman Flayderman & The Scrimshaw Connection & The Second Scrimshaw Connection by Egnath (?SP)

Administrator

ELCruiser

I have has a tusk section expode on me in the middle of the night...not exactly explode but CRACK! ~ Loud & it sounded like a .22 RF shot.

Ditto: Hippo is the WORST & most obnoxious Ivory. It is also grainless.
    I've never had a large hippo tusk or tooth not split even when I removed all of that rock hard enamel.

Oh I would love to see some Scrim pics.

I've already sold most of my Ivory on Ebay but, kept some of the very best for myself. I have some that I brought in 20+ years ago.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

el please post some of her work would love to see it and btw what a great site to get all the info a guy needs i was a little shy about asking was afraid id get the pimpgun ribbing but im going to get them and black crome im thinking with polished stainless safety mag release trigger ect ill post pics when done all on a 400 dollar gun btw that shoots terific

Ivory grips are a class act. Bac Si

Snake, as long as you don't have it gold-plated...
    The black chrome and polished safety,etc., with the ivory should be SHARP! Pictures please!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

swifty i am going with the black crome and polish with ivory but will take a while as black crome and ivory are expensive and also im still waiting for best buys to get my camera back but will post as soon as i get a camera will compile before and after photos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links