Spare Junk in the Trunk?

This is a discussion on Spare Junk in the Trunk? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TSiWRX From experience, I know that they last at least 4 years, in my climate (NE-Ohio) and with my storage methods (in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Spare Junk in the Trunk?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    From experience, I know that they last at least 4 years, in my climate (NE-Ohio) and with my storage methods (in the trunk, in the flashlight, tail-cap locked-out). I change them out after that time, just to be safe, rotating the old batteries to one of my low-consumption utility-use flashlights.
    Good advice. I can get a tester to test batts. I think testing them every few mos. might suffice as well as changing them out in rotation.

Thanks,
    DCG

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ NP. Glad to share with like-minded folks!

I'm a nerdy flashlight collector, but that tends to come in handy sometimes.

Even so, I try not to go overboard in what I have in the car, in terms of emergency use. I keep one in the cabin that's more of a utility item, with more complex switchgear - but an LED, so that it will last a while, should the need ever arise. In the trunk, I have one that's very bright and "throws" far, and another that's either designed specifically for utility with long run-time, or that can be switched to such. This way, all scenarios are covered, and even the older batteries that I rotate out of actively being in the lights can be put to good backup use, for those lights with lower power drain.

I used to watch court tv on dish when it was free. What we are describing is a "murder kit". You know, tarp, flashlight, knife, rope, duct tape. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. Just don't buy it all at walmart and then use it the next day.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

^ ROFL!!!!

I hate to be "cold", "Hungry", "thirsty" or defenseless. My trunk stash takes care of these needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I hate to be "cold", "Hungry", "thirsty" or defenseless. My trunk stash takes care of these needs.
    Agreed. Good way of thinking of it.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    -jumpers
    -survival tin
    -strobe lights
    -reflective vest
    -spare blanket
    -umbrella
    -explosive proof flashlight
    -SAS survival flickbook
    -mini shovel
    -temporary spare tire
    -tire wrench

VIP Member
    I suppose this is confirmation that I have fully transitioned into ‘old’. Back when I had more zip, I too was a rolling EMT/SWAT go-fast ever-ready dude. These days’ I just go with the flow with a j-frame that I only occasionally carry. Half the places I go don’t allow firearms and I live in Arizona!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

^ You know, I wonder about that.

When I was younger, I had nothing back there at all - it's only as I got into the mid-20s and early-30s and started a family that I started thinking about "being prepared."

I wonder if my viewpoint might change, some years down the road, as my habits change.

I'm nowhere near a mobile emergency room or SWAT locker, but compared against 90% of my neighbors, I'm much, much more prepared. Given our current lifestyle, it's a bit of an overkill, but it makes me feel better. I wonder if that'll change, particularly as my daughter gets older and more self-sufficient.

For example, when we road-tripped more, I used to keep flares in the trunk. More recently, I've switched to electronic hazard indicators. I know that flares are good for other emergency uses, too, but they're heavy and took up quite a bit of trunk space in the smaller vehicles we favor.

I wonder if, as the years pass, I'll start having a different take, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Agreed. Good way of thinking of it.
    As I do too ... also add to that portable communications (hand crank/solar radio & 2-way radios), clothing for the season, a long gun/shotgun with ammo ... you might say a mini-bug out setup.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Here in the south, batteries won't last more than a couple days in the vehicle in summer. Don't you worry about the effect of summer heat on ammo in the trunk? I carry a lot of other stuff, but these 2 I currently don't leave in the vehicle.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Here in the south, batteries won't last more than a couple days in the vehicle in summer. Don't you worry about the effect of summer heat on ammo in the trunk? I carry a lot of other stuff, but these 2 I currently don't leave in the vehicle.
    I am by no means an expert by any stretch but I've seen this question about ammo asked on here a few times before now. The response I've seen given by most people is that leaving ammo in a car is okay. I've heard guys say that they live out west where it gets over 100 degrees and they never worry about their ammo that they have in the car.

From what I've gathered on here, ammo is some what resilient. I've heard of very old ammo still being good enough to shoot in spite of having great age. At the same time, however, I wouldn't say that the humidity that your ammo will incur while being in a car won't shorten its lifespan.

Anyone else have any experience with keeping ammo in a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I suppose this is confirmation that I have fully transitioned into ‘old’. Back when I had more zip, I too was a rolling EMT/SWAT go-fast ever-ready dude. These days’ I just go with the flow with a j-frame that I only occasionally carry. Half the places I go don’t allow firearms and I live in Arizona!
    But you didn't say anything about the Buoy you keep in your boot. ;-) j/k
    DCG

What do you guys do in the winter months when it is below freezing for days in a row as far as water in the trunk just a small heat source in the pack?
    TSiWRX likes this.

The only thing I carry in my trunk (well, really it is a hatch on my car) is a spare charging cable, since I drive an electric car. So far, I've never needed it though. I generally like to keep my car completely free of anything other than what came with it from the factory. That also helps when thieves start looking in windows. They'll see that I don't carry things in my car and move on to the next. However, I've thought about getting a good first-aid kit and a few essential supplies and putting back there in the little hidden compartment. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links