Help me out: faulty gunvault

This is a discussion on Help me out: faulty gunvault within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ordered online, the 2-gun larger one, basic model. Got it, got everything set to secure it to a shelf in my workroom, and blam: key ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By HKinNY

Thread: Help me out: faulty gunvault

Ordered online, the 2-gun larger one, basic model. Got it, got everything set to secure it to a shelf in my workroom, and blam: key entry does not work. Using the manual key works *only* if I press the door just right and turn. The programmable buttons work and if the door is open and I move the locking clip to closed it opens when I enter to code. But close the door, enter the code, I hear the clip move but clearly something is worng and the door stays closed. My small gunvault works flawlessly.

So, now this thing is bulky and weighs like 15 lbs. Do I deal with the gunvault folks directly or the place that sold it? This sucks, I'm likely to lose $15-20 to ship it and another week or more of no secure place for my 2 guns I need to store in my workroom.

VIP Member
    Since it is new I would contact the seller first and ask if they would provide a pre-paid shipping label to ship it back for replacement.
    marcclarke and sid1 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Since it is new I would contact the seller first and ask if they would provide a pre-paid shipping label to ship it back for replacement.
    This...
    marcclarke likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would contact the manufacture it may need a quick adjustment that they can talk you thru over the phone. Tehy may be will to send you a new one before sending a UPS call tag to pick up old one.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.

Thanks, CS for the online seller was actually pretty good and they emailed me a return label by COB of the day I called it in. So, while I'll likely have to wait another week to have a hopefully fully functioning 2-gun vault, it won't cost me more than some time and the gas to drive it 2 miles to the nearest UPS center (shortly). So, a PITA, but mild and sometimes this stuff happens...

I just ordered a small standard "one gun" unit and a "two gun" unit both at the same time from an online company. Both arrived and work fine. I'm glad mine didn't have any issues.

Sorry you had problems with yours, but glad they are going to straighten it out for you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Thanks, my first one worked fine and is in-use. I fully expect the next 2-gun will be good to go.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Batty67 View Post
    Ordered online, the 2-gun larger one, basic model. Got it, got everything set to secure it to a shelf in my workroom, and blam: key entry does not work. Using the manual key works *only* if I press the door just right and turn. The programmable buttons work and if the door is open and I move the locking clip to closed it opens when I enter to code. But close the door, enter the code, I hear the clip move but clearly something is worng and the door stays closed. My small gunvault works flawlessly.

So, now this thing is bulky and weighs like 15 lbs. Do I deal with the gunvault folks directly or the place that sold it? This sucks, I'm likely to lose $15-20 to ship it and another week or more of no secure place for my 2 guns I need to store in my workroom.
    I've had the same experience twice in a row now. Everytime I am at sea for about a month or 2, the entry combination does not work anymore and I have to put in a new battery and enter the same combination I use. As a result of this experience, I am going to remove the battery from the Gunvault before being away for a month or 2 and hopefully, the set of Duracell AA batteries do not have to be replaced.
    The combos being inoperable after inactivity for a month is the only design flaw of these Gunvault safes. Other than that, I am still satisfied with it.

Same problem

Im having a similar issue except the key doesn't work for mine either. I can hear the lock moving both when I enter the code and when I use the key but it won't pop open. Worst part is I have a 500 dollar glock locked inside and cannot ship it to the manufacturer. I don't want to crack it cuz it was expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMC View Post
    Im having a similar issue except the key doesn't work for mine either. I can hear the lock moving both when I enter the code and when I use the key but it won't pop open. Worst part is I have a 500 dollar glock locked inside and cannot ship it to the manufacturer. I don't want to crack it cuz it was expensive.
    Doesn't look too hard to get into if it's this style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovjvy...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Dang,if you leave the combination visible on it,it might slow them down for a minute
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just had an issue with my gunvault. Did the online chat with the customer service and in a few minutes i had a new one on the way with a pre-paid shipping label. Mine was about a year old and they still took it back without any issues. Great customer service.

Yes, I know I'm ressurecting an old thread....but it's either that or start a new one.

I purchased a GunVault Multi before going on a vacation in December. It didn't work properly when I purchased it (door will not open when I enter the combination), and their phone-based tech support was unable to resolve the issue for me. When I called back the following day, they were closed (at 3PM on a Friday) for an unspecified reason.

Fast-forward ot January (today actually), and I'm trying to get the issue resolved. I tried their online chat....and couldn't get a response. So I called them. While waiting on hold for 30+ minutes, I tried their online chat again, and got a response this time....but the online chat was terminated without explanation or warning by their operator.

When I finally got through to a live person, they were barely civil and a long way from helpful. They told me that they would send me an "exchange" safe in three to five weeks. Based on this ridiculously long wait time and the distinct lack of courtesy and professionalism displayed by their staff, I will simply be returning the safe to the store where I bought it as defective, and avoiding all GunVault products in the future.

I've seen many indifferent performances by customer service teams in the past....but this one stands out in my mind as truly atrocious. To add insult to injury, when I attempted to let a member of their management team know how poor their performance was, the "Contact Us" portion of their website wouldn't allow me to submit an e-mail or request to be contacted, and their general phone number didn't even go through to a receptionist....simply to a voice mail system with no name.

I had an issue with mine not opening when I first bought it. Seemed like the latch was sticking. So, I just put a little WD-40 on it and the hinges and it has worked flawlessly since.

EDIT: And I should clarify mine was the minivault, but I assume they have the same basic mechanisms.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Sponsored Links