Fat guys and belts

This is a discussion on Fat guys and belts within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wearing suspenders for a couple of years. Mostly under my tee shirt in hot weather. Over the tee in cooler weather with a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fat guys and belts

I've been wearing suspenders for a couple of years. Mostly under my tee shirt in hot weather. Over the tee in cooler weather with a cover shirt. It's a lot more comfortable than tightening up the belt to the cut me in half point I would need otherwise.
    Question Everything!

2. Remove Ads

These are the best out there. Holdup 2x4 Jumbo Clip Contractor suspenders in 10 solid colors for the big and tall man. There no buzz airport suspenders hold very well also.

Button suspenders require you to install a button on all your pants and said button eventually wears a hole and pops off.

Cheap clasp suspenders slip off all the time.

Perry suspenders are fine depending on where you wear them on your belt and where your belt loops are. On my pants they tend to pull on the front of my belt making it ride over the top of my pants due to where my belt loops are placed.

Been wearing suspenders for 25 years, Im a Forester what can I say, started to wear a belt when I started CCing a couple years ago to hold my holster.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    These are the best out there. Holdup 2x4 Jumbo Clip Contractor suspenders in 10 solid colors for the big and tall man. There no buzz airport suspenders hold very well also.

Button suspenders require you to install a button on all your pants and said button eventually wears a hole and pops off.

Cheap clasp suspenders slip off all the time.

Perry suspenders are fine depending on where you wear them on your belt and where your belt loops are. On my pants they tend to pull on the front of my belt making it ride over the top of my pants due to where my belt loops are placed.

Been wearing suspenders for 25 years, Im a Forester what can I say, started to wear a belt when I started CCing a couple years ago to hold my holster.
    I looked at the Jumbo Clip Contractor Suspenders. I didn't like the pin in the clip that keeps it from slipping. Wouldn't it eventually create a hole in you waistband? You'll usually clip it in the same place when you find what works best for you and the weight would stretch the fabric around the pin even more, wouldn't it?

I always wear a Wilderness Instructor belt any way so the Perry's just work for me. Since I started wearing them I always wear them over a t-shirt and just wear a cover garment. Central Texas heat isn't any better with or without a t-shirt. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

You do not have to be "big" to get the benefits of suspenders. More and more LEO's are wearing them on their dity belts. My duty belt with all the equipment including radio is 17 pounds. If I was not retiring this month I would be wearing suspenders in June. My lower back has taken a beating over the years and suspenders is an option I should have tried long ago.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I used to tighten my belt so tight it hurt to bend over, to keep them from falling down. Still had to go to the bathroom a few times a day to make adjustments to avoid a "wardrobe malfunction." Plus my wife was riding my butt to wear my waistline at my waist instead of over my belly, which I'll admit made me look like a dork. Finally tried Perry's . What a relief. First time my boss saw me with them in uniform, he shot me dirty look and a "What's with the suspenders?" I said, "Keeps my pants from falling off." Haven't heard another word from him. Hitching your pants up isn't really an option when you're carrying a patient up or down a flight of stairs, no matter what your uniform policy states. It doesn't help having a pager, flashlight, keys, multitool, radio, phone etc. on your belt.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array pipedream's Avatar
    Check out the hip-clip style of suspenders. They are over the shoulders and down to the side rather than the front. They support a load and not as noticeable. Holdup Suspenders exclusive Hip-Clip line wider suspenders that attach with just 2 jumbo clips at the side of your pants waistline. Perry also makes a similar model. Outback With a cover shirt their not visible.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

The Perry Outback suspenders have a excellent belt clip. Easy on/off. No need to take off outer garments to you know what. Well worth the reasonable price.
    Outback
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The weight just sneaks up on us. It is especially bad for those of us who were super stud soldiers and invincible. Wear and tear along with injuries will have its toll over time.

It feeds on itself. You gain wait due to an injury sidelining you and the weight makes the injury worse and creates new ones. For me, it was herniated disks and eventual back surgery. Now, my knees, ankles, hips and back are a mess.

I have gone through a couple cycles of getting oversized pants for my IWB holster, only to expand to fill the space.

My physical therapist down not want me to run, but that is all that worked in the past. I am considering getting back into running anyway.

Right now, if I pick something up from the floor, getting up reminds me of carrying a full combat load and heavily packed large rucksack. I am about 55 lbs overweight. At the grocery store, I sometimes lift one of those 5 lb bag of potatoes. I could not carry 11 of those sale bags for long, but I carry that amount of excess fat everywhere I go.

I am done with adjusting my clothes.

I bought the outbacks about 6 months ago wore them every day under a shirt,then perry's had some suspenders on sale and bought 2 more pairs at $10 ea. they take the load off your hips and you don't have to pull your pants up after sitting down
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I could see how the outback could be adapted to work with/connect to an IWB/OWB holster. And what about adapting for shoulder holster?

I am about 30 pounds overweight and am not quite at the suspender stage yet. I am trying low carb which is the only weight loss method that has worked for me in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I do a belly band and it carrys the gun and mag with no problem

Here's another vote for suspenders. I'm not all that fat (ahem ... no ... really, that's my story and I'm sticking to it) but I'm fairly short (not quite 5-09) and stout and have a low waist. Suspenders keep my breeches up where they belong without me having to cinch a belt tight enough to hurt my back, even with a couple o'pistols on board.

Biomortis: I like your idea of the under-the-shirt suspenders. I'm going to see if there's a way I can make that work under my uniform. It's (vile curses) poly-wool blend so I'll probably have to use sew-on buttons, but even still if it works I won't spend half the day pulling up my duty belt to where it looks good as opposed to it riding on my actual waist which looks rather less than good.

Administrator
    The important thing is that you found something that is working out for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Have tried the Holdup suspenders and agree they are the best. The clips do not slip off. My problem is being lazy putting them on daily. Guess I will need to reconsider or have pants on the ground. Then that is the current fashion statement anyway.......

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    i suffer from "Dunlap's disease" too. Da belly dun laps overda belt. All the suspenders i tried use thin 14 guage sheet metal for the clip, and once it bends a few times it won't hold reliably. Not strong enough to support a .45 either. I don't like the idea of a belly band, airflow is good when its hot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links